CPPBuilder 3 - missing shell32.lib?

2007-04-27 03:19:30 AM
cppbuilder51
Hi All,
I'm trying to use Shell functions like SHGetSpecialFolderPath, which is
defined in header file shlobj.h. Does anyone know where the import library
is for these functions? It's supposed to be in shell32.lib, according to
the MSDN documentation, but I don't see it anywhere on my CPPBuilder 3
install.
My project compiles, but it doesn't link.
Thanks in Advance!
Corey Wirun

Re:CPPBuilder 3 - missing shell32.lib?

Version 3 was a long time ago and I don't remember where in the library that
references to the shell functions were located.
However you can create your own shell32.lib with commands like this (adjust
to the directories found on your machine)
cd "c:\program files\borland\cbuilder3\lib
implib -c shell32.lib c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll
Afterwards you should be able to add shell32.lib to your project.
. Ed
news:4630fb41$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

"Corey Wirun" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I'm trying to use Shell functions like SHGetSpecialFolderPath,
which is defined in header file shlobj.h. Does anyone know
where the import library is for these functions?
import32.lib. It was moved to shell32.lib in BCB 5.
Gambit

{smallsort}

Re:CPPBuilder 3 - missing shell32.lib?

If you check I think you'll find that BCB 3 had shell.lib imports in
import32.lib but either did not provide those from shell32.lib or did not
provide the full set of them.
. Ed
news:46310776$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

"Ed Mulroy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
If you check I think you'll find that BCB 3 had shell.lib imports
in import32.lib but either did not provide those from shell32.lib
or did not provide the full set of them.
I did check before posting my previous reply. SHGetSpecialFolderPath
is indeed in imports32.lib for both BCB 3 and 4. It is not in
shell32.lib until BCB 5.
Gambit

Re:CPPBuilder 3 - missing shell32.lib?

Ok, it looks as if I do not remember correctly.
Now I'm going to be bothered for days until I remember what the Windows DLL
items were that I found missing from BCB3's import library. :-(
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>If you check I think you'll find that BCB 3 had shell.lib imports
>in import32.lib but either did not provide those from shell32.lib
>or did not provide the full set of them.

I did check before posting my previous reply. SHGetSpecialFolderPath
is indeed in imports32.lib for both BCB 3 and 4. It is not in
shell32.lib until BCB 5.

Re:CPPBuilder 3 - missing shell32.lib?

Thanks for all your replies, guys.
Corey
"Ed Mulroy" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Ok, it looks as if I do not remember correctly.

Now I'm going to be bothered for days until I remember what the Windows
DLL items were that I found missing from BCB3's import library. :-(

. Ed

>Remy Lebeau wrote in message
>news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>
>>If you check I think you'll find that BCB 3 had shell.lib imports
>>in import32.lib but either did not provide those from shell32.lib
>>or did not provide the full set of them.
>
>I did check before posting my previous reply. SHGetSpecialFolderPath
>is indeed in imports32.lib for both BCB 3 and 4. It is not in
>shell32.lib until BCB 5.

Re:CPPBuilder 3 - missing shell32.lib?

Ooops! I spoke too soon.
I added import32.lib to my project and still got the link error. I did try
the implib suggestion and it worked fine.
Thanks again.
Corey.