Indy9 and BCB6 again

2005-11-29 11:23:55 PM
cppbuilder31
I've read succes stories in this group and other places about installing
Indy9 into BCB6, but whatever I try, it doesn't work for me. Can someone
with a working install shed some light om my attempts?
I use BCB6 professional (update 4) on Windows XP professional. I've
tried to install Indy 9.00.10, 9.00.14 and 9.00.17 from the sourcefiles
at indyproject.org using the instructions in the knowledgebase at
www.indyproject.org/KB/Downloads%5CIndyKB.pdf
In any case source\fullc6.bat runs without errors (only warnings while
creating Indy60.lib telling that the objects to replace are not found in
the library) and a C6 directory with content is created.
I've remove the old Indy8 files as stated in the knowledgebase and I've
removed the Indy package from the options.
I've copied the C6 directory to the BCB tree and added Indy as a new
package. Finally I've changed the library and include directories by
adding the C6 directory to the paths.
If I make a new VCL application I can see that the design-time package
is working. If I put a TIdSMTP on an empty form and try to build the
project I get the message:
[Linker Fatal Error] Fatal: Unable to open file 'INDY.LIB'
If I copy Indy60.lib to Indy.lib in the C6 directory the message changes to:
[Linker Error] Fatal: Access violation: Link terminated.
It looks like a bug in the Indy packages, but as the are success stories
found, that could not be the case. I'm getting quiet desperate here...
Some help would be more than welcome.
Regards,
--
Max
C++U2

Re:Indy9 and BCB6 again

I've read succes stories in this group and other places about installing
Indy9 into BCB6, but whatever I try, it doesn't work for me. Can someone
with a working install shed some light om my attempts?
Look at the thread:
Installing Indy 9.018 on Borland C++ Builder 6
... that's how I managed to install working Indy9
But also NOTE: that's not the official way, but I also
do not know the other.
--
Best regards,
Vladimir Stefanovic

Re:Indy9 and BCB6 again

Vladimir Stefanovic schreef:
>I've read succes stories in this group and other places about installing
>Indy9 into BCB6, but whatever I try, it doesn't work for me. Can someone
>with a working install shed some light om my attempts?

Look at the thread:
Installing Indy 9.018 on Borland C++ Builder 6

... that's how I managed to install working Indy9

But also NOTE: that's not the official way, but I also
do not know the other.

Thanks for your response Vladimir. I did read that thread before and
except the merge part (I used files from a single distribution) I think
I did it the way you described it. Do you have update 4 installed too?
Thanks,
--
Max
C++U2

{smallsort}

Re:Indy9 and BCB6 again

Do you have update 4 installed too?
Yes, I do.
--
Best regards,
Vladimir Stefanovic

Re:Indy9 and BCB6 again

"Max" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
In any case source\fullc6.bat runs without errors (only warnings
while creating Indy60.lib telling that the objects to replace are
not found in the library) and a C6 directory with content is created.
What are the EXACT warnings? If you are getting any warnings, then
obviously the batch file did not run completely fine.
I've copied the C6 directory to the BCB tree and added Indy as a
new package. Finally I've changed the library and include directories
by adding the C6 directory to the paths.
You should not have done that. The FULLC6.BAT file produces fully compiled
binary package files that are ready to be installed into the IDE as-is. You
do not need to make new packages at all.
Gambit

Re:Indy9 and BCB6 again

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>In any case source\fullc6.bat runs without errors (only warnings
>while creating Indy60.lib telling that the objects to replace are
>not found in the library) and a C6 directory with content is created.

What are the EXACT warnings? If you are getting any warnings, then
obviously the batch file did not run completely fine.

The warnings come from the line:
%NDC6%\bin\tlib.exe Indy60.lib /P32 @IndyWin32.rsp
and they show if>nul is removed from the end. As far as I understand
the Indy60.lib is initially empty and in IndyWin32.rsp all object files
are preceded by the command 'replace module' (-+). So this wil give the
following warnings:
Warning: 'IdAntiFreezeBase' not found in library
Warning: 'IdAssignedNumbers' not found in library
Warning: 'IdAuthentication' not found in library
Warning: 'IdWhois' not found in library
Warning: 'IdWhoIsServer' not found in library
Warning: 'IdWinsock2' not found in library

>I've copied the C6 directory to the BCB tree and added Indy as a
>new package. Finally I've changed the library and include directories
>by adding the C6 directory to the paths.

