Different BPL's with same name

2005-05-27 04:28:32 PM
cppbuilder8
I wondered if the following situation can cause problems.
I have two applications which are each installed into their own
directory. Both these application use a BPL that have the same name.
These BPL's are installed in the application directories so each app has
its own copy. However the two copies can be different versions.
Can this cause problems because windows thinks these two files are the
same? I once heard that windows can't distinguish between DLL's with the
same name but different paths.
Eelke

Re:Different BPL's with same name

Eelke wrote:
Can this cause problems because windows thinks these two files are
the same? I once heard that windows can't distinguish between DLL's
with the same name but different paths.
It shouldn't matter for a normal DLL because Windows will look in the
EXEs directory first. I'm not sure about BPLs but I will tentatively
say that I don't think it matters.
tbh this is why I prefer manual DLL loading against implicit. I can
specify a fully qualified path to the DLL so there is no doubt which
one gets loaded.
--
Andrue Cope [TeamB]
[Bicester, Uk]

Eelke < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
Can this cause problems because windows thinks these two files are the
same? I once heard that windows can't distinguish between DLL's with the
same name but different paths.
It certainly used to be the case. And I would have thought it still was
the case, but it looks like I'm wrong. I've just tested it with the
debug and release builds of an application, and they're loading
different instances of their DLLs.
(And I know they're different, because I used NtHandle to see which DLLs
got loaded.)
Alan Bellingham
--
ACCU Conference 2006 - 19-22 April, Randolph Hotel, Oxford, UK

{smallsort}

Alan Bellingham wrote:
It certainly used to be the case.
I remember when I first started using DLLs it was something of a black
art. We had terrible problems working out how to get the DLL we wanted.
At some point all of that went away and now we have several different
versions of our own software (Release, development, In-house) installed
on each machine without conflict.
--

"Andrue Cope [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
At some point all of that went away and now we have several different
versions of our own software (Release, development, In-house) installed
on each machine without conflict.
Um, yes.
Data point - I'm using Windows 2000.
Of the 16-bit versions of Windows, 3.1 certainly had this problem. I'm
not sure whether it was sorted by the time that product finally expired
in the form of 95/98/ME.
Alan Bellingham
--
ACCU Conference 2006 - 19-22 April, Randolph Hotel, Oxford, UK