Board index » cppbuilder » Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004


2004-09-17 03:01:10 AM
cppbuilder33
"Marcelo R. Lopez, Jr." < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Quote
Des O'Toole wrote:

>"Marcelo R. Lopez, Jr." < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news:4149c9b4$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>
>>I can't discuss things because certain things say I can't discuss them,
>>but what I can discuss, is that some folks who can't discuss things, have
>>been waiting a LOT LONGER than most, to know about things that they can't
>>discuss why they can't discuss the thing itself.
>>
>
>
>I'm not sure if you're allowed to publicly express an opinion, but if you
>are, what do you personally think the chances are of a new BCB release?
>
>Des
>
>
>
I can't discuss whether I can discuss it or not ....because if I discussed
it, I would be discussing something I can't discuss whether I could
discuss it or not. But I can discuss that I'm DISGUSTED at this point with
the state of things.

I just wondered if you got anything in return after you sold your soul.
Des
 
 

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

"Marcelo R. Lopez, Jr." < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
Not necessarily, I've been at plenty of demo's of software that never
made the light of day ( from Borland and others ).
Yes, of course. I didn't mean that the demo indicated anything other
than they'd put in the effort to create the demo. As you say below, it
could be smoke and mirrors. But the point is that if Borland wasn't
considering continuing BCB there would have been no demo or public
mention of the possibility.
Quote
More like disdain. If I even heard a "shut up, I heard you the first
Certainly no one can defend Borland's treatment of the BCB (and CBX)
communities. They've lost my respect and my trust. But they could go a
long way toward making amends if they breathe life back into BCB.
Quote
For someone to listen, they have to be hearing, and they aren't hearing
at this point. Not the higher ups,
the Fullerites as I like to call them. I'd be curious to know what the
demographical make up of BorCon was.
I think you're right that TPTB haven't heard the message. I'd like to
think that this is because LeBlanc or someone else up the chain has
filtered the message before it reached the top. But if they haven't
heard the message it's all the more reason to do the best we can to get
it through while we still have a shot at winning.
Quote
No, they said we'd HEAR something by mid-December, not that we'd have
something available.
Absolutely correct.. I stated that poorly. I meant that the results of
their decision would be made available my mid-December.
Quote
>>So why would I waste my time wrting an open letter
>Because the investment of time required to participate in the "Open
>Letter Project" is very small compared to the investment of time and
>money you have in BCB?
I can't discuss things because certain things say I can't discuss them,
but what I can discuss, is that some folks who can't discuss things, have
been waiting a LOT LONGER than most, to know about things that they
can't discuss why they can't discuss the thing itself.
I don't doubt that. The point I was trying to make is that we already
have a much larger investment of time and money in BCB than the small
amount of time we'd have to put into writing a letter.
Quote
>We often speak of Borland as if it were a monolith, but in fact it
>isn't. I doubt that the high-level decision makers have heard our
>message in its entirety even once.
I know I've {*word*75}ed ( tactfully, mind you ) at DavidI on more than one
occassion. I'm still waiting for a reply.
No one will let me have Dale's email address, and even then, he probably
has "people" who screen for him.
If we were to write a letter to Borland as Paul has suggested, I think
we would need assurance that Dale would read this letter and would
respond to it. I think we deserve no less.
 

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

Marcelo R. Lopez, Jr. wrote:
Quote
Possibly. Either way, somebody's getting hit with a banana cream
pie. Now there's a question, how could Mary Ann cook up all those
coconut cream pies, without any milk or eggs ?
mmm... Mary Ann... Although I do quite fancy coconut cream pie, I
think I'd oops - wrong newsgroup! But much better topic!
-Brion
 

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

Quote
On
the other hand, I would expect CR to be ported to Diamondback at some
point.
Don't hold your breath. DevEx has said that its not completely out of
the question to bring CR back to Delphi, but they have also said it
would be substantial work and it just didn't sound very promising.
I'd bet anybody a nickel that you won't see a CR for Diamondback or
Diamondback+1. If Diammondback+2 ships with no CR delivery, I win the
nickel.
 

