BCB Ver 7 alternatives

Being a C++ programmer (and worse being a BCB programmer) for many years,
and after being dumped by the Borland ( I feel being dumped because the
Borland did dump the Kylix C++ and BCB) ,
I am (and I do beleive many more other programmers) in a hurry to find a
new C++ development environment.
The VC++ is not an option because of its Windows dependence. Would someone
suggest any good vendor independent cross platform C++ development
environment with buildin rapid application development tools?
<std>wrote in message news:40a0c879$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Is there any "official" information if Borland will release BCB ver 7 or
if
BCB ver 6 was the last version of BCB?

Re:BCB Ver 7 alternatives

<BBB>wrote in
Being a C++ programmer (and worse being a BCB programmer) for many years,
That's already the 1st problem.
Would someone
suggest any good vendor independent cross platform C++ development
environment with buildin rapid application development tools?
Then use Java, that's cross platform! C++ is by nature not cross platform,
it makes OS dependants exe's. Why stick for years with one programming
language anyway? I do not mean dump C++, but use C++ for what is was made,
and Java for what is was made.

Re:BCB Ver 7 alternatives

Mar < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
[...]

Then use Java, that's cross platform! C++ is by nature not cross platform,
it makes OS dependants exe's. Why stick for years with one programming
language anyway? I do not mean dump C++, but use C++ for what is was made,
and Java for what is was made.
There are many apps that run on different
platforms (e.g. the Acrobat Viewer, which
AFAIK is available on Win, Mac, and Linux.)
What you write would suggest that it would
be stupid to try to do this in C++ and
clever to do it in Java.
That's a funny statement, at best.
Schobi
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers dot org

{smallsort}

Re:BCB Ver 7 alternatives

"Hendrik Schober" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote
There are many apps that run on different
platforms (e.g. the Acrobat Viewer, which
AFAIK is available on Win, Mac, and Linux.)
They are not compilers, are they?
What you write would suggest that it would
be stupid to try to do this in C++ and
clever to do it in Java.
More suitable in many cases. What's clever and stupid? That is putting a
value on it.
That's a funny statement, at best.
Oh, really? <G>

Re:BCB Ver 7 alternatives

Mar < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
"Hendrik Schober" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote

>There are many apps that run on different
>platforms (e.g. the Acrobat Viewer, which
>AFAIK is available on Win, Mac, and Linux.)

They are not compilers, are they?
I couldn't find the word "compiler"
mentioned anywhere in your posting
nor in the posting you were replying
to. Let alone that the OP was talking
about developing a compiler.
[...]
Schobi
--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers dot org
"Sometimes compilers are so much more reasonable than people."
Scott Meyers

Re:BCB Ver 7 alternatives

Agreed.
Hendrik Schober wrote:
Mar < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>[...]
>
>Then use Java, that's cross platform! C++ is by nature not cross platform,
>it makes OS dependants exe's. Why stick for years with one programming
>language anyway? I do not mean dump C++, but use C++ for what is was made,
>and Java for what is was made.

There are many apps that run on different
platforms (e.g. the Acrobat Viewer, which
AFAIK is available on Win, Mac, and Linux.)
What you write would suggest that it would
be stupid to try to do this in C++ and
clever to do it in Java.
That's a funny statement, at best.

Schobi

--
XXXX@XXXXX.COM is never read
I'm Schobi at suespammers dot org

"Sometimes compilers are so much more reasonable than people."
Scott Meyers

Re:BCB Ver 7 alternatives

Well if you've got the cash, QT is very well regarded and will give
you a multiplatform framework including database controls, sockets,
threading, etc. It also plugs in quite nicely into visual C++. Its
just way too expensive for me.

Re:BCB Ver 7 alternatives

There's a new book called "C++ GUI Programming with Qt 3". I find it
exceptionally good, it covers almost everything a GUI programmer needs,
in a very easy to read format. The author knows exactly what a
programmer has to know about a toolkit, and presents complex topics in
an easy to follow way. It is very technical, 100% pure information, and
there is no way you will remember everything after the first read. The
CD-ROM contains a non-commercial Qt license, so you can evalute it and
see if it meets your needs. Visit the TrollTech Web site for pricing
information. The software is not cheap and you pay for every platform,
but it's a one-time fee. You decide if it's worth the $$$ for you. It
looks like a serious x-platform toolkit to me, and there's a real
company behind it.
I don't have enough real-world experience with it, so you have to ask
someone else about recommendation. All I see is that it's a very well
thought-out system, and what's very important to me, it's easy to create
custom components by painting your stuff on the screen. It supports
Unicode and localization, and has some database / DB-aware components as
well. It's a RAD tool but it may not be as rapid as C++Builder.
Tom