Editing read-only files...

How can I set up the BCB3 editor to refuse keystrokes in read-only file(s)?
BCB1 and BCPP5 does this by default.

The problem with allowing changes to an edit window of a read-only file, and
then only flagging the user when they try to save, can be best illustrated
by the following:

The file sample.cpp is set read-only by SourceSafe or other VCS.
Open sample.cpp and edit extensively, (maybe even Run/Debug without saving
first).
When trying to save file, a message box comes up that says sample.cpp is
read-only.
Checkout sample.cpp, only to find out that a fellow developer has already
made extensive changes.
If you continue to save, you kill his/her edits, if you don't, you lose
yours.
The only alternative is to save, Find differences with last checked-in copy,
and merge by hand. (Big Pain!)

This can be averted, of course, if you remember to always checkout the file
before editing. The easiest way to remember this is to have the editor tell
you that this is a read-only file... just like BCB1 and BCPP5 used to do if
you tried to edit a read-only file.

I would greatly appreciate knowing if I missed an option setting somewhere,
or if there's a registry setting to be tweaked.

Thanks,

Allen Heidorn
Coda Music Technology

Re:Editing read-only files...

Sorry, as far as I know BCB3 can't do this and I wish it did as I use
SourceSafe also.

Note however, that SourceSafe can merge back changes between different
branches, IF you share a complete project, work on it and then merge back
the changes to the individual files that have changed. It will then keep
both the other person's changes AND yours. It's pretty complex and quite
impressive that it manages to do this!
HTH Pete

>> remove nospam to get real e-mail address <<

Project Leader:Digital Live Sound, Soundcraft Electronics
Home: pete.fra...@frasersoft.clara.n.o.s.p.a.m.net
Work: pete.fra...@soundcraft.nospam.com
WWW: http://home.clara.net/frasersoft

Allen Heidorn wrote in message <6p53jo$m...@forums.borland.com>...
>How can I set up the BCB3 editor to refuse keystrokes in read-only file(s)?
>BCB1 and BCPP5 does this by default.

>The problem with allowing changes to an edit window of a read-only file,
and
>then only flagging the user when they try to save, can be best illustrated
>by the following:

>The file sample.cpp is set read-only by SourceSafe or other VCS.
>Open sample.cpp and edit extensively, (maybe even Run/Debug without saving
>first).
>When trying to save file, a message box comes up that says sample.cpp is
>read-only.
>Checkout sample.cpp, only to find out that a fellow developer has already
>made extensive changes.
>If you continue to save, you kill his/her edits, if you don't, you lose
>yours.
>The only alternative is to save, Find differences with last checked-in
copy,
>and merge by hand. (Big Pain!)

>This can be averted, of course, if you remember to always checkout the file
>before editing. The easiest way to remember this is to have the editor tell
>you that this is a read-only file... just like BCB1 and BCPP5 used to do if
>you tried to edit a read-only file.

>I would greatly appreciate knowing if I missed an option setting somewhere,
>or if there's a registry setting to be tweaked.

>Thanks,

>Allen Heidorn
>Coda Music Technology

Other Threads