Borland C++ BDS Delay !!!

2007-01-03 06:37:14 PM
cppbuilder83
Hi all,
I have a problem using my BDS VCL Application. I have a project group
composed by 6 DLLs and a Windows application (It is quite big 500k
lines with 10 forms....). The DLLs projects work well but the win
application have some problems:
- When I lunch the builing there is a terrible delay...
- When I open the project options there is a terrible delay...
- If I try to save all the files of the project there is a delay...
- If I play the application there is a delay...
I have tried to:
- Remove useless package that in someone in the groups suggest me...
(Borland together,star teams, etc...) ->No results
- Use compiler enhancement plugin ->No results
Someone tell me to remove possible invalid network/UNC path...What are
they? When I can remove them?
Please help me!!!
Thanks in advance,
Fabry

Re:Borland C++ BDS Delay !!!

Hi Fabry,
I've seen something similar to this, but it wasn't at all repeatable
for me, and it only occurred once I'd been working in the IDE for a
while (edit/run/edit/run/edit/...)
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
However, I think the problem may be related to these:-
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
The problem can be avoided by only assigning the TMainMenu to your
form's MainMenu property at runtime, rather than within the form
designer.
Another shot in the dark, but it may help.
- Roddy

Re:Borland C++ BDS Delay !!!

<Roddy Pratt>wrote in message news:459bea3f$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Hi Fabry,

I've seen something similar to this, but it wasn't at all repeatable
for me, and it only occurred once I'd been working in the IDE for a
while (edit/run/edit/run/edit/...)

qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

However, I think the problem may be related to these:-

qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

The problem can be avoided by only assigning the TMainMenu to your
form's MainMenu property at runtime, rather than within the form
designer.
It could also be related to this one, which I believe is not fixed, though
it is marked as such:
qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
The problem with this report and the bug that was the impetus for its
submission is that there are no reprodicible steps.
- Dennis

{smallsort}

Re:Borland C++ BDS Delay !!!

Hi Roddy,
thank you for your solution. I will try to test it tomorrow. In your
opinion is it possible that also the immage list and the toolbar can
produce the same problem that you suppose for the TMainMenu?
I'll let you know soon if your solution works...(I hope)
Fabry
On 3 Gen, 18:39, "Roddy Pratt" <>wrote:
Hi Fabry,

I've seen something similar to this, but it wasn't at all repeatable
for me, and it only occurred once I'd been working in the IDE for a
while (edit/run/edit/run/edit/...)

qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

However, I think the problem may be related to these:-

qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx=37152

The problem can be avoided by only assigning the TMainMenu to your
form's MainMenu property at runtime, rather than within the form
designer.

Another shot in the dark, but it may help.

- Roddy

Re:Borland C++ BDS Delay !!!

