C++Builder product shipment delayed?

2005-11-29 05:26:29 PM
cppbuilder13
I just received the following from Borland. Does this mean that since
I specifically ordered the C++Builder 2006 Professional upgrade direct
from Borland that:
a) My order won't ship until January when the C++ portion is expected
to be finished?
b) I won't be charged until it ships in January, but I still get the
special pre-order price?
----
Michael McCulloch
========
"Dear Delphi 2006, C++Builder 2006, or C#Builder 2006 Pre-order
Customer:
The C++Builder 2006 personality included in the initial release of
Borland Developer Studio 2006 will be provided as a Technology
Preview. We recognize the importance of a high quality C/C++
personality, and consider this Preview as the first step in providing
that without delaying delivery of the rest of the studio. Borland
plans to quickly follow this preview up with a free update on or
before December 31st, 2005, downloadable from
www.borland.com/downloads, which will update the Borland
Developer Studio installation with the complete C++Builder 2006
functionality.
Customers who pre-ordered Delphi 2006 or C#Builder 2006 will receive
this initial release so they can immediately take advantage of the
many new features for Delphi and C#.
Customers who pre-ordered C++Builder 2006 will be shipped the updated
version with complete C++Builder 2006 functionality in January.
To help our customers make informed decisions about the timing of
their purchase, we will be publishing additional details about this
release of Borland Developer Studio and the upcoming update on
bdn.borland.com/ shortly."
========

Re:C++Builder product shipment delayed?

At last, a nice clear bit of communication from Borland on
what's going to happen.
Well done Borland!
Andy

Re:C++Builder product shipment delayed?

I think the answer is YES to both (by reading the text very carefully)
Rgds Pete
"Michael McCulloch" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I just received the following from Borland. Does this mean that since
I specifically ordered the C++Builder 2006 Professional upgrade direct
from Borland that:

a) My order won't ship until January when the C++ portion is expected
to be finished?

b) I won't be charged until it ships in January, but I still get the
special pre-order price?

{smallsort}

Pete Fraser wrote:
I think the answer is YES to both (by reading the text very carefully)
Rgds Pete
It's a shame they don't at least give an option to get it earlier but
the issue of when SA starts/stops would need addressing I suppose. I'm
sure developers would find even a halfway useable C++ personality
worthwhile. December is often a poor month for serious development so a
few weeks spent getting familiar with the IDE and running sample code
through the new compiler would be productive IMO. You could be ready to
take full advantage of the finished product when it arrived in January.
--
Andrue Cope [TeamB]
[Bicester, Uk]

Re:C++Builder product shipment delayed?

So if it's a preview, then let me preview it!
We've now gone from:
Getting the product in early Dec, to
Getting the product in early Dec with a C++ preview, to
Getting the product in early Jan.
What's next?
I'd rather get it early, like the Delphi bods.

Andrue Cope [TeamB] wrote:
It's a shame they don't at least give an option to get it earlier but
the issue of when SA starts/stops would need addressing I suppose. I'm
sure developers would find even a halfway useable C++ personality
worthwhile. December is often a poor month for serious development so
a few weeks spent getting familiar with the IDE and running sample
code through the new compiler would be productive IMO. You could be
ready to take full advantage of the finished product when it arrived
in January.
It would be interesting - hence the preview available in the other
editions. I'm not sure how productive it would be, if it is not the
final product, and so presumably not ready for production code.
There is a risk that whatever you learn against a preview compiler must
be relearned against the final one. Hopefully IDE experience would be
very similar though.
Personally, if I was paying for SA, I would prefer the support period
to start from the time I had a working product and to wait for it.
I would be interested in seeing how many customers would prefer to
switch to a Delphi-with-preview SKU instead though. Hope Borland make
that option available to those who want it.
On the upside, I think this increases the chances of getting the
'Highlander' update from the SA, while still getting the 'pre-order'
rate. Maybe we should try selling the Delphi folks that pre-ordering
BCB is the way to go ;?
--
AlisdairM(TeamB)

Re:C++Builder product shipment delayed?

