RAD Studio help files on C RTL

In CG CB 2007 with the latest updates if in help you go here:
ms-help://borland.bds5/devwin32/cruntimelibrarypart_xml.html
you will see listed mem.h and alloc.h but no memory.h.
Someone here told me to use memory.h to get malloc/free sorts of functions. I do not see memory.h there in CodeGear's help.
The alloc.h has malloc/free. The mem.h has memcpy/memset/etc.
Does anyone know either a better place in Borland's help for which RTL include files to use or the best place on the web for which RTL include files to use?

Re:RAD Studio help files on C RTL

"Randall Parker" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

In CG CB 2007 with the latest updates if in help you go here:
ms-help://borland.bds5/devwin32/cruntimelibrarypart_xml.html
you will see listed mem.h and alloc.h but no memory.h.

Someone here told me to use memory.h to get malloc/free sorts of
functions. I do not see memory.h there in CodeGear's help.
Who told you that? Malloc and free are in stdlib.h.
The alloc.h has malloc/free. The mem.h has memcpy/memset/etc.

Does anyone know either a better place in Borland's help for which RTL
include files to use or the best place on the web for which RTL include
files to use?
I've already answered this question for you:
www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/cstdlib/malloc.html
www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/
Go to cplusplus.com. The header you want is <cstdlib>. For C, you can look
on opengroup.org:
www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/malloc.html
www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/
Jason

news:47e7c8d5$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>In CG CB 2007 with the latest updates if in help you go here:
>ms-help://borland.bds5/devwin32/cruntimelibrarypart_xml.html
>you will see listed mem.h and alloc.h but no memory.h.
>
>Someone here told me to use memory.h to get malloc/free sorts of
>functions. I do not see memory.h there in CodeGear's help.

Who told you that? Malloc and free are in stdlib.h.

>The alloc.h has malloc/free. The mem.h has memcpy/memset/etc.
>
>Does anyone know either a better place in Borland's help for which RTL
>include files to use or the best place on the web for which RTL include
>files to use?
And, of course, you could try highlighting malloc() in your code editor and
pressing F1... the topic name for malloc actually has the header name in it,
so you don't even need to go all the way into the help...

I've already answered this question for you:

www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/cstdlib/malloc.html
www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/

Go to cplusplus.com. The header you want is <cstdlib>. For C, you can look
on opengroup.org:

www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/malloc.html
www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/

Jason

{smallsort}

Re:RAD Studio help files on C RTL

"Jason Cipriani" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
And, of course, you could try highlighting malloc() in your code editor and
pressing F1... the topic name for malloc actually has the header name in it,
so you don't even need to go all the way into the help...
F1 does not work on sprintf or free. In both cases the IDE takes me to the VCL versions of those. Is there some way to turn off searching of VCL help or to make it search the Dinkumware C++ help before the VCL help?

Re:RAD Studio help files on C RTL

"Randall Parker" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

In CG CB 2007 with the latest updates if in help you go here:
ms-help://borland.bds5/devwin32/cruntimelibrarypart_xml.html
you will see listed mem.h and alloc.h but no memory.h.

Someone here told me to use memory.h to get malloc/free sorts of
functions. I do not see memory.h there in CodeGear's help.

The alloc.h has malloc/free. The mem.h has memcpy/memset/etc.

Does anyone know either a better place in Borland's help for which RTL
include files to use or the best place on the web for which RTL include
files to use?

Borland uses dinkumware. So you can try:
dinkumware.com/manuals/default.aspx
Typing malloc in the search field gets a hit for stdlib.h
(after references to new() BTW)
I usually use this for MS as well as it seems better than
the normal MSDN help.

Re:RAD Studio help files on C RTL

Here's the best way I've found to consistently get help on functions of all kinds:
In the CodeGear RAD Studio help click on Index. Then type in the function name in the "Look for:" control on the left. That master list of function names has good entries in it. Other ways to reach function name info are more hit-and-miss. This way works best.

Randall Parker wrote:
F1 does not work on sprintf or free. In both cases the IDE takes me
to the VCL versions of those. Is there some way to turn off
searching of VCL help or to make it search the Dinkumware C++ help
before the VCL help?
You don't want it to search the Dinkumware help since the rtl is not
provided by Dinkumware - it is from CodeGear and you should use their
help. Unfortunately the Dinkumware help does also appear to be
provided and I know of no way to eliminate it selectively.
Dinkumware STL is included, so you don't want to ignore all of the
Dinkumware help - my guess is that they provide their help as a single
package, so CodeGear had the option to include it all or none of it.
You can quickly become familiar with what headers are provided by
Dinkumware, as they are in a separate include folder - there are 66 in
all.
- Leo

Duane Hebert wrote:
Borland uses dinkumware. So you can try:
Only for STL. The RTL headers are their own with CodeGear copyright
notices in them.
- Leo

"Leo Siefert" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Duane Hebert wrote:

>Borland uses dinkumware. So you can try:

Only for STL. The RTL headers are their own with CodeGear copyright
notices in them.
Thanks for the correction then.

Re:RAD Studio help files on C RTL

"Randall Parker" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

Here's the best way I've found to consistently get help on functions of
all kinds:

In the CodeGear RAD Studio help click on Index. Then type in the function
name in the "Look for:" control on the left. That master list of function
names has good entries in it. Other ways to reach function name info are
more hit-and-miss. This way works best.
Indeed, using help's search feature does have its charms, sometimes.