Borland C++ 5.02

Is there a way to read old IDE files from Borland C++ 5.02 with the Borland
C++ Builder?
Is there any other way to do it?

Ron

Re:Borland C++ 5.02

> Is there a way to read old IDE files from Borland C++ 5.02 with the
Borland
> C++ Builder?
> Is there any other way to do it?

In BCB 5 no, in BCB 4, 3, and 1 yes. We shipped a tool called ide(2/to)bpr
which would convert a .ide file to a .bpr.

As with most tools which try to do massive project conversions it wasn't
100% accurate (realistically it couldn't be... BCB 5's project support is a
subset of the features offered in BC5's not a superset).
In general I would advise against using ide2bpr for anything more than a
rough guess at what you should be doing by hand.

--
Anduin Withers
Borland

Re:Borland C++ 5.02

"Anduin Withers" <awith...@inprise.com> wrote in message

> > Is there a way to read old IDE files from Borland C++ 5.02 with the
> Borland
> > C++ Builder?
> > Is there any other way to do it?

> As with most tools which try to do massive project conversions it wasn't
> 100% accurate (realistically it couldn't be... BCB 5's project support is
> subset of the features offered in BC5's not a superset).

I don't wish to start another huge thread on this topic of the BCB5 project
manager, but this statement says that Borland had a good C++ environment
(BC++ 5.02) which code handle large projects and had lots of powerful
features that every one who used it loved.  They then basically abandoned it
for C++Builder 1, which apart from the VCL form designer, had no where near
any of the power of BC++ 5.02.  They are now slowly adding features to BCB5
(four years later), like CodeGuard, that where present in BC++ 5.02.
Wouldn't it have been quicker to keep the 5.02 environment and just give it
a new form designer and the VCL and dcc32 rather then take the Delphi
environment, try and make it work with CPP files and H files as a unit, and
release it as an inferior C++ development environment to the one they
already had.  Now they are spending time adding features that were present
4-5 years ago and (according to a lot of people on the group) still behind
VC++ in many respects.

Russell

Other Threads