Large project

Hello!

We are currently working on a large project which has a lot of forms and
almost each form has its own data module (e.g. General Leaders). There is
one main form from where other forms can be opened. Within certain forms you
can also open some of the other forms. All forms are sharing some global
data. Now we have all the forms in one big (currently 7MB and increasing)
executable file. Do you have any suggestions on how to break project on
several smaller segments? We are looking for solutions with DLLs.

Thanks in advance,   Bojan HORVAT.

Re:Large project

If you are looking for a smaller exe file, you should use the VCL runtime
libraries. It sounds like you are linking everything into the exe file.

Kim Hellan

>We are currently working on a large project which has a lot of forms and
>almost each form has its own data module (e.g. General Leaders). There is
>one main form from where other forms can be opened. Within certain forms
you
>can also open some of the other forms. All forms are sharing some global
>data. Now we have all the forms in one big (currently 7MB and increasing)
>executable file. Do you have any suggestions on how to break project on
>several smaller segments? We are looking for solutions with DLLs.

Re:Large project

Hi, Bojan!

First, switch to using the dyanmic RTL and runtime packages. You will
have to deploy the VCL .bpl files one time but never again (at least not
until BCB5)

That will knock a couple of Mb off your main program.

Then, take all of your in-house component packages and do not static
link them - instead distribute their .bpl's This will further reduce the
size of the your .exe (the two steps above took my core .exe down to 2Mb
from 6).

Lastly, you can (reportedly) break up your forms into separate packages.
I haven't done this yet, but it has potential.

Mind you, you haven't, in any of this, reduced the footprint of your
project - you've just made the core .exe smaller - but all of the needed
.bpls still have to be loaded, etc.

Can you explain why the large footprint is a problem?

------
Mark Cashman (TeamB - C++ Builder), creator of The Temp{*word*203}Doorway at
http://www.temporaldoorway.com
- Original digital art, writing, music and more -
C++ Builder / JBuilder Tips and The C++ Builder Programmer's Webring
(Join us!)
------

Other Threads