How to Update a Paradox DB over Internet with BC++3?

2004-05-13 08:15:11 PM
cppbuilder13
Hello,
i'll need to Update a Paradox Database over the Internet.
I wrote a Program in Borland C++ 3.0 Standard which uses a Paradox Database.
Now i want, that someone who uses that Programm can Update the Data (maybe
not the whole Table) ober HTTP or FTP.
How can i do this?.
At the Moment i have no idea how to Start that developing nor which Tools i
need.
Can anyone help me out?
regards
Helge

Re:How to Update a Paradox DB over Internet with BC++3?

Hi,
What yo need is to implement a Client/Server application, CGI, because
of the compiler you're using. Can be relatively easy to do. Use Google
to search for CGI tutorials. Of course, there are more modern and
better ways to accomplish this (Java or .Net, for example) but the CGI
solution will let you take advantage from many of the code you have.
You'll need a web server, too. There are several free ones (Xitami
can be a good starting point: little, fast and easy to install,
with practically no intervention from you).
Additionally, there are some C/C++ libraries available. Maybe
CGI-HTML, a free C libray, would be a good approach for you.
Regarding the data you need to work with, the CGI apps will let you
to interact with the database in the way that normally you do it.
HTH,
/JJ.

--
** Para responderme, cambie _J_ por _
** To respond, change _J_ by _

Re:How to Update a Paradox DB over Internet with BC++3?

Hi and thanks for the anwer.
My (Borland C++) Programm need to Update the Database from the Internet.
The Users who work with my Programm need to Update over the Internet.
CGI wpuld be a fine way, but i dont know how to do it at this point.
i Do some Tools with CGI on my Server, but very simple ones.
Now i download the Database-Update-File from the Server via
some Wininet Functions http or ftp. That works fine.
Its not very much professional but it works :o)
Maybe MySQL is a way, i have to look too?
Maybe i can "start" the CGI Script from my Client Programm on the Server and
that Script handle
the data i need from the Database and give back?
regards
Helge

--
** Para responderme, cambie _J_ por _
** To respond, change _J_ by _

{smallsort}

Helge wrote:

Hi and thanks for the anwer.

My (Borland C++) Programm need to Update the Database from the
Internet.
The Users who work with my Programm need to Update over the Internet.

CGI wpuld be a fine way, but i dont know how to do it at this point.
i Do some Tools with CGI on my Server, but very simple ones.
Now i download the Database-Update-File from the Server via
some Wininet Functions http or ftp. That works fine.
Its not very much professional but it works :o)
IIRC, there is a CGI tutorial from Kent Reisdorph related with BDE
access using CGI. It's a very simple and illustrative example about
the steps required for work with a database in a Web server. I don't
have the link within reach, but I suposse the page still is available.
Maybe MySQL is a way, i have to look too?
Maybe. The issue here is that you will need to rewrite your app,
because of the database access is quite different in both cases.
I couldn't give more light here, because this would be a feeling
issue in many aspects. I leave BDE about seven years ago
(fortunately) and using CodeBase, from Sequiter Software
(www.codebase.com)
Maybe i can "start" the CGI Script from my Client Programm on the
Server and that Script handle the data i need from the Database and
give back?
The CGI apps run on the server machine only when requested. The
interaction is reached using an HTML page that contains some special
tags and related variables/values that can be identified by the Web
server and translated into the related data, and passed later as
arguments for the CGI app. Maybe you're referring here a client
connected to the server using a socket approach. In this case I use
the server program included in Codebase. The advantage of this
methodology is that the client program can be left as if were a
stand alone one, changing/adding only a few lines of code.
On the other hand, you could emulate CGI interaction with Java or
another programming environment, but it's very cumbersome and
problematic, and would be (in the Java case, at least) better to
use the native/own means that the tool provides.
HTH,
/JJ.