JPEG Source Code for C++Builder and Borland C++

JPEG Source Code for C++Builder and Borland C++

Sorry if this is a duplicate. The original post did not show up
on my machine after 24 hours. However,

Due to the large number of requests urging speed over completeness
I have placed C++ source code for a JPEG coder and decoder that
works with C++Builder and Borland C++ on the source code page at

www.colosseumbuilders.com

At the present time there is only coding and decoding into a format that
is simple to display on Windows. There is not yet a BCB component.

The package includes a simple example that only uses the Windows API
to display images.

At the present time there is no color quantization so those of you who
are not using 24-bit display modes will get bad results.

And finally, there is no documentation yet. If you do not mind wading through
the code then have at it. I think you will find that this is the clearest
JPEG code you will have ever seen. If you want to learn the black-art of
JPEG then you may want to have a look.

John - N8086N
Organizer and Executive Vice President of the
"Vast Right-Wing {*word*97}"
The Vast Right-Wing {*word*97} is now on-line at
http://home.att.net/~miano/{*word*97}.htm
EMail Address:
|m.i.a.n.o @    |
|c.o.l.o.s.s.e.u.m.b.u.i.l.d.e.r.s.|
|c.o.m.|

Full Name:
-------------------
-J.o.h.n?M.i.a.n.o-
-------------------

Re:JPEG Source Code for C++Builder and Borland C++

That's great John.  Obviously a lot of folks are needing this!

Between you and Jeff Cottingham, we'll finally get what we've been waiting
for.

BTW, you guys doing an update to the "How-To" for version 3.0??

cheers,
Paul

Re:JPEG Source Code for C++Builder and Borland C++

Hmm do you have anything on converting PCX files or TGA, TIFF files to
something Windows can handle through APIs?  I have been able to write a PCX
decoder but I am having a problem understanding certain details...namely
planes...I understand a plane is a surface which extends indefinitely in all
directions but how does that apply to a PCX file?  Is it like layers?

Let me know,

If you could maybe point me to some resources on decoding a PCX file in C++
( maybe with examples and source or tutorials ) please let me know ...

Thanks,

Joel Dudgeon
GRea...@netcom.ca

Joel Dudgeon wrote:

> Hmm do you have anything on converting PCX files or TGA, TIFF files to
> something Windows can handle through APIs?  I have been able to write a PCX
> decoder but I am having a problem understanding certain details...namely
> planes...I understand a plane is a surface which extends indefinitely in all
> directions but how does that apply to a PCX file?  Is it like layers?

a plane in terms of graphics programmings is a color.  Red, blue, and
green planes.  Sometimes white intensity planes.  Those of us that
recall programming in DOS remember using planes for colors, setting the
DAC registers and so on - was real fun :-)

> Let me know,

> If you could maybe point me to some resources on decoding a PCX file in C++
> ( maybe with examples and source or tutorials ) please let me know ...

> Thanks,

> Joel Dudgeon
> GRea...@netcom.ca

Mike