FAR *

2005-04-07 07:00:13 PM
cppbuilder96
Hello,
I have a question. Which is the main difference between
char FAR * c1;
and
char * c2;
could I simply mix these pointers in my program or I have to convert it (
how ? )
Boguslaw Fries

Re:FAR *

Boguslaw Fries wrote:
I have a question. Which is the main difference between
char FAR * c1;
and
char * c2;
Nothing. 'FAR' is a remnant from the bad old days of 16 bit
programming. It is usually hidden from the compiler using a macro:
#define FAR
or I have to convert it ( how ? )
There is nothing to convert.
--
Andrue Cope [TeamB]
[Bicester, Uk]

Re:FAR *

"Boguslaw Fries" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Which is the main difference between
char FAR * c1;
and
char * c2;
FAR is a left-over from programming 16-bit programming, back when pointers
could be NEAR or FAR depending on what they were pointing to. FAR and NEAR
have no meaning in 32-bit programming, and as such they are not defined as
anything at all.
Gambit

{smallsort}

Re:FAR *

Hi Gambit,
maybe in the future with 48bit or 64 bit address space. I would suggest a
type like
FAR_FAR_AWAY*
;-)
Best regards
Detlef
www.seatec-gmbh.com

news:425512b9$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

"Detlef" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
maybe in the future with 48bit or 64 bit address space. I would suggest a
type like
FAR_FAR_AWAY*
;-)
<grin>
near and far are, I hope, not likely to make a comeback. But I could be
wrong. I hope I'm not - segmented architectures are just evil.
Alan Bellingham
--
ACCU Conference 2005 - 20-23 April, Randolph Hotel, Oxford, UK