Dear Roddy,
Unfortuntelly your solution does not solve my problem.... I have
removed the TMainMenu and the TActionList from my project but i have no
significant improvement...(I have also the toolbar and an immage list
on my mainform.. I have to try to remove them?)
This is the main page of my project... Please help me if you have some
ideas...
#include <vcl.h>
#pragma hdrstop
USEFORM("Graphic Forms\Form Main\TMainForm.cpp", MainForm);
USEFORM("Graphic Forms\Form Graph\TFormGraph.cpp", FormGraph);
USEFORM("Graphic Forms\Form OZI\TFormOZI.cpp", FormOZIExplorer);
USEFORM("Graphic Forms\Form Septentrio\TFormSeptentrio.cpp",
FormSeptentrio);
USEFORM("Graphic Forms\Form Setting\TFormSetting.cpp", FormSetting);
USEFORM("Graphic Forms\Form SiRF\TFormSiRF.cpp", FormSiRF);
USEFORM("Graphic Forms\Form SISNeT\TFormSISNeT.cpp", FormSISNeT);
USEFORM("..\Common SourceCode\Configuration\TFrameConfOZI.cpp",
FrameConfOZI);
USEFORM("..\Common SourceCode\Configuration\TFrameConfSeptentrio.cpp",
FrameConfSeptentrio);
USEFORM("..\Common SourceCode\Configuration\TFrameConfSiRF.cpp",
FrameConfSiRF);
USEFORM("..\Common SourceCode\Configuration\TFrameConfSISNeT.cpp",
FrameConfSISNeT);
USEFORM("..\Common SourceCode\Driver CompeGPS\TFrameCompeGPS.cpp",
FrameCompeGPS);
USEFORM("..\Common SourceCode\Driver Database\TFrameDB.cpp", FrameDB);
USEFORM("..\Common SourceCode\Driver
OZIExplorer\TFrameOZIExplorer.cpp", FrameOZIExplorer);
USEFORM("..\Common SourceCode\Driver Septentrio\Frame
Septentrio\TFrameSeptentrio.cpp", FrameSeptentrio);
USEFORM("..\Common SourceCode\Driver SiRF\TFrameSiRF.cpp", FrameSiRF);
USEFORM("..\Common SourceCode\Setting\TFrameSetting.cpp",
FrameSetting);
USEFORM("Graphic Forms\Form Algorithm\TFormAlgorithm.cpp",
FormAlgorithm);
USEFORM("Graphic Forms\Form Configuration\TFormConfiguration.cpp",
FormConfiguration);
USEFORM("Graphic Forms\Form Database\TFormDatabase.cpp", FormDB);
USEFORM("Graphic Forms\Form Dock\TFormCommands.cpp", FormCommands);
USEFORM("Graphic Forms\Form Dock\TFormMessages.cpp", FormMessages);
USEFORM("Graphic Forms\Form Dock\TFormStatus.cpp", FormStatus);
USEFORM("..\Common SourceCode\Driver PVT\TFrameAlgorithm.cpp",
FrameAlgorithm);
USEFORM("..\Common SourceCode\Driver
PVT\TFramePerformance\TFramePerformance.cpp", FramePerformance);
USEFORM("..\Common SourceCode\Driver PVT\TFrameGraph\TFrameGraph.cpp",
FrameGraph);
USEFORM("..\Common SourceCode\Driver SISNeT\TFrameSISNeT.cpp",
FrameSISNeT);
WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE, HINSTANCE, LPSTR, int)
{
try
{
Application->Initialize();
Application->Title = "Algorithm Developer";
Application->CreateForm(__classid(TMainForm), &MainForm);
Application->Run();
}
catch (Exception &exception)
{
Application->ShowException(&exception);
}
catch (...)
{
try
{
throw Exception("");
}
catch (Exception &exception)
{
Application->ShowException(&exception);
}
}
return 0;
}
On 3 Gen, 18:39, "Roddy Pratt" <>wrote:
Hi Fabry,

I've seen something similar to this, but it wasn't at all repeatable
for me, and it only occurred once I'd been working in the IDE for a
while (edit/run/edit/run/edit/...)

qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx

However, I think the problem may be related to these:-

qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx=37152

The problem can be avoided by only assigning the TMainMenu to your
form's MainMenu property at runtime, rather than within the form
designer.

Another shot in the dark, but it may help.

- Roddy

Re:Borland C++ BDS Delay !!!

Guess only - check if any project or included files are on network
drives or other non-local drives.
Fabry wrote:
> [...]

catch (Exception &exception)
{
Application->ShowException(&exception);
}
}
return 0;
}

On 3 Gen, 18:39, "Roddy Pratt" <>wrote:
>Hi Fabry,
>
>I've seen something similar to this, but it wasn't at all repeatable
>for me, and it only occurred once I'd been working in the IDE for a
>while (edit/run/edit/run/edit/...)
>
>qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
>
>However, I think the problem may be related to these:-
>
>qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx=37152
>
>The problem can be avoided by only assigning the TMainMenu to your
>form's MainMenu property at runtime, rather than within the form
>designer.
>
>Another shot in the dark, but it may help.

Re:Borland C++ BDS Delay !!!

