project options

Hi folks !

I am managing projects in BCB and would like to create sources file server
available for all programmers. So as to decrease network load it would be
great if the output files (eg. obj, exe and tds) were created on local disk.
BUT this could be only done if every project has same output directory for
each computer... and this is the problem.
Is it possible to use the environment variable for intermediate output
direcorty and final output directory ? Or some other way how to set up this
for each user independently ?
The project file .bpr must be same for all users.

Thank's for your interest.

Kamil Poturnaj

Re:project options

What we do is to use a relative path for the output directory, namely
"..\lib".  All of the Builder projects are stored in a directory tree
that is the same on each user's computer, but the root location of the
tree is irrelevant.  For example,

proj\src\dllA
        Contains dllA.bpr and related source files.
proj\src\App
        Contains App.bpr and related source files.
proj\lib
        Contains dllA.dll, dllA.tds, dllA.lib, App.exe, App.tds.

-chad

Chad Broshar wrote:
> What we do is to use a relative path for the output directory, namely
> "..\lib".

Chad,

I'm curious if you've encountered any problems using relative path names
as your output directories.  The "intermediate output" never gives me
too much trouble, but whenever I enter a relative path on the "final
output" line (such as "..\dll") Builder likes to change it to
"..\..\dll" which really gets to be a pain.  Have you discovered a
work-around for this?

Also, have you noticed that when a relative path name is entered on the
"LIB output" line, Builder converts it to an absolute path.  For
instance, "..\lib" is changed to "C:\MyProject\lib".  We would like to
be able to do what Kamil was attempting, but since Builder changes this
to an absolute path, we have to go change all of our project options
every time we compile on a different machine or drive.  If you have
found a work-around for this bug, I would be very interested in knowing
about it.

Jeff Wilhite

Re:project options

> I'm curious if you've encountered any problems using relative path names
> as your output directories.  The "intermediate output" never gives me
> too much trouble, but whenever I enter a relative path on the "final
> output" line (such as "..\dll") Builder likes to change it to
> "..\..\dll" which really gets to be a pain.  Have you discovered a
> work-around for this?

These output directory options are new with version 4, and they are very
buggy.  The LIB Output setting is worthless since BCB ALWAYS converts
relative paths to absolute.  But, if you set the Final Output setting
and leave the LIB Output setting blank, your .lib files go to the final
output directory.

The Final Output setting is usable with workarounds.  The setting gets
corrupted in two situations: if you use the 'Reopen' command and when
BCB loads the last open project on IDE startup.  The workarounds are 1)
don't use the 'Reopen' command and 2) always close the project that
opens on startup without saving changes before opening a project with
which to work.

-chad

Other Threads