Board index » cppbuilder » BCB 4 Help window position and size

BCB 4 Help window position and size

Hi,
The BCB4 help does not remember position and size of the help dialogs.
I find this very annoying.  I have allready used the patch made by
Ingvar Nilsen.  However, this only fixed the help window.  It did not
fix the properties and methods window.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for the properties and methods
window?  If so where can I get it?

Thank You,
*:> Scott

--------------------------------------------------
Scott Metzger
http://yoyodyne.virtualave.net/
Yo Yo Dyne Technologies, Your source for RPG Software

 

Re:BCB 4 Help window position and size


: Scott Metzger <NOSPAMYoYoD...@webweaver.zzn.com> wrote:

Quote
>Does anyone know if there is a fix for the properties and methods
>window?  

There is no way that I would be aware of.

--
Stefan Hoffmeister (TeamB)     http://www.econos.de/
Please do apply judgement when sending email.

Re:BCB 4 Help window position and size


Scott-

I am not familiar with this patch by Ingvar Nilsen.  Where did you find it?
What does it do?

Here is what I did to my bcb4vcl.hlp file, in case you or anyone wants to do
the same.  It makes the two windows occupy the whole screen at 1024x768 and
higher (and at 800x600 with some horizontal overlap ?!).  In addition, the
index button is restored as I had become accustomed to pressing the letter
"i" to access it.  I do not know what is required to make the help system
remember where you put the windows, though...

There is a freeware help decompiler called HELPDECO.
http://www.wextech.com/helpdc21.zip

First copy Bcb4vcl.hlp to Bcb4vcl.bak in case something goes terribly wrong.
Create a new folder and copy Bcb4vcl.hlp and Helpdeco.exe to it.  Run
"helpdeco bcb4vcl.hlp" at the command prompt.  Replace the text in the
WINDOWS section of the bcb4vcl.hpj that is created with the following:

[WINDOWS]
main="",(256,0,767,1024),60676,,(r12632256),f2
example="Example",(425,100,578,300),12292,,(r12632256),f2
pme="",(0,0,255,1024),4,(r14876671),(r12632256),f2
proc="",(425,75,578,225),12292,,(r12632256),f6
gloss="",(425,100,578,300),12292,,(r12632256),f2
(w95sec)="",(425,100,578,300),12292,,(r12632256),f2

Next, open bcb4vcl.hpj with Microsoft Help Workshop (hcw.exe found in
CBuilder4\Help\Tools). Choose "Compile..." from the file menu and click the
"Compile" button.  Finally, replace Bcb4vcl.hlp in your CBuilder4\Help
folder with the newly created file.  Note: Until you actually replace the
file, it will not work correctly.  Now say goodbye to another annoyance!
Oh, don't forget to delete the folder you created.  You have enough junk on
your hard disk.

FF

CBuilder4\Help\bcb4vcl.hlp

Quote
Scott Metzger <NOSPAMYoYoD...@webweaver.zzn.com> wrote in message

news:373C9FDF.DF6AA3E5@webweaver.zzn.com...
Quote
> Hi,
> The BCB4 help does not remember position and size of the help dialogs.
> I find this very annoying.  I have allready used the patch made by
> Ingvar Nilsen.  However, this only fixed the help window.  It did not
> fix the properties and methods window.

> Does anyone know if there is a fix for the properties and methods
> window?  If so where can I get it?

Re:BCB 4 Help window position and size


Hi,

Quote
>The BCB4 help does not remember position and size of the help dialogs.
>I find this very annoying.  I have already used the patch made by
>Ingvar Nilsen.  However, this only fixed the help window.  It did not
>fix the properties and methods window.

>Does anyone know if there is a fix for the properties and methods
>window?  If so where can I get it?

Try WinHelp Modif.zip from my website under the link Other.
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Orchard/8607/
http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/Vleghert/

It should fix all chosen help files at once for BCB 4 and Delphi 4 in a size and
place that you want and stay that way. For the main, property, methods and
example windows.
The only problem is that are third party help files (NetMaster does work) that do
not use the same convention and still behave differently.
But on request maybe that can be fixed too.

---
Regards,
Chris Vleghert
cvleg...@WorldOffLine.nl  +++ Replace Off by On to reply +++

Re:BCB 4 Help window position and size


 I downloaded your file but it would not let me enter new values.  Am I missing
something here?