You should not have done that. The FULLC6.BAT file produces fully compiled
binary package files that are ready to be installed into the IDE as-is. You
do not need to make new packages at all.

Are you really sure about this?
The way to install Indy is very confusing for me. The document in the
knowledgebase tells to remove the Indy8 files by hand and add Indy9 by
adding the package and changing the Library path and the Include path,
while the ReadMe.txt file in the Indy distribution mentions that for
BCB6 it is not workable to delete the old Indy8 files as there are so
many files in several paths. Instead you have to add the path before the
standard Borland RTL Paths. As I first tried the latter, it might have
messed up something that prevented the former from working.
Even when I decided to return to Indy8 my attempts had messed up some
projects I used to test Indy with. Errors of not able to find
webdsnap.bpi and websnap.bpi started to apear.
I think I'll try to install Indy9 again after a fresh install of BCB6.
Can you tell me which version should work, without mixing files from
several distributions?
Thanks,
--
Max
C++U2

Re:Indy9 and BCB6 again

"Max" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Are you really sure about this?
Yes, I am. I have Indy 9.0.50 installed in BCB6 right now, and FULLC6.BAT
always works perfectly for me whenever I (re)install Indy 9.
The way to install Indy is very confusing for me.
There is nothing confusing about it. Run FULLC6.BAT and then use the IDE's
"Install Packages" menu item to add the newly-compiled designtime package
into the IDE, and then make sure that Indy is in your project's search
paths.
The document in the knowledgebase tells to remove the Indy8
files by hand
That is correct. There is no uninstaller for Indy 8. Indy 8 must be
removed in order for Indy 9 to function properly.
the ReadMe.txt file in the Indy distribution mentions that for
BCB6 it is not workable to delete the old Indy8 files as there are
so many files in several paths.
The KB tells you exactly where they are and what to delete.
Gambit

Re:Indy9 and BCB6 again

I seem to be succesfull with Indy 9.0.17, but this time I also removed
the indy.bpi files in Lib\Debug and Lib\Release. And I copied Indy60.lib
to indy.lib and Indy60.bpi to indy.bpi
It is still a mystery for me how you all succeeded in installing Indy9
as is. As a matter of fact I used a non formal way to install just like
Vladimir did before me.
Thanks,
--
Max
C++U2

Re:Indy9 and BCB6 again

news:438cb38c$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Are you really sure about this?

Yes, I am. I have Indy 9.0.50 installed in BCB6 right now, and FULLC6.BAT
always works perfectly for me whenever I (re)install Indy 9.

>The way to install Indy is very confusing for me.

There is nothing confusing about it. Run FULLC6.BAT and then use the IDE's
"Install Packages" menu item to add the newly-compiled designtime package
into the IDE, and then make sure that Indy is in your project's search
paths.

>The document in the knowledgebase tells to remove the Indy8
>files by hand

That is correct. There is no uninstaller for Indy 8. Indy 8 must be
removed in order for Indy 9 to function properly.

>the ReadMe.txt file in the Indy distribution mentions that for
>BCB6 it is not workable to delete the old Indy8 files as there are
>so many files in several paths.

The KB tells you exactly where they are and what to delete.

Gambit

Thanks Remy,
I gave it another try and it looks like I'm successfull this time. I had
to perform some extra actions to make it work. I'm not sure about this,
but aren't .BPI files version dependant? After removing files as stated
in the KB the files Lib\Debuk\indy.bpi and Lib\Release\indy.bpi were
still in the BCB6 environment. They might have stopped me at earlier
tries...
Regards,
--
Max
C++U2

Re:Indy9 and BCB6 again

"Max" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I seem to be succesfull with Indy 9.0.17
Now that you have 9.0.17 working, I suggest you install the 9.0.50 snapshot
over it, to make sure that you have all of the latest fixes, features, etc.
Gambit