Freeze Ups

> Ever since I upgraded from CBuilder 3 to CBuilder 5 when I am editing
> code and hour glass appears to the right of the arrow in the cursor at
> regular intervals. When it does it becomes impossible to do anything

This is Code Insight running, trying to give you lots of cool
information about the variable you are hovering over, like a list of
methods and properties and such.  If you hold down the control key
over a variable or whatever, you'll see it turn into a link, so you
can jump to its declaration too! These are all cool things, but they
can take a while as the code is pre-compiled so it can find it. If
your machine is at all reasonable, you can usually get a reasonable
response time by tuning your precompiled headers, as Harold Howe
documents at:

http://www.bcbdev.com/articles/pch.htm

However, if you still want to turn it all off, do the following:

1] Go to Tools|Environment Options|Code Insight and turn off all the options

2] Do a registry hack. Mind you, all the usual warnings apply when editing the
registry, but:

Change value of registry entry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Borland\C++Builder\4.0\Code Insight\Declaration Information
from "-1" to "False"...

I think in BCB5 there are more settings and less need for registry
hacks, but I don't have it to verify that.

Also see:

+=====================================================+
| Jonathan Arnold (mailto:jdarn...@buddydog.org)      |
|         Comprehensive C++Builder link site:         |
| http://www.buddydog.org/C++Builder/c++builder.html  |
+=====================================================+

Re:Freeze Ups

Ever since I upgraded from CBuilder 3 to CBuilder 5 when I am editing
code and hour glass appears to the right of the arrow in the cursor at
regular intervals. When it does it becomes impossible to do anything
until the hour glass disappears in 30 seconds to a minute. The keyboard
is totally unresponsive during this time. This is happening more and
more often and now it has become a major impediment to getting work
done. I thought that when I transitioned from a 400Mhz to a 1.4 GHz
computer what ever it is doing would get done much faster, but it is
still taking as long.

Can anyone tell me what it is doing when this happens and how to turn it
off if I decide it is not worth the time lost to it? It has become very
irritating.

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 and the Windows 98 operating system.

--
If sj. appears in the domain name of my return email address remove it
to respond. It is a spam jammer.

Re:Freeze Ups

"Artist" <art...@sj.cwia.com> wrote in message

> Ever since I upgraded from CBuilder 3 to CBuilder 5 when I am editing
> code and hour glass appears to the right of the arrow in the cursor at
> regular intervals.

There are several options you should turn off.  Go to "Tools | Editor
Options | Code Insight".  Check off "Code Completion", "Code Parameters" and
"Tooltip Symbol Insight."  These options work really well in Delphi and
Visual Basic but do not work very well with BCB.  If you still want to use
the first two, type CTRL+SPACE while coding to actively initiate the code
help.

Next, go to "Tools | Environment Options | C++ Builder Direct."  Turn off
"Automatically poll network."  This isn't causing your delays but it has
been known to cause access violations in the IDE.  Figured I'd save you the
heartache by giving you a heads up.  To manually execute this feature go to
"Help | C++ Builder Direct"

HTH,

--
  Clayton