Re: Prevent BCB from stopping compile after errors in the firstfile?

2004-02-04 12:45:06 PM
cppbuilder70
Chris,
There is the -i option:
Ignores the exit status of all programs run from the makefile and continues the
build process.
But is there a way to do that for makes kicked off from within the IDE? Or should one
do Export Makefile... and then invoke make with -i?
The whole point of doing it in the IDE is that you get the big scrolling window of
errors that you can then click on to get to the various line numbers of various
files. So make from the command line suffers from some disadvantages...
Chris Uzdavinis (TeamB) wrote:
If there are 10 files needing to be compiled, but the first contains
an error, I think he's wanting to have the other 9 still get compiled,
rather than having it stop the build upon encountering a file with an
error.

I don't know how to do this with Borland's make, but with GNU make,
the -k option tells make to "keep going". Maybe Borland make has a
similar flag? (I don't know and don't have it handy to check.)

Re:Re: Prevent BCB from stopping compile after errors in the firstfile?

Try:
make -f makefile.mak>errors.txt
. Ed
Randall Parker wrote in message
news:40207886$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

The whole point of doing it in the IDE is that you get the big
scrolling window of errors that you can then click on to get
to the various line numbers of various files. So make from
the command line suffers from some disadvantages...

Re:Re: Prevent BCB from stopping compile after errors in the firstfile?

But is there any way to get all those errors output into the Build tab so that one
can click on them to go to each of the line numbers?
Ed Mulroy [TeamB] wrote:
Try:

make -f makefile.mak>errors.txt

. Ed

>Randall Parker wrote in message
>news:40207886$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>
>The whole point of doing it in the IDE is that you get the big
>scrolling window of errors that you can then click on to get
>to the various line numbers of various files. So make from
>the command line suffers from some disadvantages...

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Prevent BCB from stopping compile after errors in the firstfile?

Harold Howe had an expert to do this for (I think) BCB4. It might be worth
upgrading for BCBx
www.bcbdev.com/download.htm
HTH Pete
"Randall Parker" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
message news:4020962c$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Randall Parker < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Chris,

There is the -i option:
Ignores the exit status of all programs run from the makefile and
continues the build process.
This is good to know, thanks.
But is there a way to do that for makes kicked off from within the
IDE? Or should one do Export Makefile... and then invoke make with -i?
I have no idea. This is way outside my "area" using BCB. I'm not
sure that the IDE even launches "make" as a program. It might link to
the same logic and call it directly (like it does the compiler.)
--
Chris (TeamB);

Re:Re: Prevent BCB from stopping compile after errors in the firstfile?

There is the Background Build Expert at that link. Does that have the ability to
continue to compile files after an error is hit?