type library errors.. ocx vendor or Borland?

2005-11-11 05:15:21 AM
cppbuilder36
Hi.
I am quite unschooled (despite lots of reading and experimenting) with
ActiveX controls.
I installed an activeX control.
When I went to use it in a project, at one point I got a compile error
for a method I was pretty sure was supposed to be there.
When I looked, the error was in the xxxLib_TLB.h file like this:
template <class T>long __fastcall
TCOMISpicerDocT<T>::get_layerID(long pageID/*[in]*/, short
layerNumber/*[in]*/)
{
long a;
OLECHECK(this->get_layerID(, layerNumber, (long*)&a));
return a;
}
It appears that this is part of the dispinterface that is exposed to
the development environment, right?
Well also it looked like there was a parameter missing so I just
manually added it in:
template <class T>long __fastcall
TCOMISpicerDocT<T>::get_layerID(long pageID/*[in]*/, short
layerNumber/*[in]*/)
{
long a;
OLECHECK(this->get_layerID(pageID, layerNumber, (long*)&a));/*ADDED
PAGEID and layernumber JEFF KISH*/
return a;
}
Things worked better after I did this.
Now...
I don't know how to read the tlb file that came with the ocx.
I was wondering if this was likely a shortcoming in the tlb file and
should I tell the vendor, or is it a problem with the way CBuilder
imported the activeX control and subsequently built the .h/.cpp
interface files?
Thanks
Jeff Kish

Re:type library errors.. ocx vendor or Borland?

"Jeff Kish" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I was wondering if this was likely a shortcoming in the tlb file and
should I tell the vendor, or is it a problem with the way CBuilder
imported the activeX control and subsequently built the .h/.cpp
interface files?
It was BCB's fault. The TLB code is auto-generated by BCB. Which version
of BCB are you actually using, and do you have all of the available patches
installed for it?
Gambit

Re:type library errors.. ocx vendor or Borland?

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>I was wondering if this was likely a shortcoming in the tlb file and
>should I tell the vendor, or is it a problem with the way CBuilder
>imported the activeX control and subsequently built the .h/.cpp
>interface files?

It was BCB's fault. The TLB code is auto-generated by BCB. Which version
of BCB are you actually using, and do you have all of the available patches
installed for it?

Gambit

I'm using cbuilder 6.0. I believe my patches are all up to date ..
how can one tell?
The about box says:
Version 6.0 (Build 10.165)
Say, did they change the support site? I don't have a support
contract, and when I go to support.borland.com I don't see any
cbuilder 6 patches available despite the fact I purchased the product
(albeit a while back).
Thanks
Jeff Kish

{smallsort}

Re:type library errors.. ocx vendor or Borland?

<Snip>
I found the site.
I know I had the first three updates....
cb6errs_pro.zip
bcb6p01.zip
bcb6_pro_upd2.exe
The only two that look like they might be pertinent I'm downloading
now:
ilink_pro.zip
bcb6_eng_pro_upd4.exe
I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling the activeX and see if the tlb
looks any better after the patches are installed.
Any other thoughts/comments?

< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>"Jeff Kish" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>
>>I was wondering if this was likely a shortcoming in the tlb file and
>>should I tell the vendor, or is it a problem with the way CBuilder
>>imported the activeX control and subsequently built the .h/.cpp
>>interface files?
>
>It was BCB's fault. The TLB code is auto-generated by BCB. Which version
>of BCB are you actually using, and do you have all of the available patches
>installed for it?
>

>Gambit

blast.
I reinstalled my borland cbuilder 6.0.
I am trying to run the update4 since it says it is cumulative.
It says:
Setup ahs detedted a -115 error while attempting to copy files.
This can be caused by a file being in use while trying to install.
Component: Program Files\Main Program Files
File : c:\program files\borland\cbuilder6\incluce\pshpack8.h
Error : -115
OK
Any idea how to get around this? I don't see anything about a 115
error, and nothing else is open. I tried rebooting.
Thanks
Jeff Kish

Re:type library errors.. ocx vendor or Borland?

<snip>
OK. I found out this. (which maybe I should of remembered..)
evertime I ran it got slightly, imperceptably further.
I ran it about 20 times and finally it made it to the very end with a
catastrophic failure that mentioned some missing bpf file in a dialog.
I leaned on the about button until things cleared up.
Then I installed one more time and it made it all the way through just
fine... whew.. that sucked!
Thanks for listening, and I hope this helps some other poor soul....
Now back to the tlib problem...

< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

"Jeff Kish" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>I was wondering if this was likely a shortcoming in the tlb file and
>should I tell the vendor, or is it a problem with the way CBuilder
>imported the activeX control and subsequently built the .h/.cpp
>interface files?

It was BCB's fault. The TLB code is auto-generated by BCB. Which version
of BCB are you actually using, and do you have all of the available patches
installed for it?

Gambit

Hi Remy.
Yes, I finally reinstalled cbuilder 6.0 100% and installed all the
relevant patches (compiler, linker, help etc.. just not the starteam
or mobile ones).
Same thing.. the file is fairly messed up.
Is there anything to do besides try to fix manually?
If not, I can only try. Not sure the best way to figure it out, I mean
sometimes it is obvious, but a couple have more parameters coming in
than evidently are used in the failing call.
Thanks
Jeff Kish

Re:type library errors.. ocx vendor or Borland?

Run OLESpy from Microsoft and find that control. You can see how the
functions are declared and you can manually fix your Borland generated code.
I know this is not perfect but I have had to do this in the past and it does
work.
-Tom

Tom wrote:
Run OLESpy from Microsoft and find that control. You can see how the
functions are declared and you can manually fix your Borland generated code.
I know this is not perfect but I have had to do this in the past and it does
work.

-Tom

"Jeff Kish" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 15:46:33 -0800, "Remy Lebeau \(TeamB\)"
>< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
>

>>"Jeff Kish" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>>news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>

>>>I was wondering if this was likely a shortcoming in the tlb file and
>>>should I tell the vendor, or is it a problem with the way CBuilder
>>>imported the activeX control and subsequently built the .h/.cpp
>>>interface files?
>>
>>It was BCB's fault. The TLB code is auto-generated by BCB. Which version
>>of BCB are you actually using, and do you have all of the available
>>patches
>>installed for it?
>>

>>Gambit
>>

>Hi Remy.
>Yes, I finally reinstalled cbuilder 6.0 100% and installed all the
>relevant patches (compiler, linker, help etc.. just not the starteam
>or mobile ones).
>
>Same thing.. the file is fairly messed up.
>Is there anything to do besides try to fix manually?
>If not, I can only try. Not sure the best way to figure it out, I mean
>sometimes it is obvious, but a couple have more parameters coming in
>than evidently are used in the failing call.
>
>Thanks
>Jeff Kish

Thanks much.
Sometimes I'm not sure how to fix things, but I'll go from here.
Jeff