The C++Builder 2006/Borland Developer Studio 2006 trial is available for download

This trial is based on C++Builder 2006 Enterprise/Borland Developer
Studio Architect 2006, Update 1. You can download it from:
www.borland.com/downloads/download_cbuilder.html
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com

Re:The C++Builder 2006/Borland Developer Studio 2006 trial is available for download

John Kaster (Borland) wrote:
This trial is based on C++Builder 2006 Enterprise/Borland Developer
Studio Architect 2006, Update 1. You can download it from:

www.borland.com/downloads/download_cbuilder.html
I would love to try this, but I simply refuse to have the .NET framework installed on my
PC. Is it possible that a future version might not force the installation of .NET or XML
services (not so bad)? If BDS2006 is really so dependent on these underlying third party
technologies, then it can't be that good a Win 32 compiler.
I suppose you just didn't listen to the developers who buy this stuff. We want a BCB for
Win 32/64 that is solid, reliable and does not need 3rd party rubbish to get projects off
the ground. Now go back to the drawing board and implement it.
--
Mark Jacobs
www.dkcomputing.co.uk

Mark Jacobs wrote:
but I simply refuse to have the .NET framework installed on my PC
Just curious, but why don't you want it ? It only takes up 25MB, and doesn't
mem untill you run a .NET app .
Jonathan

{smallsort}

Mark Jacobs wrote:
Is it possible that a future version might not force the installation
of .NET or XML services (not so bad)?
No. A good deal of functionality in the IDE is implemented in .NET code.
If BDS2006 is really so
dependent on these underlying third party technologies, then it can't
be that good a Win 32 compiler.
What "third party" technologies? You mean like the Win32 API, and the
Windows OS?
Your exercising very peculiar logic here.
I suppose you just didn't listen to the developers who buy this
stuff. We want a BCB for Win 32/64 that is solid, reliable and does
not need 3rd party rubbish to get projects off the ground. Now go
back to the drawing board and implement it.
We did listen to developers, and delivered what you're asking for
Win32. It's C++Builder 2006. However, based on what you wrote in your
message, I don't believe you're truly interested in a conversation, but
in ranting about some misconceptions you have about the product.
If you're really interested in having a conversation about the product,
how it's implemented, and what our priorities were, I'm happy to have
that discussion. If you're going to reply in the same vein as the
message I'm responding to right now, I don't believe we'll have a
productive outcome, and I'll bow out now.
--

In article <43f5f82b$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >,
Mark Jacobs < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
If BDS2006 is really so dependent on these underlying third party
technologies, then it can't be that good a Win 32 compiler.
But it isn't *just* a win32 compiler.
does not need 3rd party rubbish to get projects off
the ground.
There are other prerequisites, do you consider Windows to be 3rd
party rubish? It's provided by the same 3rd party.
--
-David

At 17:26:45, 17.02.2006, Mark Jacobs wrote:
I would love to try this, but I simply refuse to have the .NET
framework installed on my PC.
This really sounds like a religious issue, or perhaps a phobia. I don't
understand these refusals.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"Logic is in the eye of the logician."

At 17:33:46, 17.02.2006, Jonathan Benedicto wrote:
Mark Jacobs wrote:
>but I simply refuse to have the .NET framework installed on my PC

Just curious, but why don't you want it ? It only takes up 25MB, and
doesn't mem untill you run a .NET app .
Well, the SDK takes up a little more, and that is required for Delphi
2006 as well, AFAIK.
But I don't quite understand a professional developer who doesn't have
enough disk space. That would be like a carpenter who only had a hammer
and three nails. <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"No one can earn a million dollars honestly."

Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] wrote:
Well, the SDK takes up a little more, and that is required for Delphi
2006 as well, AFAIK.

But I don't quite understand a professional developer who doesn't have
enough disk space. That would be like a carpenter who only had a hammer
and three nails. <g>
I was a developer a few weeks ago on my old Celeron with only 3GB free :-)
Jonathan

Re:The C++Builder 2006/Borland Developer Studio 2006 trial is available for download

Thanks for the hard work John (et. al IDE folks). I had other positive
remarks but they all came across as dorky and zealot-ish. So, I'll leave it
there.
- Clayton

Clayton Arends wrote:
I had other positive remarks but they all came across as dorky and
zealot-ish. So, I'll leave it there.
LOL. I appreciate your support, anyway. Glad to see you around again.
BTW, if you're still in that area, I'll be showing BDS 2006 in Orange
County next Wednesday.
ec.borland.com/eventDisplay.faces
--
John Kaster blogs.borland.com/johnk
Features and bugs: qc.borland.com
Get source: cc.borland.com
If it's not here, it's not happening: ec.borland.com

Re:The C++Builder 2006/Borland Developer Studio 2006 trial is available for download

>I would love to try this, but I simply refuse to have the .NET
>framework installed on my PC.

This really sounds like a religious issue, or perhaps a phobia. I don't
understand these refusals.
Well, I'm another one who hates installing huge amounts of
"prerequisites", just to be able to run a {*word*76}y IDE. And no, it's NOT a
religious issue. There's just a part of me who doesn't understand, why
all this "advancement" in technology results in installers, that run
over 1 hour (Visual Studio 2003) and IDEs that feel sluggish even on
latest hardware.
I guess, I'm really sympathizing with the guy who refuses to install all
that {*word*99}. Give me a native IDE, goddamnit ;)

At 21:31:56, 17.02.2006, Fritz Huber wrote:
>>I would love to try this, but I simply refuse to have the .NET
>>framework installed on my PC.
>
>This really sounds like a religious issue, or perhaps a phobia. I
>don't understand these refusals.

Well, I'm another one who hates installing huge amounts of
"prerequisites", just to be able to run a {*word*76}y IDE.
But you don't mind installing nearly one GB for the IDE, the components,
the compilers, etc.? The prerequisites are only a part of that.
And if it were just a "{*word*76}y IDE", I would agree.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"When ideas fail, words come in very handy."

Re:The C++Builder 2006/Borland Developer Studio 2006 trial is available for download

At 21:31:56, 17.02.2006, Fritz Huber wrote:
I guess, I'm really sympathizing with the guy who refuses to install
all that {*word*99}. Give me a native IDE, goddamnit ;)
The IDE is mainly native.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"I don't pray because I don't want to bore God." -- Orson Welles.

Re:The C++Builder 2006/Borland Developer Studio 2006 trial is available for download

The IDE is mainly native.
Is it? I just downloaded the trial and played around with it for a
little bit. Those prerequisites are a pain in the arse.
But the IDE feels good, at least for now. It actually feels pretty
snappy. Better than expected - much better than VS2005 :)

At 01:00:34, 18.02.2006, Fritz Huber wrote:
>The IDE is mainly native.

Is it? I just downloaded the trial and played around with it for a
little bit. Those prerequisites are a pain in the arse.
Why?
But the IDE
feels good, at least for now. It actually feels pretty snappy. Better
than expected - much better than VS2005 :)
I don't know VS2005, but many people say BDS2006 is a lot snappier than
D2005. And it has, of course, a higher version number than VS. <vbg>
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.de/
"If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."