bug tracking software

2003-08-11 07:49:47 PM
cppbuilder6
Just out of curiosity, what bug tracking software do people currently
use? I quite like the Bugzilla interface, but installing it in a
windows environment seems to be a bit of a PITA at the moment. This is
supposed to be getting better with the next big release, but not with
the current one.
Thanks
Russell

Re:bug tracking software

Russell Hind wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what bug tracking software do people currently
use? I quite like the Bugzilla interface, but installing it in a
windows environment seems to be a bit of a PITA at the moment. This is
supposed to be getting better with the next big release, but not with
the current one.

Thanks

Russell
Hello Russell,
We currently use Bugzilla but have managed to avoid the windows installation
headaches. To do so you have two options, 1) buy a cheap linux box and
install it on that or 2) get your current webhost to host it for you.
We went with option 2. For $20, our webhost was able to put it on one of
their servers that we use for internal web page stuff (we already had a
hosting account on it). Its handy because it means its continually backed
up, and is accesible anywhere with a net connection. Its stored on our https
section, so is somewhat secure from prying eyes, but is clearly never going
to be as secure as hosting it yourself.
I haven't tried many others, so I can't really comment on them.
Vesty.

Re:bug tracking software

Russell Hind wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what bug tracking software do people currently
use? I quite like the Bugzilla interface, but installing it in a
windows environment seems to be a bit of a PITA at the moment. This is
supposed to be getting better with the next big release, but not with
the current one.
We're using bugzilla, hosted on a Linux box by another department. That
makes admin real easy <g>
I quite like the QC system, but unfortunately I don't think borland sell
that as a product <g>
If the buying decision was mine I would definitely investigate FogBugz:
www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/
I haven't taken a look myself as everyone else here is happy with
Bugzilla (and you can't beat free beer!) but if you ever read
JoelOnSoftware you will understand why I have high expectations for the
product.
--
AlisdairM
Team Thai Kingdom

{smallsort}

Re:bug tracking software

Russell Hind < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Just out of curiosity, what bug tracking software do people currently
use? I quite like the Bugzilla interface, but installing it in a
windows environment seems to be a bit of a PITA at the moment. This
is supposed to be getting better with the next big release, but not
with the current one.
We currently use bugzilla and are happy with it. I don't know about
running it on windows... we haven't tried. It is a bit of a pain to
initially setup, though. Adam's suggestion of paying $20 to somoene
else to host it for you sounds like a great idea, if security issues
don't preclude that as an option.
--
Chris(TeamB);

Re:bug tracking software

Russell Hind wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what bug tracking software do people currently
use? I quite like the Bugzilla interface, but installing it in a
windows environment seems to be a bit of a PITA at the moment. This
is supposed to be getting better with the next big release, but not
with the current one.
Bugs ! Bugs !! Who has bugs ? Not me, says chicken little.
For myself, I make notes in Sidekick, but it is a bit unprofessional not to
have a good system. Unfortunately I have seen nothing, both in my corporate
career and by myself, which appeals to me. My idea of a good bug tracking
system is something supremely simple to install and use, well supported, and
very flexible. The vast majority of bug tracking software is a straitjacket
which I don't care to wear. As far as something from the Linux side of
things, a la Bugzilla, I shudder when I think of Unix-style bug tracking
software I have had to use in corporate work, so any mention of something
from *nix which is even hard to install, much less to use, sends me
scurrying in the opposite direction <g>. Ease of use is the big bugaboo (
pun intended ) in bug tracking software, and so far everything I have seen
is way too complicated to be really effective.

Re:bug tracking software

I Installed plone,
see plone.org
and use the collector.
This runs as well as on one PC but I use
it in out intranet so everybody everywhere
can contribute (if testing).
Its a really nice tool, th collector
is a little part of it
Stephane

Alisdair Meredith wrote:
I quite like the QC system, but unfortunately I don't think borland sell
that as a product <g>
not yet. hasn't been ruled out.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
$1280/$50K: homepages.borland.com/jkaster/tnt/thanks.html

Re:bug tracking software

"Russell Hind" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Just out of curiosity, what bug tracking software
do people currently use?
I use TeamCoherence, www.teamcoherence.com
Gambit

Re:bug tracking software

Russell Hind < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:3f3782d8$1
@newsgroups.borland.com:
Just out of curiosity, what bug tracking software do people currently
use?
We use TeamTrack (www.teamshare.com). Works pretty well for us
Simon

Re:bug tracking software

In article < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
XXXX@XXXXX.COM says...
Russell Hind wrote:

>Just out of curiosity, what bug tracking software do people currently
>use? I quite like the Bugzilla interface, but installing it in a
>windows environment seems to be a bit of a PITA at the moment. This is
>supposed to be getting better with the next big release, but not with
>the current one.

We're using bugzilla, hosted on a Linux box by another department. That
makes admin real easy <g>

I quite like the QC system, but unfortunately I don't think borland sell
that as a product <g>

If the buying decision was mine I would definitely investigate FogBugz:
www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/

I haven't taken a look myself as everyone else here is happy with
Bugzilla (and you can't beat free beer!) but if you ever read
JoelOnSoftware you will understand why I have high expectations for the
product.
I tried it out, and I wouldn't hesitate on buying it, if the decision was
mine.
Yes, what Joel writes is an effective guide into bug tracking.
--
Daniel

Re:bug tracking software

We also use it, and it is great.
HTH
Rodrigo Gómez
"Roal Zanazzi" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escribi?en el mensaje
Russell Hind wrote:
>Just out of curiosity, what bug tracking software do people currently
>use? I quite like the Bugzilla interface, but installing it in a
>windows environment seems to be a bit of a PITA at the moment. This is
>supposed to be getting better with the next big release, but not with
>the current one.

We are using Mantis.
It's very easy to install (written in PHP, just need a web server,
better if Apache, PHP and MySQL for the backend database), to customize
and to use.

I think you can get more infos on their web site, if I recall well, it's
hosted on sourceforge.net (project name should be "mantisbt").

--
Roal Zanazzi

Re:bug tracking software

I guess simple is the key!
Both FogBUGZ and Mantis are very simple and straight forward,
while Bugzilla probably has too many things :-)
However, if you need some flexibility and features like workflow,
field level access control, etc., then, they may not have.
Check out Bugzero:
www.websina.com/bugzero/
-S.

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...