Passive support, soon to be de-support

2004-07-13 02:27:24 AM
cppbuilder107
Here's more fuel for the fire. Choose the following link and go down to C++Builder
https://support.borland.com/support_info/supportedVersions.asp
According to this, C++Builder 6 is already on "passive" support and will not be supported after September 30, 2005.
Kyle

Re:Passive support, soon to be de-support

Kyle Heironimus schrieb:
Here's more fuel for the fire. Choose the following link and go down to C++Builder

https://support.borland.com/support_info/supportedVersions.asp

According to this, C++Builder 6 is already on "passive" support and will not be supported after September 30, 2005.

Kyle
Ha! We're less dead than you!!!
Kylix support is still active!! (I guess they mean the support by
Andreas Hausladen www.kylix-patch.de.vu/ ;-)

Re:Passive support, soon to be de-support

So? InterBase recently extended support for an older version. Those are
initial plans and can change due to market pressures.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build

{smallsort}

Re:Passive support, soon to be de-support

That is technically true. However, take that information with a grain of
salt. In general, Borland technical support (at least the C++ team) tries
not to turn away customers even if they are using an officially unsupported
product version.
Although products like C++Builder 4, C++Builder 5, and even some versions of
Borland C++ and Turbo C++ have not been officially supported for some time,
technical support still does their best to help customers who call in
regarding them. I would expect the same to hold true for C++Builder 6.
-- YH --

"Kyle Heironimus" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
According to this, C++Builder 6 is already on "passive" support and will not be supported after September 30, 2005.
I don't think this means much - it says that CBX is on "Active
Support"...
From the Borland Ultra-Secret Department of True Meanings and Virtual
Road Maps:
De-Supported - Ex-Parrot
Passive Support - Nailed to the perch
Active Support - Pining for the fijords
Jake: This one's for you!

Kyle Heironimus wrote:
Here's more fuel for the fire. Choose the following link and go down
to C++Builder

https://support.borland.com/support_info/supportedVersions.asp

According to this, C++Builder 6 is already on "passive" support and
will not be supported after September 30, 2005.
Actually you are looking at an extension!
When CBX was launched BCB6 went onto passive support, and was due to
end-of-life in November. So we are already looking at a 10 bonus
months!
AlisdairM(TeamB)

Leroy Casterline wrote:
"Kyle Heironimus" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:

>According to this, C++Builder 6 is already on "passive" support and will
>not be supported after September 30, 2005.

I don't think this means much - it says that CBX is on "Active
Support"...

From the Borland Ultra-Secret Department of True Meanings and Virtual
Road Maps:

De-Supported - Ex-Parrot
Passive Support - Nailed to the perch
Active Support - Pining for the fijords

Jake: This one's for you!
Presumably, the open letter's gone to the choir investibule !
:-)

Alisdair Meredith wrote:

Actually you are looking at an extension!
When CBX was launched BCB6 went onto passive support, and was due to
end-of-life in November. So we are already looking at a 10 bonus
months!

Ok but forgetting, active and passive for a moment, where is the
*actual* support? :)
Russell

Re:Passive support, soon to be de-support

"Russell Hind" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote
Ok but forgetting, active and passive for a moment, where is the
*actual* support? :)
Some people are never satisfied. :-) Next you'll be saying that you'd like
an *actual* open letter. I even heard one guy the other day say that he'd
like to see some actual *product*. I 'dunno, the youth of today, when I
were a lad, etc, etc....... :-)
Dave

Re:Passive support, soon to be de-support

For what it's worth, I fired this bit of info. to my manager who shot it to
the Product Manager. Well, like almost everybody else, Support has not been
informed of what's happening in C++. I'm told the current information is
incorrect and that the PM will have it corrected. But I don't know what
they'll correct it to and, most importantly, when.... At the rate things go
here, I'd say no sooner than the promised letter
Regards,
Bruneau.

Re:Passive support, soon to be de-support

Jean-Marie Babet wrote:
At the rate things go here...
Thanks - that made me giggle.
-Brion

theo < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
>https://support.borland.com/support_info/supportedVersions.asp
>According to this, C++Builder 6 is already on "passive" support and
>will not be supported after September 30, 2005.
Ha! We're less dead than you!!!
Kylix support is still active!! (I guess they mean the support by
Andreas Hausladen www.kylix-patch.de.vu/ ;-)
Hmm..
Kylix is undead while BCB is not-alive.
Which one to choose for strategic mission critical enterprise
software infrastructure ?
I know ! Objectvision !

"Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
So? InterBase recently extended support for an older version. Those are
initial plans and can change due to market pressures.
Team B can be relied on to tell us that dead is alive !
All praise Team B !

Leroy Casterline < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
De-Supported - Ex-Parrot
Passive Support - Nailed to the perch
Active Support - Pining for the fijords
Alive and actively marketed - Marketing department are figuring out how to convert it to parrot mode.

john blackburn < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Presumably, the open letter's gone to the choir investibule !
The vicar is having his evil way with Open Letter, the new choir boy.