How to check my IP

2006-10-29 03:30:10 AM
cppbuilder114
Hi,
I write simple server (ServerSocket component in BCB6.0) application and I would like to check my IP address and/or internet connection accesibility. How to make this?
Please help.

Re:How to check my IP

Marcin_g wrote:
I write simple server (ServerSocket component in BCB6.0) application and I would like to check my IP address and/or internet connection accesibility. How to make this?
On the server computer start a browser and go to
whatismyip.com or checkip.dyndns.org
This will tell you your internet-ip.
Start your server listening on some port.
Now start a client on a machine somewhere on the internet
and let it connect to your internet-ip and the port your server
is listening on.
If there is a connection you are ready.
Otherwise - if you have a router- you first have to adjust your
router in such a way that it forwards request on
that specific port to your servercomputer on its intern-ip (or lan-ip).
Hans.

Re:How to check my IP

Thank you very much Hans, your solution is very good, but I use Indy
component: IdIPWatch. Its very simple. This component determines the online
status and IP addresses for a computer. I know that, when computer is behind
router IdIPWatch always returns C-class IP address (not global IP), but in
my case I will always use global IP (DSL connection without router).
Uzytkownik "Hans Galema" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >napisal w wiadomosci
Marcin_g wrote:

>I write simple server (ServerSocket component in BCB6.0) application and
>I would like to check my IP address and/or internet connection
>accesibility. How to make this?

On the server computer start a browser and go to
whatismyip.com or checkip.dyndns.org
This will tell you your internet-ip.
Start your server listening on some port.

Now start a client on a machine somewhere on the internet
and let it connect to your internet-ip and the port your server
is listening on.

If there is a connection you are ready.

Otherwise - if you have a router- you first have to adjust your
router in such a way that it forwards request on
that specific port to your servercomputer on its intern-ip (or lan-ip).

Hans.

{smallsort}

Re:How to check my IP

"Marcin Golas" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I use Indy component: IdIPWatch. Its very simple.
A little too simple. It only works in environment that have a single IP
address only. It is not designed for multi-homed environments.
This component determines the online status and IP addresses for a
computer.
Only when the computer is directly connected to the Internet. It does not
work when the computer gets its Internet connection through a router or
gateway.
Gambit

Re:How to check my IP

Thanks Gambit for additional information...
Użytkownik "Remy Lebeau (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >napisa?w wiadomości

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...