C++ Builder 4, using multiple source directories

2003-07-18 08:53:18 PM
cppbuilder29
I hope this is the right newsgroup.
I am trying to port some OWL code from C++ 5.02 to C++ Builder 4 Pro (Still
with OWL).
I want to split up parts of the code in separate directories, but the there
is 2 problems with that:
1) when I use class explorer I can't jump to the implementation in
sourcefile, it's no problem jumping to declaration in header file.
Ok I can live with it, a bit annoying just. but...
2) C++ Builder do not see that the file has changed for a minute or two
after I saved the files.
it's like this:
appname.cpp
main.cpp
main.h
folder\sourceblah.h
folder\sourceblah.cpp
and I have added sourceblah.cpp to the project.
is there some way to solve this or do i have to keep all sourcefiles in the
same folder. (it's a bit over 100 files)
Hope someone understands what I mean, my english isn't the best.
(upgrade is not an option, OWL don't come with new builder versions.)
hopeful for solution. (to finally be able use this product I bought so many
years ago)
Roger Lindgren

Re:C++ Builder 4, using multiple source directories

1) when I use class explorer I can't jump to the implementation in
sourcefile, it's no problem jumping to declaration in header file.
Try adding your other folder also in Tools|Environment
Options|Library|Browsing Path.
and I have added sourceblah.cpp to the project.
Did you also add your folder to Project|Options|Directories/Conditionals ?
HTH,
Bruce

Re:C++ Builder 4, using multiple source directories

Try adding your other folder also in Tools|Environment
Options|Library|Browsing Path.

No but I had moved everything to mainfolder, and now I tested making the
directory and adding the file again.
guess what, now it seems to work. But if I get trouble again I'll try that
thanks.
Did you also add your folder to Project|Options|Directories/Conditionals ?

no but builder added it there, I actually tried to remove it from include
path, cause I wanted to use #include "folder/source.h" but it just added it
back.. and it also added the library path the folder
then I tried adding it on debug source path, but didn't make any
difference..
(btw I can still use #include "folder/source.h" but it's kinda useless in
case someone says I can, I just wanted a cleaner path in options för
includes.)
well it seems to work now anyway after readding the source to project, so I
guess it was something that went wrong adding it at first.
thanks a lot anyway, have something to try if it happens again.
HTH,
Bruce

{smallsort}

Re:C++ Builder 4, using multiple source directories

There is a known bug with multiple source directories with BCB4. I don't
find that it is encountered unless about 7 or 8 directories are used.
Fraser.