You could always order Delphi 2006 - then you will get the C++ preview.
Rgds Pete
"David Perkins" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
So if it's a preview, then let me preview it!

We've now gone from:

Getting the product in early Dec, to
Getting the product in early Dec with a C++ preview, to
Getting the product in early Jan.
What's next?

I'd rather get it early, like the Delphi bods.

Re:C++Builder product shipment delayed?

You could always order Delphi 2006 - then you will get the C++ preview.
I pre-ordered BCB2006 a couple of weeks ago.

Re:C++Builder product shipment delayed?

I concur. I actually need to start re-learning Delphi as I am going to
need to write some custom controls (my last Delphi experience was Delphi
2).
David Perkins wrote:
So if it's a preview, then let me preview it!

We've now gone from:

Getting the product in early Dec, to
Getting the product in early Dec with a C++ preview, to
Getting the product in early Jan.
What's next?

I'd rather get it early, like the Delphi bods.

Re:C++Builder product shipment delayed?

I pre-ordered C++Builder 2006 a couple of weeks ago but have not had a
similar email from Borland. Am I alone?
Simon
[...]

I pre-ordered in the UK and I've heard sfa. I cannot remember whether
they took my email address though.

Simon Hooper wrote:
I pre-ordered C++Builder 2006 a couple of weeks ago but have not had
a similar email from Borland. Am I alone?
On a minor and unrelated note - could you trim your quotes please. As
per newsgroup guidelines, please post the minimum needed to convey
context. Thanks.
--
Andrue Cope [TeamB]
[Bicester, Uk]
info.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html

Re:C++Builder product shipment delayed?

I got the same email. I had to go back and re-read it several times after
the comments here.
When I read it my first thought was they were going to send the "Technology
Preview", allow the download/update and then send final disks when fixed.
And that would be fine with me.
What's the point in telling me about the Technology Preview and download if
I don't get the software until AFTER the patch is available.
Bryan.
"Michael McCulloch" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I just received the following from Borland. Does this mean that since
I specifically ordered the C++Builder 2006 Professional upgrade direct
from Borland that:

a) My order won't ship until January when the C++ portion is expected
to be finished?

b) I won't be charged until it ships in January, but I still get the
special pre-order price?

----
Michael McCulloch

Re:C++Builder product shipment delayed?

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:19:21 +0000, "Andrue Cope [TeamB]"
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Pete Fraser wrote:

>I think the answer is YES to both (by reading the text very carefully)
>Rgds Pete

It's a shame they don't at least give an option to get it earlier but
the issue of when SA starts/stops would need addressing I suppose.
Given the circumstances of late, I think it is better to delay
shipment of the product, specifically C++Builder 2006, until it is
finished.
After all, I didn't place an order for a tech preview (there was no
mention of it in the initial press releases) and was not pleased with
the prospect of being charged for an unfinished product even with a
discount.
I hope this doesn't continue the disconnect between shipping dates of
Delphi and C++Builder updates beyond this one event. Part of the
recommitment of Borland to C++Builder was supposed to be unified
release schedules as I understood it.
---
Michael McCulloch

Michael McCulloch wrote:
Customers who pre-ordered Delphi 2006 or C#Builder 2006 will receive
this initial release so they can immediately take advantage of the
many new features for Delphi and C#.

Customers who pre-ordered C++Builder 2006 will be shipped the updated
version with complete C++Builder 2006 functionality in January.
To avoid any ambiguity this should probably have been changed to:
Customers who pre-ordered C++Builder 2006 will not receive this initial
release but will be shipped the updated version with complete C++Builder
2006 functionality in January.
Although it seems to be quite clearly implied here.
So.... if you really want the preview C++Builder then it seems as if
you'd have to change your pre-order to C#Builder or Delphi instead.
Cheers,
Kevin.