Windows Debugging Tool WinDbg with bcc 5.5 commandlinetools

2004-01-13 01:57:52 AM
cppbuilder85
I would like to use the Windows Debugging Tool WinDbg with bcc 5.5
commandlinetools. The problem is that WinDbg expects to find symbols in .pdb
files, whereas bcc generates .tds file. Is there a way to conver tds to pdb?
Thank you in advance.
DdJ

Re:Windows Debugging Tool WinDbg with bcc 5.5 commandlinetools

I do not know how to convert the symbol tables.
There is another way that you can debug. Go to where you downloaded the C++
Builder 5 command line tools and download Turbo De{*word*81}. It understands
the debug information and is a Windows debugging tool.
. Ed
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

"Ed Mulroy [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I do not know how to convert the symbol tables.

There is another way that you can debug. Go to where you downloaded the
C++
Builder 5 command line tools and download Turbo De{*word*81}. It understands
the debug information and is a Windows debugging tool.

. Ed
I did ED, but I am so used to GUI applications now, that I have serious
problems to use TurboDe{*word*81}. I used it when I was young and I remember it
was a killer application. I am sure that from functional point of view is
still superb, but I have serious usability problems with. Many years ago I
worked on OS/2 and I was used to VisualAge IDE. Any hope to have a renewed
TD for windowing systems?
DdJ

{smallsort}

Re:Windows Debugging Tool WinDbg with bcc 5.5 commandlinetools

The de{*word*81} is built into the IDE. Think of it as the current form of what
was once a standalone Turbo De{*word*81} program.

"Dario de Judicibus" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
"Ed Mulroy [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

I did ED, but I am so used to GUI applications now, that I have
serious problems to use TurboDe{*word*81}. I used it when I was young and
I remember it was a killer application. I am sure that from functional
point of view is still superb, but I have serious usability problems
with. Many years ago I worked on OS/2 and I was used to VisualAge IDE.
Any hope to have a renewed TD for windowing systems?

DdJ

I use to have a similar problem to what you're having. Gotten use to the
nice gui visuals and stuff and using the turbo de{*word*81} just feels kind
of "crude". It does get the job done though crude as it may be.
I did come across one piece of info that might be useful. When I was
trying to get SDL to work with borland's compiler I was emailing Martin
for help. One of the things I asked him about was whether it's possible
to get gdb to support borland's debug symbols. Long story short, he gave
me this link:
codecentral.borland.com/codecentral/ccweb.exe/listing
Perhaps it might be possible to write up a win32 gui debugging
application using this api. This is something I've been wanting to do but
unfortunately I don't know the first thing about programming de{*word*81}s; I
mean where the heck am I suppose to start? Not to mention understanding
other people's code or project code is difficult in itself. Lastly, I'm
not sure what kind of skills and experience are needed to undertake such
an endeavor. For instance, I've used C++ for a good while now but I've
never learned assembly programming. Do I need to know assembly in order
to program a de{*word*81}?
So I decided to stick with the free de{*word*81} instead even though it lacks
a visually pleasing interface.
Not sure if the link above is helpful for you but if you wanna take a
stab at it, be my guest :)

"Vivi Orunitia" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Not sure if the link above is helpful for you but if you wanna take a
stab at it, be my guest :)
Well, Vivi, developing a de{*word*81} which may compete with TD in terms of
functionalities is not only a matter of knowing API's or even assembler:
it's a huge design and development work. It is surely simpler to write a
converter be{*word*249} TDS and PDB files, assuming you know both formats ;-)

"Dario de Judicibus" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in news:40051b14
@newsgroups.borland.com:
"Vivi Orunitia" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
it's a huge design and development work. It is surely simpler to write a
converter be{*word*249} TDS and PDB files, assuming you know both formats ;-)

DdJ

unfortunately, I don't know both formats :p And I've been wanting to make
some kind of integrated de{*word*81} for SciTE, which is a really nice code
editor btw.