Wishlist: Symbol Autocorrect Feature

Stole this idea from borland.public.delphi.non-technical newsgroup...
"Please add to D7" from Alan Questell

Maybe a future version of BCB could have this Symbol Autocorrect Feature in
the IDE.  So if I mix the cases of a function or constant or variable, it
would automatically correct it for me.  In Delphi, it's simple to imagine.
But in C++, you can have symbols with same spelling but different cases.
That's okay, those situations can be handled easily.

Using Alan's Example:
unsigned long MyVariable;

// I type this:
myvariable = 1;

// But BCB automatically corrects it to this:
MyVariable = 1;

I'm going to download and try GExperts now.  www.gexperts.org

Re:Wishlist: Symbol Autocorrect Feature

"Lee Grissom" <lgrissom@no_spam_please.com> wrote in message

> Stole this idea from borland.public.delphi.non-technical newsgroup...
> "Please add to D7" from Alan Questell

> Maybe a future version of BCB could have this Symbol Autocorrect Feature
in
> the IDE.  So if I mix the cases of a function or constant or variable, it
> would automatically correct it for me.

Personally speaking, no thanks.  The internal editor is slow enough as it
is.  If anything I'd say concentrate on integrating third-party editors and
dispense with all the function that Borland's already foisted on us.

"Lee Grissom" <lgrissom@no_spam_please.com> writes:
> Stole this idea from borland.public.delphi.non-technical newsgroup...
> "Please add to D7" from Alan Questell

> Maybe a future version of BCB could have this Symbol Autocorrect Feature in
> the IDE.  So if I mix the cases of a function or constant or variable, it
> would automatically correct it for me.  In Delphi, it's simple to imagine.
> But in C++, you can have symbols with same spelling but different cases.
> That's okay, those situations can be handled easily.

I'm not sure that this would be a good idea.  I could see it as being
a huge source of frustration if it thinks you want it one wan but you
really want it another.  Historically, an IDE-is-smarter-than-you
feature tends to be more annoying than useful.

Especially considering that this is only a mistake only beginners
would make.  (Besides, the compiler will point out errors when it
compiles them, allowing you to correct it the RIGHT way.)

It's not so easy.  Consider AnsiString and std::string.  There is a
typedef String for AnsiString, and I could "using std::string"  Now
"string" and "String" are both in the same context.  I could
concievably use the wrong one, should the IDE be able to fix that?

> Using Alan's Example:
> unsigned long MyVariable;

> // I type this:
> myvariable = 1;

> // But BCB automatically corrects it to this:
> MyVariable = 1;

The benefit of this "feature" seems questionable, and the effort is
probably not worth it.  Especially since most people would probably
not want it.  (I'd guess this would slow things down considerably, and
would be rarely useful, if ever.)

> I'm going to download and try GExperts now.  www.gexperts.org

Ok.

--
Chris(TeamB);

Re:Wishlist: Symbol Autocorrect Feature

That's a horrible thing.  I hope they never do it.

.  Ed

Re:Wishlist: Symbol Autocorrect Feature

Well some of you have a good point about slowing down the IDE.  It's already
very slow.  In Delphi, it makes sense...but in BCB, it may be overburdening.
So maybe this feature is something that would be useful down the road a few
years.  Thanks for the feedback.

Other Threads