Re: Time for a small celebration...

2006-01-30 10:11:33 PM
cppbuilder70
Frode Nilsen wrote:
That is not quite correct, make without target[s] will build the first
target in the makefile.
Not if there is no makefile - that was my point. If you do not
provide the name of a makefile, it will look for one named "makefile".
If that does not exist it will err.
Touch is a separate program provided by windows that can be used to
create an empty file with any name you provide, thus you can use it to
provide the required default makefile.
But see my post Alan about what cause this commotion(is that the word?)
to start with
Yes. I also tried running make -p from the BCB6\bin directory and it
does not err from there with no makefile present. I also tried running
from the BDS\4.0\bin directory which appears to have the same version
of make as does but it does err there.
- Leo

Re:Re: Time for a small celebration...

Alan Bellingham wrote:
Really, really odd. No wonder that testing may have tried it, and not
been able to reproduce what you reported.
Never willing to let a sleeping dog lie, I did some poking around.
Seems there are 2 default makefiles for Borland's make. Makefile is
what most users are expected to use, but BCB5/6 also use one called
builtins.mak, and this is located in the BCB5/6 bin directory.
Found the same make.exe in BDS\4.0\bin, but when I run make -p from
there it errs. Then tried "touch joe.mak", and it still errs. After
"touch builtins.mak" it runs and shows the missing "-".
Does show the difficulty of coming up with fully reproducible steps
for an error report.
- Leo

Re:Re: Time for a small celebration...

builtins.mak is the name of the file in which the default settings are
established. It is used by make.exe only for the defaults during the time
when another make file is being processed. It is not used as a standalone
make file.
Makefile and makefile.mak are merely the default names for a make file that
make.exe will look for if no make file name is given on the command line.
Other than that their name is the default one there is nothing other that is
special about a file with that name.
. Ed
Leo Siefert wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Never willing to let a sleeping dog lie, I did some poking around.

Seems there are 2 default makefiles for Borland's make. Makefile is
what most users are expected to use, but BCB5/6 also use one called
builtins.mak, and this is located in the BCB5/6 bin directory.

Found the same make.exe in BDS\4.0\bin, but when I run make -p from
there it errs. Then tried "touch joe.mak", and it still errs. After
"touch builtins.mak" it runs and shows the missing "-".

Does show the difficulty of coming up with fully reproducible steps
for an error report.

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Time for a small celebration...

Touch is not supplied by Windows. It is a utility supplied with C++
Builder, It sets the times and dates of any files specified on its command
line to the current time and date. It is not a new thing, a version of
touch has been with each of Borland's C and C++ compilers since the
beginning.

Ed Mulroy wrote:
Touch is not supplied by Windows. It is a utility supplied with C++
Builder,
Ok. Confused because it just always seems to be available. Thought I
had seen it long before Builder - just checked and it's also in BCB5
(and probably before that as well, but that's the oldest Borland
product I have installed here).

Leo Siefert < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Ok. Confused because it just always seems to be available. Thought I
had seen it long before Builder - just checked and it's also in BCB5
(and probably before that as well, but that's the oldest Borland
product I have installed here).
Touch, in one form or another, is a very common utility. And I've
certainly had it around longer than I've been a Borland user.
It's almost required the moment you have a make.
Alan Bellingham
--
Team Thai Kingdom
<url:www.borland.com/newsgroups/>Borland newsgroup descriptions

Leo Siefert wrote:
Ed Mulroy wrote:

>Touch is not supplied by Windows. It is a utility supplied with C++
>Builder,

Ok. Confused because it just always seems to be available. Thought I
had seen it long before Builder - just checked and it's also in BCB5
(and probably before that as well, but that's the oldest Borland
product I have installed here).

- Leo
It was available back in the DOS Borland C days, as well.
David Erbas-White

From: "Ed Mulroy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
Subject: Re: Time for a small celebration...
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 09:45:45 -0500

builtins.mak is the name of the file in which the default settings
are established. It is used by make.exe only for the defaults during
the time when another make file is being processed. It is not used
as a standalone make file.

Makefile and makefile.mak are merely the default names for a make
file that make.exe will look for if no make file name is given on the
command line. Other than that their name is the default one there is
nothing other that is special about a file with that name.

. Ed
OK, that might describe the cause for this issue, but when does
makefile.mak get created, and why is my make.exe satisfied with just
this file and doesn't requiere makefile?
Would be nice to know :)
frode

Re:Re: Time for a small celebration...

The file names makefile.mak and makefile are just the default names which
make.exe will look for if no make file name is given on its command line.
The make file is the text file which has instructions for building the
project. When you define the project you create a make file of whatever
name.
The file builtins.mak contains defaults to be used by make.exe for
situations that are incompletely described by the make file being used. For
example, it contains a default for how to convert a text resource file, a
*.rc file, into compiled resource file, a *.res file. Builtins.mak is
installed on the machine during the compiler installation.
. Ed
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...