Re: Idle thoughts

2003-10-17 07:52:04 AM
cppbuilder83
David Erbas-White wrote:
Rather than responding to a communication that you consider
pointless, would you be so kind as to respond to the query I posted
yesterday (10/15/03, at 8:35 AM) asking you two quick questions?
You'll find out tomorrow.
--
John Kaster, Borland Developer Relations, bdn.borland.com
Don't miss the best BorCon ever! info.borland.com/conf2003/

Re:Re: Idle thoughts

John Kaster (Borland) wrote:
You'll find out tomorrow.
I'll put up $1 that there will be a BCB7.

Re:Re: Idle thoughts

John Kaster (Borland) wrote:
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) wrote:
>And I agree, TeamB is chosen by TeamB, not by the users.

Where did TeamB come from?
From users. But not *the* users choose members of TeamB, only those users
who are already members of TeamB.
I am not saying this is bad. I actually think it makes perfect sense,
here.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake."

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Idle thoughts

William Meyer wrote:
On 16-Oct-03, John Kaster (Borland) said:

>Where did TeamB come from?

From the forehead of Zeus? <g>
And Borland are the Titans, or what?
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment to be called an

Re:Re: Idle thoughts

Come on John, tell the truth. Now that I think about it, you might not so
I'll tell it.
TeamB folks and the TeamB management people all are from a select group of
extremely handsome (or in the case of the women, beautiful) people who of
course all have superior minds.
However, listening to the adulations, fighting off romantic advances and
enjoying our fine images in the mirror eventually became boring. We then
offered Borland our services in the capacity of a team of people to be
present on the newsgroups and Frank Borland accepted. Since newsgroups are
non-visual and relatively anonymous this provided a venue where we can show
another aspect of our perfection for the vast herd of people out there to
admire.
I actually have branched out from that and now am also offering things for
sale. I have available a large bridge in Brooklyn for an attractive price.
Any takers?
. Ed
news:3f8f1d35$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:56:49 -0400, Ed Mulroy [TeamB] wrote:
TeamB folks and the TeamB management people all are from a select group of
extremely handsome (or in the case of the women, beautiful) people who of
course all have superior minds.
Ah, it's Team Beautiful! Finally the truth is out. :)
--
liz

Re:Re: Idle thoughts

Liz Albin wrote:
Ah, it's Team Beautiful! Finally the truth is out. :)
LOL!
(Nice post, Ed.)
--

Liz Albin wrote:
On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:56:49 -0400, Ed Mulroy [TeamB] wrote:

>TeamB folks and the TeamB management people all are from a select
>group of extremely handsome (or in the case of the women, beautiful)
>people who of course all have superior minds.

Ah, it's Team Beautiful! Finally the truth is out. :)
Come on Liz, you have met Ed. Do you still believe him? <g>
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist

Re:Re: Idle thoughts

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 20:59:08 +0200, Rudy Velthuis (TeamB) wrote:
Come on Liz, you have met Ed. Do you still believe him? <g>
Gulp. Of course! Otherwise he would be Team U(ntrue) <bg>
--
liz

Re:Re: Idle thoughts

"John Kaster (Borland)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Hendrik Schober wrote:
>Of my fellow workers, less than 5% regularly
>read some newsgroups. The others are exactly
>the same 95%+ that never read any books on
>C++, complain about templates cropping up in
>the code, keep forgetting about exception
>safety... I don't think that's an incident.

Thank you. This is exactly the type of differentiation I was referring
to in my other recent reply to "Mike" (IIRC).
And that reasoning was already shown to be flawed.
What I don't understand is the Borland's behavior on these newsgroups. Had
they admitted that they screwed up this time, promised to fix the problems,
validated the users concerns, everything would be settled down to the
satisfaction of everybody. People are usually very forgiving of the
repentant sinners. But when the company denies any wrongdoing, when instead
of apologizing and fixing the problems, attacks their (most loyal)
customers, then it brings only trouble on their own corporate head.

Re:Re: Idle thoughts

"CrewGBR" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
"John Kaster (Borland)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:3f8de8fc$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Hendrik Schober wrote:
>>Of my fellow workers, less than 5% regularly
>>read some newsgroups. The others are exactly
>>the same 95%+ that never read any books on
>>C++, complain about templates cropping up in
>>the code, keep forgetting about exception
>>safety... I don't think that's an incident.
>
>Thank you. This is exactly the type of differentiation I was
>referring to in my other recent reply to "Mike" (IIRC).

And that reasoning was already shown to be flawed.
What I don't understand is the Borland's behavior on these newsgroups.
Had they admitted that they screwed up this time, promised to fix the
problems, validated the users concerns, everything would be settled
down to the satisfaction of everybody. People are usually very
forgiving of the repentant sinners. But when the company denies any
wrongdoing, when instead of apologizing and fixing the problems,
attacks their (most loyal) customers, then it brings only trouble on
their own corporate head.

Exactly my sentiments. Borland, once upon a time, was a very developer-
friendly software house. They *had* to be -- that was their bread-and-
butter. But after the whole "Inprise" fiasco, and the subsequent
defection of Anders Hjelsberg to Microsoft, Borland seemed to become more
insular and distant.
Their product strategies continue to wander all over the map: are they a
"tools" company, an enterprise infrastructure company, or what? They
introduce new technologies with little forethought, and then don't so
much drop them as just ignore them until they die off (OWL,
MIDAS/DataSnap, C++ VisiBroker, etc.). Their support (even if you pay
for it) is legendarily bad even in a business not noted for good support.
So why stick with them? Why put up with the aggravation? Well, they are
really the only competitor left to oppose Microsoft; without Borland,
WIN32 development would be a Microsoft-only affair (it almost is anyway).
Borland's C++ compiler used to be more conformant and faster than
Microsoft's, although this is no longer the case. Having Borland out
there keeps Microsoft honest.
And yet, there is only so much fecklessness we can take. Borland doesn't
have so much good will in the developer community that it can afford to
squander it.
mr_organic

Re:Re: Idle thoughts

Liz,
When did we meet?
(I have a problem with names, as I was saying last night to my wife
George^H^H^H^H^H^HMarie)
. Ed
news:1l5v02yo1ywom.8fwi4yfr65v4$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Ed Mulroy [TeamB] wrote:
(I have a problem with names, as I was saying last night to my wife
George^H^H^H^H^H^HMarie)
ROFL!
But Liz is, as Nat King Cole would say, unforgettable.
--
Ken [*The Team Formerly Known As D]
MoNBH/MDNPEI

Re:Re: Idle thoughts

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:38:46 -0400, Ed Mulroy [TeamB] wrote:
When did we meet?
Picnic 2001?
--
liz

Re:Re: Idle thoughts

Oh darn. You were the one I sat and talked to the better part of an
hour!!!! I'd not put you, the name, together with you the person, what a
horrible thing to have to admit :-(
. Ed
Liz Albin wrote in message
news:3f907177$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...