Re: Debug problem

2004-10-21 08:02:12 AM
cppbuilder21
If statment is executed and you have a break point there, but de{*word*81} does
not stop there then it's bugged de{*word*81}. I've never had such problem with
BCB, though. Try to substitute statment at break point position with
::MessageBox(...) or something similar to see if you're actually reaching
this point.

Azazello.

Yeah, I can do that. But I need the de{*word*81} to see multiple values. I wonder if anyone else ever experienced with this problem.

Re:Re: Debug problem

So, do you get ::MessageBox(...) executed?

Re:Re: Debug problem

have you actually checked if
Project/Options/Compiler <---FULL DEBUG is switched on????
if not it's not gonna debug anything
"Azazello" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
So, do you get ::MessageBox(...) executed?

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Debug problem

"George" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
have you actually checked if
Project/Options/Compiler <---FULL DEBUG is switched on????
if not it's not gonna debug anything
Thanks Guys. My de{*word*81} works. Play around with all of the debug options actually help.

Re:Re: Debug problem

BJ wrote:

I have set a break point on line in one of my routines. But it doesn't break at that point. I know for sure that statement is executed. Is there something that I need to set in the debug setting?
Just in case, I a still do that mistake by not paying attention....
Lines containing only a declaration, such as:
int myVar;
doesn't generate any executable code and thus cannot have a break-point
set on it. That same line would generate code if it was:
int myVar = 2;
for example.
Like I said, I often do the mistake eventhough I know the fact because I
go too fast and click just about any line in a segment which I want to
inspect without paying attention at what the line I randomly selected is
for.

Re:Re: Debug problem

im trying to debug my app, but it's imposible.... When i add a
breakpoint , it's ignored.
All the bpl are built with the Full Debug option. But only some od
them can be debugged.
Im using BCB 5 with update 1 on a Windows XP machine.
Any help would be apreciated
Thanks a lot!!

Re:Re: Debug problem

Jorge Abalde wrote:
im trying to debug my app, but it's imposible.... When i add a
breakpoint , it's ignored.

All the bpl are built with the Full Debug option. But only some od
them can be debugged.

Im using BCB 5 with update 1 on a Windows XP machine.

Any help would be apreciated

Thanks a lot!!
Make sure you set your breakpoint on a line which is compiled into code.
It is a common error to place a break point on an empty line or on a
like with just a variable declaration (int a; for example). Such lines
do not generate code and cannot be used as a breakpoint.
Hope this helps

Re:Re: Debug problem

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:05:22 -0500, Tom|420 < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote:
Jorge Abalde wrote:

>im trying to debug my app, but it's imposible.... When i add a
>breakpoint , it's ignored.
>
>All the bpl are built with the Full Debug option. But only some od
>them can be debugged.
>
>Im using BCB 5 with update 1 on a Windows XP machine.
>

>Any help would be apreciated
>
>Thanks a lot!!

Make sure you set your breakpoint on a line which is compiled into code.
It is a common error to place a break point on an empty line or on a
like with just a variable declaration (int a; for example). Such lines
do not generate code and cannot be used as a breakpoint.

Hope this helps
Thanks for your answer, but that isn't the problem.....
The breakpoint is on a correct line...
If the breakpoint is set on a code line from some bpls, it works
perfectly, but if it's set on other bpls it's ignored...
Any other suggestion?
Thanks

Re:Re: Debug problem

i´m trying to debug my app, but it's imposible.... When i add a
breakpoint , it's ignored.
Does it show the blue dots?
If not then debug information were not loaded for
this particular package. There seems to be some
maximum amount of debug data (~50MB of tds files)
that the BCB is able to handle.
Our usual approach is to hide tds files of packages
not needed for the debug session. Thanks to version
control system this task is relatively simple.
HTH
Torsten

Re:Re: Debug problem

"Jorge Abalde" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
im trying to debug my app, but it's imposible.... When i add a
breakpoint , it's ignored.

All the bpl are built with the Full Debug option. But only some od
them can be debugged.

Im using BCB 5 with update 1 on a Windows XP machine.
See:
tinyurl.com/6d9hd
tinyurl.com/59quk
- Dennis

Re:Re: Debug problem

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:25:36 +0100, "Torsten Franz"
<FirstName_LastNameatagilentdottcom>wrote:

>im trying to debug my app, but it's imposible.... When i add a
>breakpoint , it's ignored.

Does it show the blue dots?
No

If not then debug information were not loaded for
this particular package. There seems to be some
maximum amount of debug data (~50MB of tds files)
that the BCB is able to handle.
Where can i read more about that limit?

Our usual approach is to hide tds files of packages
not needed for the debug session.
I tried the solution you gave, and i can debug!!! It'a a
miracle!!!
Thanks to version
control system this task is relatively simple.
How can i do it with cvs?

HTH
Torsten
Thanks a lot. You can't imagine how much you have helped me!!!

Re:Re: Debug problem

Hi Jorge,
>If not then debug information were not loaded for
>this particular package. There seems to be some
>maximum amount of debug data (~50MB of tds files)
>that the BCB is able to handle.

Where can i read more about that limit?
I don't think there is much to read about.
We also found it the hard way :-(
>Our usual approach is to hide tds files of packages
>not needed for the debug session.

I tried the solution you gave, and i can debug!!! It'a a
miracle!!!
:-)
>Thanks to version
>control system this task is relatively simple.

How can i do it with cvs?
I've no idea if this would work with CVS, we're
using Rational ClearCase where you can hide files with
a single line in the configuration settings
Ciao
Torsten

Re:Re: Debug problem

I am using BCB6.0 in Full Debug mode with code guard on.
The debug dot in the left margin which marks the active lines of code where
you can place a break point are in the wrong place. They are off-set by one
or two lines. This places a dot next to commented out lines and skips lines
of active code. I tried deleting all the .obj files and the .tds file and
did a build-all but I get the same problem. How can I correct this problem ?
Thanks
Larry

Re:Re: Debug problem

Hi Larry, this is pretty much the same problem that Andrew and I have
been whining about..
SOMEONE HAS TO KNOW A BETTER WAY!!!
See the other posts marked:
"Incremental Link/Compiler problem"
"On Full Build Project Executable is not automatically deleted and
replaced with new"
Here are my workarounds,..
1) Delete the EXE that is built before I hit F9. Doing that allows
the project to be properly built without having to do a full build.
2) Make some changes in the main source code (the main form for
example) and then F9, that usually forces the main form to recompile and
everything else magically not only gets compiled but properly linked in..
HTHs in the meantime.

Re:Re: Debug problem

Thank you. I would not have figured that out.
"Daniel Mayo" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message

Here are my workarounds,..