How does one get OutputDebugString (or similar process) to work in C++Builder5 STANDARD (without Event Log)???

Hello,

As C++Builder 5.0 Standard does not have the Event Log I am in a bit of a
dillema as to how to get OutputDebugString() to work from within units as a
very usefull part of the debugging process.  I have upgraded from
C++Builder 1.0 Standard where using OutputDebugString was simple with a
dedicated editor file showing the output.  I was amazed that C++Builder 5
Standard did not have a similar basic functionality (although I am sure that
those people with Event Log will see that as a significant enhancement over
old ways).  I am seeking information on how to overcome the above problem or
how to achieve a similar debugging insight as provided by OutputDebugString.
I am working on a stand alone application so solutions involving clients
will not be of help in my situation.

Thank You in advance
Ken Wilmott

Re:How does one get OutputDebugString (or similar process) to work in C++Builder5 STANDARD (without Event Log)???

It doesn't???

Gambit

"thinkeriam" <pri...@iinet.net.au> wrote in message news:3c5e48a2_1@dnews...
> As C++Builder 5.0 Standard does not have the Event Log

<snip>

Re:How does one get OutputDebugString (or similar process) to work in C++Builder5 STANDARD (without Event Log)???

It doesn't, please see the debugging feature matrix at
http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/productinfo/feamatrix/debugging.html

My C++Builder 5.0 Standard software actually doesn't have the Event Log
available under any of the the menus where the help files say it should be
which aggrees with the matrix data at the above site.

Ken

> > As C++Builder 5.0 Standard does not have the Event Log
> <snip>

Re:How does one get OutputDebugString (or similar process) to work in C++Builder5 STANDARD (without Event Log)???

> As C++Builder 5.0 Standard does not have the Event Log I am in a bit of a
> dillema as to how to get OutputDebugString() to work from within units as
> very usefull part of the debugging process.

Goto www.sysinternals.com and download DebugView.

Leo Havm?ller.

Re:How does one get OutputDebugString (or similar process) to work in C++Builder5 STANDARD (without Event Log)???

Leo,

I have downloaded DebugView but could not get it to work with my C++Builder5
as it requires a network and I have a stand alone computer setup (using
windows XP).
So it does not solve the problem for me.
Thanks all the same.

Ken

"Leo Havm?ller" <l...@-nospam-rtx.dk> wrote in message

> > As C++Builder 5.0 Standard does not have the Event Log I am in a bit of
> > dillema as to how to get OutputDebugString() to work from within units
as
> > very usefull part of the debugging process.

> Goto www.sysinternals.com and download DebugView.

> Leo Havm?ller.

Re:How does one get OutputDebugString (or similar process) to work in C++Builder5 STANDARD (without Event Log)???

> So it does not solve the problem for me.

Okay, I've uploaded my simple debug output viewer to my web site. It isn't
very elaborate, but give it a try. It works for all WinNT family computers
(*not* Win9x).

--
Jonathan Arnold         C/C++/CBuilder Keen Advice:
http://www.keen.com/categories/categorylist_expand.asp?sid=5156620

Re:How does one get OutputDebugString (or similar process) to work in C++Builder5 STANDARD (without Event Log)???

It does work for me:
I use
    char str[20];
    wsprintf(str,"TX: 0x%02X",ch);
    OutputDebugString(str);
all the time. Output is send to the IDE debug message window.

Ernest.

"thinkeriam" <pri...@iinet.net.au> wrote in message news:3c5ea947_2@dnews...
> Leo,

> I have downloaded DebugView but could not get it to work with my
C++Builder5
> as it requires a network and I have a stand alone computer setup (using
> windows XP).

You got it wrong. It doesnt require network, and it's not for C++ Builder,
its for your application.
It captures OutputDebugString from any application.

Leo Havm?ller.

Re:How does one get OutputDebugString (or similar process) to work in C++Builder5 STANDARD (without Event Log)???

Yes, I did get it wrong.
DebugView enables me to use outputdebugstring from my application.
Thanks for that.

Ken Wilmott

> > Leo,

> > I have downloaded DebugView but could not get it to work with my
> C++Builder5
> > as it requires a network and I have a stand alone computer setup (using
> > windows XP).

> You got it wrong. It doesnt require network, and it's not for C++ Builder,
> its for your application.
> It captures OutputDebugString from any application.

> Leo Havm?ller.

Re:How does one get OutputDebugString (or similar process) to work in C++Builder5 STANDARD (without Event Log)???

I gave it a try and it works.
Thanks

Ken Wilmott

"Jonathan Arnold" <jdarn...@buddydog.org> wrote in message

> > So it does not solve the problem for me.

> Okay, I've uploaded my simple debug output viewer to my web site. It isn't
> very elaborate, but give it a try. It works for all WinNT family computers
> (*not* Win9x).

> --
> Jonathan Arnold         C/C++/CBuilder Keen Advice:
> http://www.keen.com/categories/categorylist_expand.asp?sid=5156620
>    Comprehensive C++Builder link site:
> http://www.buddydog.org/C++Builder/c++builder.html

Other Threads