Rave vs. FastReport

2006-01-15 12:05:05 PM
cppbuilder83
I'm trying to get my feet wet with Rave in BCB2006 and it seems to be abit
more cumbersome than FastReports and ReportBuilder.
Do others feel that way also?
I'm accustomed to using ReportBuilder (a hacked version that I had to create
since they don't support C++ ), but I have decided to no longer support
companies that will not support BCB.
So, I need to find a new Report writer.
Which is better in the communities opinion, Rave or FastReport and why?
And also, is there a ReportBuilder to (Rave or FastReport) converter?
Thanks :)

Re:Rave vs. FastReport

Hi,
well, I've had the same problem. Before even BDS was out there I had to
create some complicated reports with BCB6 which were difficult to create
with QReports.
After some study I chose FastReport because it was 'easy to learn'.
I would not go with the Rave Borland Edition, ... maybe with the next
release of BDS, Borland will decide to include another report engine,
and you are stuck with 'not supported' version of a 'Borland Edition'
report engine; this the challenge I'm facing now with QReport.
I did not take a look at Report Builder so I cannot give you 'a report'
on that one. :-P
Edwin

Re:Rave vs. FastReport

I actually like Quick Reports more RAD feature within the IDE, instead of
external to it.
However, if you can get used to the Rave Reports, they offer some very
complex capabilities. I wish the documentation was better. It will take you
some time to get used to it and to understand how it works.
Haven't used Fast Reports, so I cannot comment.
"Relaxin" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I'm trying to get my feet wet with Rave in BCB2006 and it seems to be abit
more cumbersome than FastReports and ReportBuilder.

Do others feel that way also?

I'm accustomed to using ReportBuilder (a hacked version that I had to
create
since they don't support C++ ), but I have decided to no longer support
companies that will not support BCB.

So, I need to find a new Report writer.

Which is better in the communities opinion, Rave or FastReport and why?

And also, is there a ReportBuilder to (Rave or FastReport) converter?

Thanks :)

{smallsort}

Re:Rave vs. FastReport

FastReports are very nice and easy to learn/use. The only problem with them
is the lack of a decent support. In their newsgroups you can post a question
and sometimes it can be weeks before anyone answers... if they answer at
all. Not always, but that's the general feeling. But they keep on developing
the product, fixing bugs and improving things, so it's not that they aren't
doing anything with the product.
And, in general, it's a very good and stable product. The problems that I
have had have beem mostly of use, not that I found bugs or so (actually I
don't remember having found a bug there!)
--
Rodrigo Gómez
www.rodrigogomez.com.mx/gallery/
I'm trying to get my feet wet with Rave in BCB2006 and it seems to be abit
more cumbersome than FastReports and ReportBuilder.

Do others feel that way also?

I'm accustomed to using ReportBuilder (a hacked version that I had to
create since they don't support C++ ), but I have decided to no longer
support companies that will not support BCB.

So, I need to find a new Report writer.

Which is better in the communities opinion, Rave or FastReport and why?

And also, is there a ReportBuilder to (Rave or FastReport) converter?

Thanks :)

Re:Rave vs. FastReport

Aye. i have the same feeling. Questions go unanswered at least for the
2.5vcl product. Still for $99 or whatever it cost, it was a bargain.
the 3.x version did tons of stuff I dont care about. I just wanted a
simple embedded report engine.
I'm hoping they support BDS 2006 for there 2.5 product.