Assembly program link error within the IDE

I'm working in the C++ Builder (v. 4) environment and am trying to build
an app consisting entirely of assembly  code. Each   time I try to build
or make I get the error below

       [Linker Fatal Error] Fatal: Illegal fixup type 2 at offset
000003A3 in module
       'M:\ProgramDemos\353\DEMOS\PC\C0456.asm'.

  The latter, is of course, my subdirectory. On looking at the
documentation for this error the following message  appears:

       The fixup in the object file has an invalid type. This can happen
if the object file is corrupted. Try to  recompile that object file. If
this message still persists, contact Inprise Technical Support.

  I've tried recompiling, but to no avail. In short, the assembler seems
to have no objection but something is  happening to the obj   file which
the linker does not like. Has anyone seen this problem before?

  Thanks

Bill Shay

Re:Assembly program link error within the IDE

: Bill Shay <sh...@itol.edu> wrote:

>       [Linker Fatal Error] Fatal: Illegal fixup type 2 at offset
>000003A3 in module
>       'M:\ProgramDemos\353\DEMOS\PC\C0456.asm'.

How exactly did you compile (assemble) "C0456.asm"?

--
General information:
    * Do not cross- or multipost

TeamB - http://www.teamb.com/

Re:Assembly program link error within the IDE

I opened C++ Builder and chose menu options at below:

File-> open (and specified a file with a .ASM extension)
Project-> add to project
Project->build project1

My understanding is that if the file contains an .ASM extention then
assembly language is assumed. Indeed, if I alter an assemble command or
a symbolic reference I get an assembly error.

"Stefan Hoffmeister (TeamB)" wrote:
> : Bill Shay <sh...@itol.edu> wrote:

> >       [Linker Fatal Error] Fatal: Illegal fixup type 2 at offset
> >000003A3 in module
> >       'M:\ProgramDemos\353\DEMOS\PC\C0456.asm'.

> How exactly did you compile (assemble) "C0456.asm"?

> --
> General information:
>   * Post to the right group - http://www.borland.com/newsgroups/
>     * Do not cross- or multipost
>       * Research at http://www.mers.com/searchsite.html

> Stefan Hoffmeister - http://www.econos.de/
> TeamB - http://www.teamb.com/

Bill Shay                                PHONES:  Office (920) 465-2316
Information and Computing Sciences                Department (920)
465-2371
University of Wisconsin at Green Bay              FAX (920) 465-2376
2420 Nicolet Drive                       EMAIL:   sh...@uwgb.edu
Green Bay WI 54311-7001                  WEB:
http://www.uwgb.edu/shayw

Re:Assembly program link error within the IDE

Bill,
I've seen something similar when trying to use .obj files created by
MASM. BCB4 linker couldn't handle some fixups that MASM was generating.
Presumably, TASM would never generate fixups like that. BCB5's linker
has this issue resolved. I'd try the free BCC55 toolset and see what
happens.

Alex

: Bill Shay <sh...@uwgb.edu> wrote:

>My understanding is that if the file contains an .ASM extention then
>assembly language is assumed.

Yes.

>> >       [Linker Fatal Error] Fatal: Illegal fixup type 2 at offset
>> >000003A3 in module
>> >       'M:\ProgramDemos\353\DEMOS\PC\C0456.asm'.

Are you certain that this problem is not restricted to some construct in
the assembler source file?

BTW, quoting a message you reply to is not helpful. It forces those who
read to all their very own mess, whether required or not.

Other Threads