How to make something similar to Object Inspector?

2004-05-07 01:15:37 AM
cppbuilder37
Hi,
I am writing a software in which the user can create forms and add buttons, labels etc to it.
I want to allow the user to, say, choose the location where the
button is placed on the form. So, I want to create something similar to Object Inspector where the user can specify/modify simple properties such as height, width, left, top etc. What's a good way to do this? Should I be using TValueListEditor? Some other component?
thanks,
Veebo

Re:How to make something similar to Object Inspector?

"Veebo" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Should I be using TValueListEditor?
Although TValueListEditor will work, it takes a bit of effort to coherce it
into acting like an Object Inspector.
Your best bet would be to just install a third-party inspector. There are
several available, just look around a bit.
Gambit

Re:How to make something similar to Object Inspector?

Do you mean buy a software that acts like Object inspector?
My project is low key, so I can't afford to buy anything? Unless I can find something free.
Do you have any suggestions?
any other way to do this without getting an inspector or using
TValueListEditor?
thanks,
Veebo

Your best bet would be to just install a third-party inspector. There are
several available, just look around a bit.

{smallsort}

Re:How to make something similar to Object Inspector?

"Veebo" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Do you mean buy a software that acts like Object inspector?
Buy, or download. I'm sure there are freeware components floating around
somewhere.
any other way to do this without getting an inspector
or using TValueListEditor?
Not unless you are willing to write it yourself from scratch. Even if you
do use TValueListEditor (or even a multi-column TListView), things like
collapsing/expanding items, values editors, etc. have to be coded manually.
TValueListEditor has a few editors built-in, but you still have to tell it
which editors to use for which items, which values to display/allow, etc.
Gambit

Re:How to make something similar to Object Inspector?

My project is low key, so I can't afford to buy anything? Unless I can
find something free.

Maybe you can try 032InspectorGrid component on the Orpheus package library.
You can download it from sourceforge.
Regards.