Where does BCB5 look for packages?

I'm trying to install a third party package in BCB5.  The package is
located in its own directory.  I go to the menu Component | Install
Packages and use the Add button.  The package installs with no problem.
  I can drag components from it and compile fine.

But after I close and restart BCB5, I get an error message:
Can't load package......
One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found.

So where is BCB looking for the package???  Obviously, it didn't
remember the path when I installed the package.  The documentation I
studied indicated that I might need to add the package path to Tools |
Environment Options | Library and add to the Library Path.  No go.

I was getting upset until I tried the environment path set in
autoexec.bat.  Voila.  So what the h???.  Why is BCB using the
environment path and none of the paths in the Tools configuration?  Is
it supposed to be this way?  If so, how come it's not documented?  Grrrr.

Cliff

Re:Where does BCB5 look for packages?

"cshak" <mouse_kil...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> So where is BCB looking for the package???

On the system path.

> Obviously, it didn't remember the path when I installed the package.

You need to install the package somewhere on the system path, or else add
the path to the IDE's environment settings.

Or, if you simply open the package's BPK file and use the Install option
instead, the compiled files are automaticaly copied to the
$(BCB)\Projects\BPL and $(BCB)\Projects\Lib folders, both of which are
already in the system path and environment settings.

Gambit

Re:Where does BCB5 look for packages?

Thanks.  Now I can stop the head banging. :-)

Other Threads