Active X - Windows Registery

2003-11-11 03:23:20 AM
cppbuilder45
Help!
Why does my active x component cause conflicts in the windows registery?

Re:Active X - Windows Registery

"Highdone Trias" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Why does my active x component cause conflicts in the windows registery?
You need to be more specific. Your statement is very vague. What *exactly*
is happening?
Gambit

Re:Active X - Windows Registery

Sorry,
Let's say that I created an Active X object and it has been downloaded on to
a PC from a web browser. I now add a new feature to this Active X object,
re-compile, and put it on my server to be downloaded by that PC again via a
web browser. For some reason, at times when the PC tries to download the
new compiled Active X object the new features implemented have not been
invoked. I am thinking that the reason for this is that in the PC's
registery there exists conflicts like this: (PROGRAM is the active x name)
C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\CONFLICT.194\PROGRAM~1.OCX
What do you think is really causing this to happen? Is this problem related
to my web server or how I created the Active X object?

"Highdone Trias" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:3fafe599$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Why does my active x component cause conflicts in the windows registery?

You need to be more specific. Your statement is very vague. What
*exactly*
is happening?

Gambit

{smallsort}

Re:Active X - Windows Registery

"Highdone Trias" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Let's say that I created an Active X object and it has been
downloaded on to a PC from a web browser. I now add a
new feature to this Active X object, re-compile, and put it on
my server to be downloaded by that PC again via a web browser.
How exactly are you downloading the ActiveX to begin with? Are you using an
<object>tag in the HTML? Is the OCX wrapped in a .cab file? Are you using
versioning in the HTML so the browser knows the versions have changed
between releases of the control?
For some reason, at times when the PC tries to download the new
compiled Active X object the new features implemented have not been
invoked.
Is the OCX still in use at the time of the download?
Gambit

Re:Active X - Windows Registery

I am using an <object>tag in the HTML.
The OCX is wrapped in a .cab file.
Ahhh! I think that was my problem. I am using versioning in the HTML, but
I forgot to set the "Auto increment release number" in the "Web Deployment
Options" screen. Yet, why would that conflict? Shouldn't the Active X
object just overwrite the old version?

"Highdone Trias" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Let's say that I created an Active X object and it has been
>downloaded on to a PC from a web browser. I now add a
>new feature to this Active X object, re-compile, and put it on
>my server to be downloaded by that PC again via a web browser.

How exactly are you downloading the ActiveX to begin with? Are you using
an
<object>tag in the HTML? Is the OCX wrapped in a .cab file? Are you
using
versioning in the HTML so the browser knows the versions have changed
between releases of the control?

>For some reason, at times when the PC tries to download the new
>compiled Active X object the new features implemented have not been
>invoked.

Is the OCX still in use at the time of the download?

Gambit

Re:Active X - Windows Registery

"Highdone Trias" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Ahhh! I think that was my problem. I am using versioning in the HTML,
but I forgot to set the "Auto increment release number" in the "Web
Deployment Options" screen. Yet, why would that conflict? Shouldn't
the Active X object just overwrite the old version?
Actually, if the version doesn't change, then it probably won't be
re-downloaded to begin with.
Gambit