*:> Scott

Quote
Chris Vleghert wrote:
> Hi,

> >The BCB4 help does not remember position and size of the help dialogs.
> >I find this very annoying.  I have already used the patch made by
> >Ingvar Nilsen.  However, this only fixed the help window.  It did not
> >fix the properties and methods window.

> >Does anyone know if there is a fix for the properties and methods
> >window?  If so where can I get it?

> Try WinHelp Modif.zip from my website under the link Other.
> http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Orchard/8607/
> http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/Vleghert/

> It should fix all chosen help files at once for BCB 4 and Delphi 4 in a size and
> place that you want and stay that way. For the main, property, methods and
> example windows.
> The only problem is that are third party help files (NetMaster does work) that do
> not use the same convention and still behave differently.
> But on request maybe that can be fixed too.

> ---
> Regards,
> Chris Vleghert
> cvleg...@WorldOffLine.nl  +++ Replace Off by On to reply +++

--
--------------------------------------------------
Scott Metzger
http://yoyodyne.virtualave.net/
Yo Yo Dyne Technologies, Your source for RPG Software

Re:BCB 4 Help window position and size


Quote
Fishface wrote:
> Scott-

> I am not familiar with this patch by Ingvar Nilsen.  Where did you find it?
> What does it do?

I spent a long time searching Deja for a fix, both this newsgroup and the delphi
ide newsgroup.  Search for Ingvar Nilsen as author and Help in the subject.  I
could never find out about an executable, however, Ingvar did post his source
code.

It gets rid of a hard coded size and position for the main help file.
Unfortunately it does not work for the PME window.

Thanks for your solution.  I am going to try it.  I'll let you know if I have
problems.

*:> Scott

--------------------------------------------------
Scott Metzger
http://yoyodyne.virtualave.net/
Yo Yo Dyne Technologies, Your source for RPG Software

Re:BCB 4 Help window position and size


Quote
> I downloaded your file but it would not let me enter new values.  Am I missing
>something here?

>*:> Scott

I suppose so, because that's what's the utility should do. Maybe you could
specify a little more?

--
---
Regards,
Chris Vleghert
cvleg...@WorldOffLine.nl  +++ Replace Off by On to reply +++

Re:BCB 4 Help window position and size


Quote
Chris Vleghert wrote:

> > I downloaded your file but it would not let me enter new values.  Am I missing
> >something here?

> >*:> Scott

> I suppose so, because that's what's the utility should do. Maybe you could
> specify a little more?

I had a few problems with this as well... until I figured out that I had to
change the radio buttons on the right of the window list to specify the file
I wanted to edit.  It seems that the edits on any line except the selected
one are ReadOnly.  Perhaps removing this feature would help avoid confusion
in future?

--
Corey Murtagh
The Electric Monk
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur!"

Re:BCB 4 Help window position and size


Well I check the Type checkbox for PME, then click the DST radio button for pme,
then I try to edit the values for Screen position etc for PME.  The program does not
allow me to edit the values.

*:> Scott

running WIN NT sp5, BCB 4 Pro

Quote
Chris Vleghert wrote:
> > I downloaded your file but it would not let me enter new values.  Am I missing
> >something here?

> >*:> Scott

> I suppose so, because that's what's the utility should do. Maybe you could
> specify a little more?

> --
> ---
> Regards,
> Chris Vleghert
> cvleg...@WorldOffLine.nl  +++ Replace Off by On to reply +++

--
--------------------------------------------------
Scott Metzger
http://yoyodyne.virtualave.net/
Yo Yo Dyne Technologies, Your source for RPG Software

Re:BCB 4 Help window position and size


Quote
>> > I downloaded your file but it would not let me enter new values.  Am I missing
>> >something here?

>> >*:> Scott

>> I suppose so, because that's what's the utility should do. Maybe you could
>> specify a little more?

>I had a few problems with this as well... until I figured out that I had to
>change the radio buttons on the right of the window list to specify the file
>I wanted to edit.  It seems that the edits on any line except the selected
>one are ReadOnly.  Perhaps removing this feature would help avoid confusion
>in future?

I don't think so, because then it would not be clear which help window is
the destination(Dst) of your choice when you choose 'Select from window'

Unless you would like to change all help windows to the same size and
position in one step?

Regards,

Chris Vleghert
cvleg...@WorldOffLine.nl  +++ Replace Off by On to reply +++

Other Threads