HELP: C++ 5.02 IDE Problems

I am running the B C++ 5.02 IDE under Windows XP, but compiling to C (not C++) for DOS. The target system is an EXE for an embedded P3 processor.
(1) When I build the project, at the end of the build the monitor goes black (as if it's bringing up a DOS command.com environment, then it comes back to Windows (the command prompt window is still active in the background) and shows an error/warning window (16-bit MSDOS Subsystem) telling me: "CAPSDOS32.EXE gpib-vdd.dll. An installable Virtual Device Driver failed DLL initialization." As far as I'm aware I have not required a GPIB driver at all (the project doesn't use GPIB). If I just IGNORE the error/warning, the project completes the build correctly. I'm sure this is a Project option I've inadvertently set/reset but I can't find it.
(2) if I set the "Intermediate" or "Final" output directories in the project options, the project build gives a fatal error telling me it can't open the files in the directories indicated. Are these paths required to follow DOS conventions (8.3) for the names? Having Windows pathnames in the "Include", "Library", and "Source" source directories works fine but not in the "Intermediate" and "Final" output directories.

Re:HELP: C++ 5.02 IDE Problems

Yes, when building 16-bit apps. The IDE will invoke 16-bit tools (e.g. -
tlink)
which is/are unaware of LFNs.
But it doesn't matter whether or not your path is LFN or 8.3 format, the
linker
WILL fail in WinXP with a capdos error. It's inevitable. I've been trying
to get
the linker to work for almost 4 months, becuase having to generate/use a
makefile
is a PITA and not efficient. If I wanted to run make I'd be playing on
Linux right
now.
The problem is that Borland use[s/d] '@' to pipe the response files.
Windows
does not like that.
In Windows XP I have no graphics on my BWCC controls in the IDE when
compatibility mode is set to Windows 95. In every other mode the linker
fails
(it does work in Win95 mode, unfortunately). The workarounds I was given
was to create a PIF file for hte capdos32.exe file, but I don't know where
anyone
got that one from because it's a 32-bit app and afaik you cannot create a
pif
for a windows executable of any type.
The linker fails, the help compiler fails, etc. etc. It's just not good.
My fix... Do DOS development with DOS tools. I installed Borland C++ 3.1
and, well... Everything is working a bit better.
If anyone finds a fix to this that actually works. Input would be greatly
appreciated..
Ciao,
Nathaniel L. Walker