Standard C/C++ Library

2005-08-20 02:29:45 AM
cppbuilder82
Anyone knows if there is a free (downloadable) Standard C/C++ library. The
one shipped with the bccx 6.0 preview compiler is a disaster. It there are
more functions left out than included (especially the stdio.h misses lots
of functions).
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Standard C/C++ Library

"Andreas Hausladen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Anyone knows if there is a free (downloadable) Standard C/C++
library. The one shipped with the bccx 6.0 preview compiler is a
disaster. It there are more functions left out than included
(especially the stdio.h misses lots of functions).
FWIW, there will be this: incubator.apache.org/stdcxx/ some
time.

Re:Standard C/C++ Library

Thomas Maeder [TeamB] wrote:
FWIW, there will be this: incubator.apache.org/stdcxx/ some
time.
That's a STL. For that I use STLport. What I need is a Standard C library
(I shouldn't had added the "C++" in the thread header). Something that
implements stdio.h, stdlib.h and so on for Windows. Because the bccx 6.0
preview compilier has a lousy Standard C Library compared to the one of
C++Builder. (It has less functions than my TV :-( ).
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

{smallsort}

Re:Standard C/C++ Library

Oh man. I should learn my C++ vocabulary. It is the "C++ Runtime library"
not the Standard C Library. (My excuse: I'm used to write Delphi programs)
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Standard C/C++ Library

En Fri, 19 Aug 2005 23:38:52 +0200, Andreas Hausladen
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >escribi?
Thomas Maeder [TeamB] wrote:

>FWIW, there will be this: incubator.apache.org/stdcxx/ some
>time.

That's a STL. For that I use STLport. What I need is a Standard C library
(I shouldn't had added the "C++" in the thread header). Something that
implements stdio.h, stdlib.h and so on for Windows. Because the bccx 6.0
preview compilier has a lousy Standard C Library compared to the one of
C++Builder. (It has less functions than my TV :-( ).

If you use command line version, you can get Visual C++ 2003 toolkit free
form MS web or MingW Compiler (that's gnu soft); both are better than old
bcb6 compilers; the only current reason to use bcb is vcl.
--
¿Por qu?est?claro que Dios no era mujer?
Porque entonces el {*word*224} sabría a Baileys.

Re:Standard C/C++ Library

Andreas Hausladen wrote:
Anyone knows if there is a free (downloadable) Standard C/C++ library. The
one shipped with the bccx 6.0 preview compiler is a disaster. It there are
more functions left out than included (especially the stdio.h misses lots
of functions).

You have GNU C library
www.gnu.org/software/libc/libc.html
Of course that one can not be compiled out of the box for Borland
compiler (at least on windows).
As an alternative you can try minGW. I guess they use a mix of Glibc and
microsoft RTL. And I'm sure you will have to do quite a few changes in
library itself and not to mention new version of startup object files,
because the existing one's depend on existing RTL.
For an example on how to modify RTL you can start with Matt Pietrek's
article about tiny RTL.
msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/01/01/hood/default.aspx
www.microsoft.com/msj/archive/S569.aspx
Download the older version of library from here (inside the file it is
located in the folder under the hood):
download.microsoft.com/download/0/6/7/0678184e-905e-4783-9511-d4dca1f492b4/MSJOCT96.EXE
Because the new one can not be compiled with bcc32.
There is allso commercial C library at www.dinkumware.com
Darko

Re:Standard C/C++ Library

Darko Miletic wrote:
Download the older version of library from here (inside the file it is
located in the folder under the hood):
download.microsoft.com/download/0/6/7/0678184e-905e-4783-9511-d4dc
a1f492b4/MSJOCT96.EXE

Because the new one can not be compiled with bcc32.
I want it for bccx (6.0 preview compiler) and not for bcc32.
There is allso commercial C library at www.dinkumware.com
That's the lousy one that ships with bccx that I want to replace.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Standard C/C++ Library

"Andreas Hausladen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
>There is allso commercial C library at www.dinkumware.com

That's the lousy one that ships with bccx that I want to replace.
Putting things into context might be in order here.
The Dinkumware library implementation has a good reputation in the
marketplace. Do you know if the preview you are using was shipped with
a reduced library?

Re:Standard C/C++ Library

Thomas Maeder [TeamB] wrote:
Putting things into context might be in order here.

The Dinkumware library implementation has a good reputation in the
marketplace. Do you know if the preview you are using was shipped with
a reduced library?
www.dinkumware.com/manuals/reader.aspx
Search for "popen". You will find nothing. And that is not the only
function. There is a QC entry that claims some more missing functions.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Standard C/C++ Library

I am curious. What is so lousy about Dinkumware and what is missing from it
that is found in BCB?
. Ed
Andreas Hausladen wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>There is allso commercial C library at www.dinkumware.com

That's the lousy one that ships with bccx that I want to replace.

Re:Standard C/C++ Library

"Andreas Hausladen" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
>The Dinkumware library implementation has a good reputation in the
>marketplace. Do you know if the preview you are using was shipped
>with a reduced library?

www.dinkumware.com/manuals/reader.aspx

Search for "popen". You will find nothing. And that is not the only
function. There is a QC entry that claims some more missing
functions.
But popen() is not a Standard C (nor C++) Library function.

Re:Standard C/C++ Library

Thomas Maeder [TeamB] wrote:
But popen() is not a Standard C (nor C++) Library function.
Indeed.
--
Rudy Velthuis [TeamB] rvelthuis.bei.t-online.de
" The best way to predict the future is to invent it." -- Alan Kay

Re:Standard C/C++ Library

When did they add popen to the standard C or C++ library?
I think you'll find it is not part of the standard library and therefore the
language standard demands the name be modified.
The BCB 6 stdio.h header provides a function prototype of _popen which I
think is the function you seek.
The BCX that I have on my machine may or may not be the same version as you
have, but _popen is also in that compiler's stdio.h and its public name,
__popen, is supplied by the libraries cp32mt.lib, cp32mti.lib, cw32.lib,
cw32i.lib, cw32mt.lib and cw32mti.lib
news:430762b2$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Ed Mulroy wrote:
When did they add popen to the standard C or C++ library?
Ok. My fault. I thought that it is a standard C library function because
it was in Borland C++ since the very beginning. And gcc and msvc have it,
too.
The BCX that I have on my machine may or may not be the same version as
you have, but _popen is also in that compiler's stdio.h and its public
name, __popen, is supplied by the libraries cp32mt.lib, cp32mti.lib,
cw32.lib, cw32i.lib, cw32mt.lib and cw32mti.lib
I'm not writing about bcc32.exe (BCB, CBX). I'm writing about bccx.exe
(Borland C++ Compiler 6.0 Preview) which generated .o files and uses .a
files.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen

Re:Standard C/C++ Library

Ed Mulroy wrote:
I am curious. What is so lousy about Dinkumware and what is missing
from it that is found in BCB?
The _popen() function. But now I know it is not part of the Standard C
(C++) Library. And so the problem is not in Dinkumware's lib.
--
Regards,
Andreas Hausladen