Hi ron
I would try to check your guess but I do not know how can I check the
path... In the project option page I have the following paths into the
command lines What do you think I have some network paths?
-D_DEBUG -DUSEPACKAGES;NO_STRICT;_RTLDLL -H=$(BDS)\lib\vcl100.csm -Hc
-vGc -vGd -vGt -w-par -Od -a1 -b- -k -y -v -vi- -tWM -tW -c
-I"F:\MyPrograms\Borland DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware
8.26\Application Algorithm Developer\Graphic Forms\Form
CompeGPS";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware
8.26\Common SourceCode";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Common SourceCode\Driver
PVT\TFrameGraph";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware
8.26\Common SourceCode\Driver
PVT\TFramePerformance";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Common
SourceCode\Utility\Conversion";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Common
SourceCode\Utility\Memory";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Common
SourceCode\Utility\Mathematics";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Common
SourceCode\Setting";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Common
SourceCode\Manager";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Common SourceCode\Driver
SISNeT";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware
8.26\Common SourceCode\Driver SiRF";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Common SourceCode\Driver
Septentrio\Frame Septentrio";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Common SourceCode\Driver
Septentrio";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware
8.26\Common SourceCode\Driver PVT";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Common SourceCode\Driver
OZIExplorer";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware
8.26\Common SourceCode\Driver Database";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Common SourceCode\Driver
CompeGPS";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware
8.26\Common SourceCode\Configuration";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Application Algorithm
Developer\Graphic Forms\Form SISNeT";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Application Algorithm
Developer\Graphic Forms\Form SiRF";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Application Algorithm
Developer\Graphic Forms\Form Setting";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Application Algorithm
Developer\Graphic Forms\Form Septentrio";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Application Algorithm
Developer\Graphic Forms\Form OZI";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Application Algorithm
Developer\Graphic Forms\Form Graph";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Application Algorithm
Developer\Graphic Forms\Form Dock";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Application Algorithm
Developer\Graphic Forms\Form Database";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Application Algorithm
Developer\Graphic Forms\Form Configuration";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Application Algorithm
Developer\Graphic Forms\Form Algorithm";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Application Algorithm
Developer\Graphic Forms\Form Main";"F:\MyPrograms\Borland
DBS2006\NAVSoftware\NAVSoftware 8.26\Application Algorithm
Developer\Program Manager";"c:\program
files\borland\bds\4.0\include";"c:\program
files\borland\bds\4.0\include\dinkumware";"c:\program
files\borland\bds\4.0\include\vcl";"c:\program
files\borland\bds\4.0\Lib\Indy10";"C:\Program
Files\Borland\BDS\4.0\RaveReports\Lib";"c:\program
files\borland\bds\4.0\Include\Indy10";"c:\program
files\borland\bds\4.0\Lib\Indy10" -n..\executable

Fabry wrote:
> [...]
>catch (Exception &exception)
>{
>Application->ShowException(&exception);
>}
>}
>return 0;
>}
>

>On 3 Gen, 18:39, "Roddy Pratt" <>wrote:
>>Hi Fabry,
>>
>>I've seen something similar to this, but it wasn't at all repeatable
>>for me, and it only occurred once I'd been working in the IDE for a
>>while (edit/run/edit/run/edit/...)
>>
>>qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
>>
>>However, I think the problem may be related to these:-
>>
>>qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx=37152
>>
>>The problem can be avoided by only assigning the TMainMenu to your
>>form's MainMenu property at runtime, rather than within the form
>>designer.
>>
>>Another shot in the dark, but it may help.

Re:Borland C++ BDS Delay !!!