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

Paul Dolen < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
Don't hold your breath. DevEx has said that its not completely out of
the question to bring CR back to Delphi, but they have also said it
would be substantial work and it just didn't sound very promising.
I'd bet anybody a nickel that you won't see a CR for Diamondback or
Diamondback+1. If Diammondback+2 ships with no CR delivery, I win the
nickel.
I need to save my nickels toward Diamondback with BCB<g>.
 

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

Quote
>it, I would be discussing something I can't discuss whether I could
>discuss it or not. But I can discuss that I'm DISGUSTED at this point with
>the state of things.
Verbum sapientum..
A word to the wise...
 

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

"Brion L. Webster" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Quote
I believe Dale is just like everyone else, XXXX@XXXXX.COM .
However, I've seen it stated by Borland folks that Dale doesn't use
it.

Must be like President Clinton - runs the whole darn thing, only
ever had two emails go out under his account. <g>
I will not ask if Dale has a Lewinsky.... :-)
 

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

"I R T" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Quote
>>it, I would be discussing something I can't discuss whether I could
>>discuss it or not. But I can discuss that I'm DISGUSTED at this point
>>with
>>the state of things.

Verbum sapientum..
A word to the wise...
I'm not sure if this is directed at me or Marcelo. I presume Marcelo, but if
it was me, I'm afraid I'll need a translation.
Des
 

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

Quote
>Verbum sapientum..
>A word to the wise...
Looking at it again. I assume the 2nd line is the translation (it's late -
I'm tired).
Des
 

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

I R T < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
>Must be like President Clinton - runs the whole darn thing, only
>ever had two emails go out under his account. <g>

I will not ask if Dale has a Lewinsky.... :-)
Funny you should mention that. On first reading, I though he wrote
'females' rather than 'emails'. Funny how we're conditioned to read
things in conjunction with Clinton.
 

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

Quote
My guess is that it won't make the actual diamondback timeframe though
given their current priorities.
There is no need to guess. C++ will not be in Delphi 9.0 when it ships.
They were quite clear about that.
H^2
 

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

Quote
It seems that Borland still does not know what will happen in the future.
That's because they don't.
H^2
 

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

"Marcelo R. Lopez, Jr." < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Quote
If the number of attendees that PERSONALLY used BCB based
products as their primarily development
environment is any reasonable percentage, then...

... then I'd be amazed!
There was nothing in the Borcon program to make a BCB user want to go.
(apart from the "meet the team" , which for all anyone knew might have been
one guy counting paperclips while explaining that he now WAS the C++ team).
Even the C++ specific stuff was all focussed on CBX, as if BCB was dead.
- Roddy
 

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

Roddy Pratt wrote:
Quote

There was nothing in the Borcon program to make a BCB user want to go.
(apart from the "meet the team" , which for all anyone knew might have been
one guy counting paperclips while explaining that he now WAS the C++ team).
Even the C++ specific stuff was all focussed on CBX, as if BCB was dead.

- Roddy
The schedule is exactly why I didn't attend. As a BCB user, I could fond no reason to pay Borland
for this conference.
I responded to the email invitation that I was not going because based on the agenda, Borland was
showing little interest in C++, not that David I will read it.
-Mike
 

Re:Re: Interesting things I learned at BorCon2004

"Dave Jewell" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Quote
"I R T" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote

>Your blog gives the impression that you were patsies.

Too damn right. My C++ Builder investment is going down the pan but what do
I care? I got to talk to a *REAL* *LIVE* Borland employee, I managed to
catch one of the shirts being fired from the shirt-launcher and I even got
to pee right next to Dale Fuller in the john. It was a great day....
You missed the chance to pee on his shoe.
--------------------
FLUSH THE JOHNS NOVEMBER 2004!