deploying application which uses ado table

2006-01-20 06:58:35 PM
cppbuilder17
I made application that uses Ado Connection to Microsoft Access database
and I use Microsof Jet 4.0 OLE DB Provider as connection string, so I
want to know what are the ways to deploy this application on my customer
computer which uses WinXP. I use Inno Setup to make installation.
I used this line for my application which used Paradox database to
install BDE
[Run]
Filename: {sys}\REGSVR32.EXE; Parameters: "/S ""{tmp}\BdeInst.dll""";
StatusMsg: "Installing Borland Database Engine..."; Flags: runminimized;
Please help me, thanks in advance.

Re:deploying application which uses ado table

so I found out that jet drivers can be downloaded from microsoft site,
as a standalone installation. Also I read that most windows has already
Microsof Jet drivers. So I think I only need to deploy database and my
application and it will work. Am I right!?
Should I use ODBC drivers instead of Jet (what is the difference),
please I need any suggestions regarding this. I'm newbie with ADO so I
would really apprechiate any help or directions. Thanx.
Tom wrote:
I made application that uses Ado Connection to Microsoft Access database
and I use Microsof Jet 4.0 OLE DB Provider as connection string, so I
want to know what are the ways to deploy this application on my customer
computer which uses WinXP. I use Inno Setup to make installation.

I used this line for my application which used Paradox database to
install BDE

[Run]
Filename: {sys}\REGSVR32.EXE; Parameters: "/S ""{tmp}\BdeInst.dll""";
StatusMsg: "Installing Borland Database Engine..."; Flags: runminimized;

Please help me, thanks in advance.

Re:deploying application which uses ado table

so I found out that jet drivers can be downloaded from
microsoft site, as a standalone installation.
Yes, but it's not enough, you need MDAC as well.
Also I read that most windows has already Microsof Jet
drivers. So I think I only need to deploy database and my
application and it will work. Am I right!?
That cannot be completely safe, it depends on your target. On
newer systems your application will likely work, but you can't
be sure.
Should I use ODBC drivers instead of Jet (what is the
difference), please I need any suggestions regarding this.
They're two different ways of accessing databases. Roughly, ODBC
is more standard, while Jet can give you better performances
with MSAccess databases (it's the native way).
HTH,
Steve.

{smallsort}

Re:deploying application which uses ado table

so I found out that jet drivers can be downloaded from microsoft site, as
a standalone installation. Also I read that most windows has already
Microsof Jet drivers. So I think I only need to deploy database and my
application and it will work. Am I right!?
If you use ADO, then typically you need *nothing* to install. BCB needs
ADO 2.5 and XP already has ADO 2.8.
Even Win98 SE has the ADO already installed.
Sometimes, on 2% of PC's, ADO is somehow damaged! Then you can
suggest customers to download MDAC2.8 (mdac_typ) from M$ site,
and apply it.
Unfortunately, the mdac_typ.exe does not work with XP/SP2.
Should I use ODBC drivers instead of Jet (what is the difference), please
I need any suggestions regarding this. I'm newbie with ADO so I would
really apprechiate any help or directions. Thanx.
You may use ODBC, but you do not need to. Accessing DB's directly
are more native to ADO.
--
Best regards,
Vladimir Stefanovic

Re:deploying application which uses ado table

First I want to thank you both on your answers.
I'll have two installations on my cd; one will be my application with
database and other will be installation of MDAC in case ADO is somehow
damaged on customers system so customer can install it from CD.
Again thank you...

Re:deploying application which uses ado table

Note that MDAC is local-dependant, and user with another local than MDAC on
your CD will need to download MDAC from Microsoft site and install it.
Regards,
Vassiliev V. V.
www.managed-vcl.com - using .Net objects in Delphi for Win32 +
ADO.Net
www.oledbdirect.com - The fastest way to access MS SQL Server,
MS Jet (Access) and Interbase (through OLEDB)