BCB6 Ent Problems

2004-05-25 09:50:04 PM
cppbuilder28
Is ANYBODY here managing to use BCB6 Ent with any degree of success?
I'm about to dump the product (and go back to BCB5 which worked FINE)
since there are just too many vagaries in the BCB6 product (yes, I did
install the patches too)
Problems like AVs continually popping up in borland dlls (like
rtl60.bpl), a de{*word*81} that takes 2 to 3 minutes PER LINE of source code
(on a P4 2.5G!!!) unless you "Alt-Tab" out of BCB and back again.
Hours to figure out why code that compiled FINE (and ran FINE) in BCB5
suddenly gets hundreds of "unresolved external" errors in the linker.
Does everybody just accept this type of nonsense from the beloved
Borland, or are too afraid to complain?
(and no, I'm not attempting rocket science here, just a fairly
straight-forward multi-threaded BDE app that was completely stable on
BCB5)
TIA!

Re:BCB6 Ent Problems

Recreate the project from scratch in BCB6. Don't just open an old project
as it won't like it.
G.

Re:BCB6 Ent Problems

As Graham says, rebuild the project file from scratch and you'll be OK.
I've been using it for several years now and it's much better than BCB6.
HTH Pete
"Colin" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
[...]

{smallsort}

Re:BCB6 Ent Problems

On Tue, 25 May 2004 15:50:04 +0200, Colin wrote:
Is ANYBODY here managing to use BCB6 Ent with any degree of success?
I've been using BCB6 Prof with fewer problems than BCB5.
--
Andrue Cope
[Bicester UK]

Re:BCB6 Ent Problems

"Colin" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Is ANYBODY here managing to use BCB6 Ent with any degree of success?
Yes. I use it every day.
Does everybody just accept this type of nonsense
from the beloved Borland, or are too afraid to complain?
Of course not. That is when QualityCentral is for.
Gambit

Re:BCB6 Ent Problems

Graham Reeds wrote:
Recreate the project from scratch in BCB6. Don't just open an old project
as it won't like it.

G.
I hope you mean that you can just add the form units to the project and not
have to redesign the forms - that could take serious effort !!

Re:BCB6 Ent Problems

You don't have to redesign the GUI stuff. The most important part about
creating a new project is generation of the new project file, which will
contain the proper pathes, lib references, etc. Once you have the new
project, you just need to add your existing source units to it.
-- YH --

Re:BCB6 Ent Problems

That type of approach doesn't warm me up. Are you suggesting the BCB
isn't clever enough to figure the changes required from a BCB5 to a BCB6
project? I hope not!
Anyway, after a few hours of hacking the xml project file I actually
managed a clean build! Part of the problem relates to the fact that in
BCB6 ALL the files used in the build now need to be explicitly included
in the project file list. This wasn't the case in BCB5 as certain files
were included in other "implicit" ways. Once all the files get correctly
listed, bliss returns.
Still can't get happy though about how keen BCB6 is to recompile
everything - you don't need to change any source file, just starting BCB
and opening a project is enough to get it to recompile, and when that
process takes 5 to 6 minutes each time, the novelty wears off quite
quickly!
Graham Reeds wrote:

Recreate the project from scratch in BCB6. Don't just open an old project
as it won't like it.

G.

Re:BCB6 Ent Problems

Good - I'm encouraged!
Andrue Cope wrote:

On Tue, 25 May 2004 15:50:04 +0200, Colin wrote:

>Is ANYBODY here managing to use BCB6 Ent with any degree of success?

I've been using BCB6 Prof with fewer problems than BCB5.
--
Andrue Cope
[Bicester UK]

Re:BCB6 Ent Problems

Thanks! Sorry - I was just venting! When the deadline looms sometimes
restraint is the first casualty!
:~}
Pete Fraser wrote:

I've been using it for several years now and it's much better than BCB6. <-- 5??
HTH Pete

Re:BCB6 Ent Problems

The only time that BCB6 compiles everything is when you have a pascal file
included. I compile the pascal file and then reference the obj file in the
project and don't have a problem.
BTW, I really do mean re-create the project file. Hacking the old XML can
leave old BCB5 bits which can cause problems.

On Wed, 26 May 2004 08:50:22 +0200, Colin wrote:
That type of approach doesn't warm me up. Are you suggesting the BCB
isn't clever enough to figure the changes required from a BCB5 to a BCB6
project? I hope not!
Sadly it's correct. That has always been the case AFAIK. The only version
of Builder that didn't have problems upgrading projects from earlier
versions was BCB1 :)
--
Andrue Cope
[Bicester UK]

Re:BCB6 Ent Problems

Hmmm, rummaging around in the dark corners of my memory seems to reveal
similar issues going from 3 to 4 and 4 to 5, so I shouldn't be too
surprised going from 5 to 6!
Stuff that one go away with in earlier versions doesn't wash in later -
one needs to be even more fastidious in getting things right.