Hi all,
I have a the same problem using BDS. I've developed a VCL graphical
application composed by a MDI Form and several MDI Child Forms.
As suggested by someone in Google groups, I create the TMainMenu at
run-time, but I cannot see appreciable improvement in speed. The
problem is that the BDS results drammatically slow for every simple
action: for example, when I try to save files or project group, when I
try to see project options, when I try to compile single file and make
and build the project.
It seems that the BDS makes several useless actions in background, but
it is only a possible idea.
Another possibility: is it possible that the presence of different path
can significantly slow down the project?
Please, could someone help me? Many thanks in advance

ron ha scritto:

> [...]
>>catch (Exception &exception)
>>{
>>Application->ShowException(&exception);
>>}
>>}
>>return 0;
>>}
>>

>>On 3 Gen, 18:39, "Roddy Pratt" <>wrote:
>>>Hi Fabry,
>>>
>>>I've seen something similar to this, but it wasn't at all repeatable
>>>for me, and it only occurred once I'd been working in the IDE for a
>>>while (edit/run/edit/run/edit/...)
>>>
>>>qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
>>>
>>>However, I think the problem may be related to these:-
>>>
>>>qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx=37152
>>>
>>>The problem can be avoided by only assigning the TMainMenu to your
>>>form's MainMenu property at runtime, rather than within the form
>>>designer.
>>>
>>>Another shot in the dark, but it may help.

Re:Borland C++ BDS Delay !!!

Its your system ;-) ... check Windows disk manager to see which drives
are local (rclick My Computer | Manage | Disk Management). Also, rclick
My Computer | Disconnect Network Drive - this will show mapped drives.
From your list below, I would suspect F:
Also, see if you can cut down on the number of include paths (a lot) as
these are bound to slow down dependency checks.
regards,
Ron

ron ha scritto:

> [...]
>>catch (Exception &exception)
>>{
>>Application->ShowException(&exception);
>>}
>>}
>>return 0;
>>}
>>

>>On 3 Gen, 18:39, "Roddy Pratt" <>wrote:
>>>Hi Fabry,
>>>
>>>I've seen something similar to this, but it wasn't at all repeatable
>>>for me, and it only occurred once I'd been working in the IDE for a
>>>while (edit/run/edit/run/edit/...)
>>>
>>>qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx
>>>
>>>However, I think the problem may be related to these:-
>>>
>>>qc.borland.com/wc/qcmain.aspx=37152
>>>
>>>The problem can be avoided by only assigning the TMainMenu to your
>>>form's MainMenu property at runtime, rather than within the form
>>>designer.
>>>
>>>Another shot in the dark, but it may help.

Re:Borland C++ BDS Delay !!!

and:
It may be worth mentioning that IFF your F: drive is not local, then
copying/moving the needed folders to a local drive and changing the
paths in the project settings (compiler and linker) appropriately should
make your life more bearable.

Its your system ;-) ... check Windows disk manager to see which drives
are local (rclick My Computer | Manage | Disk Management). Also, rclick
My Computer | Disconnect Network Drive - this will show mapped drives.

From your list below, I would suspect F:

Fabry wrote:
> [...]
>>>USEFORM("Graphic Forms\Form Dock\TFormMessages.cpp", FormMessages);
>>>USEFORM("Graphic Forms\Form Dock\TFormStatus.cpp", FormStatus);
>>>USEFORM("..\Common SourceCode\Driver PVT\TFrameAlgorithm.cpp",
>>>FrameAlgorithm);
>>>USEFORM("..\Common SourceCode\Driver
>>>PVT\TFramePerformance\TFramePerformance.cpp", FramePerformance);
>>>USEFORM("..\Common SourceCode\Driver PVT\TFrameGraph\TFrameGraph.cpp",
>>>FrameGraph);
>>>USEFORM("..\Common SourceCode\Driver SISNeT\TFrameSISNeT.cpp",
>>>FrameSISNeT);
>>>
>>>WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE, HINSTANCE, LPSTR, int)
>>>{
>>>try
>>>{
>>>Application->Initialize();
>>>Application->Title = "Algorithm Developer";
>>>Application->CreateForm(__classid(TMainForm), &MainForm);

Re:Borland C++ BDS Delay !!!

Hi ron,
thank you very much for your guess! I have removed some paths from my
project and this solution speed up a little bit my project!! However It
cannot so fast as I would.... It takes for example 10-20 seconds to
open the project option or to save all the files in the project...
Have anyone some possible solutions to my problem?
Best Regards,
Fabry