BCB 4 IDE Exceptions

I'm about to give up :-(((

After changing from BCB3 to BCB4 (Upd #1,#2) programming has become an
nerve-racking adventure.
Several times an hour I receive strange Exception from the IDE. Normally the
IDE terminates after that totaly - so that I have to restart BCB4 or (the
harder way) to close all applications an re-login.

In most cases the "Exception EAccessViolation in modul Vcl40.bpl at xxxxx"
appears - somtime e few hunderet of times. The other Exception is in modul
"borlandnm.dll".

I'm running BCB4 on WinNT 4.0 SP6+hotfix.
Any help appreciated

Thanks
Stefan

Re:BCB 4 IDE Exceptions

: "Stefan" <sros...@iits.de> wrote:
>In most cases the "Exception EAccessViolation in modul Vcl40.bpl at xxxxx"
>appears - somtime e few hunderet of times. The other Exception is in modul
>"borlandnm.dll".

Most probably you have a buggy component somewhere.

--
General information:
    * Do not cross- or multipost

TeamB - http://www.teamb.com/

Re:BCB 4 IDE Exceptions

I'm using IBObjects and InfoPower .... ?

Re:BCB 4 IDE Exceptions

: "Stefan" <sros...@iits.de> wrote:
>I'm using IBObjects and InfoPower .... ?

Yes, sure. Bugs hit everyone.

--
General information:
    * Do not cross- or multipost

TeamB - http://www.teamb.com/

Re:BCB 4 IDE Exceptions

in most cases the IDE crashes when pressing Ctrl+S or clicking the "Save"
Button(s) - what has that to do with components ?

Re:BCB 4 IDE Exceptions

: "Stefan" <sros...@iits.de> wrote:
>in most cases the IDE crashes when pressing Ctrl+S or clicking the "Save"
>Button(s) - what has that to do with components ?

The streaming code is buggy.

--
General information:
    * Do not cross- or multipost

TeamB - http://www.teamb.com/

Re:BCB 4 IDE Exceptions

BCB4 crashes even without any "third-party components". I blame code
insight and after I turned all options off IDE became more stable. But I
believe there is something from code insight still working in background
or maybe after each keystoroke.

Sincerely,
  Alexey Solofnenko.

Re:BCB 4 IDE Exceptions

: "Alexey N. Solofnenko" <trel...@value.net> wrote:

>I blame code insight and after I turned all options off IDE
>became more stable.

What makes you think that?

>I believe there is something from code insight still working
>in background or maybe after each keystoroke.

Code Explorer?

--
General information:
    * Do not cross- or multipost

TeamB - http://www.teamb.com/

Re:BCB 4 IDE Exceptions

Hello Stefan,

  I found that if keep pressed down arrow button for some time just to
move a cursor and something bad happens - exception, new edit window
opens, and very rare IDE hangs. Sometimes it happens when I move a mouse
at the "wrong" time. It looks like some background processing is not
finished when new event arrives.

  I blamed code explorer for some time and even deleted it from a
registry. It did not help. So there is a new target to blame - code
insight. After I disabled it I can move my mouse freely without any
problems. I have a big project (47 projects in a project group) with a
lot of templates. Precompiled headers are optimised as it is described
somewhere on internet. Nothing helps. After the last changes BCB became
almost unusable, but disabling code insight helped. Code insight seemed
not working anyway.

Sincerely,
  Alexey Solofnenko.

Re:BCB 4 IDE Exceptions

"Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)" wrote:
> >In most cases the "Exception EAccessViolation in modul Vcl40.bpl at xxxxx"
> >appears - somtime e few hunderet of times. The other Exception is in modul
> >"borlandnm.dll".

> Are you over-clocking your CPU or running "lower quality" hardware in your
> computer?  I know I had experienced similar problems to yours when I was
> running on a cheap clone motherboard.  Once I replaced the system board
> with a good quality one,  all of my problems went away...

[snip]

Don't shift the blame on the hardware. I get the same errors 20 times a day using

NT SP5 and BCB4 SP2 on a VERY stable SMP PentiumII System.
I actually think, INPRISE has buggy software.

kind regards

Stefan Nesselhauf

Re:BCB 4 IDE Exceptions

: Stefan Nesselhauf <ste...@nesselhauf.de> wrote:

>Don't shift the blame on the hardware.

Stefan, it was just Jerry's own experience with faulty hardware that made
him suggest looking into the hardware.

>NT SP5 and BCB4 SP2 on a VERY stable SMP PentiumII System.

Does changing the affinity of the process help?

--
General information:
    * Do not cross- or multipost

TeamB - http://www.teamb.com/

Re:BCB 4 IDE Exceptions

"Stefan Hoffmeister (TeamB)" wrote:
> : Stefan Nesselhauf <ste...@nesselhauf.de> wrote:

> >Don't shift the blame on the hardware.

> Stefan, it was just Jerry's own experience with faulty hardware that made
> him suggest looking into the hardware.

> >NT SP5 and BCB4 SP2 on a VERY stable SMP PentiumII System.

> Does changing the affinity of the process help?

:-) Of course, faulty hardware <might> always be a problem, esp. in this
context.
But I don't think this is an issue of the environment (like hardware or
processes)
....except for that I suspect some *dll problem.

Stefan, do you know of any "inofficial" dll-updates not listed on the
devsupport-site ?

gruesse

Stefan Nesselhauf
http://www.nesselhauf.de

> Stefan Hoffmeister - http://www.econos.de/
> TeamB - http://www.teamb.com/

Re:BCB 4 IDE Exceptions

: Stefan Nesselhauf <ste...@nesselhauf.de> wrote:

>Stefan, do you know of any "inofficial" dll-updates not listed on the
>devsupport-site ?

Contact Borland. I have never seen an "inofficial" DLL update, so I don't
know what you are hinting at.

--
General information:
    * Do not cross- or multipost

TeamB - http://www.teamb.com/

Re:BCB 4 IDE Exceptions

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000 18:49:50 +0100, Stefan Nesselhauf

<ste...@nesselhauf.de> wrote:
>Don't shift the blame on the hardware. I get the same errors 20 times a day using

>NT SP5 and BCB4 SP2 on a VERY stable SMP PentiumII System.
>I actually think, INPRISE has buggy software.

You are right,  the problem could also be the multi-processor NT kernel...
I have seen at least one NT4 Server which had a large number of problems
with the OS due to multi-processor bugs in NT.  Most of these are corrected
in NT4 SP5,  but not all of them yet...  That server (a Compaq server)
still blue-screen's NT about once every 2-3 weeks,  and the fault is in the
NT kernel each time...  Have you seen the list of bugs fixed in the later
NT service packs? Perhaps the problem you are experiencing is corrected by
a later OS patch?

It is possible that Borland has some bugs in their product which could
cause the problems you describe.  Consider that right now,  everyone else
reporting this type of symptom seems to have discovered faulty hardware
and/or poorly written device drivers for their hardware to be the cause of
their problems.  It is possible that you have a configuration which is
unique enough that o one else has the same configuration/utilization to
have experienced this "bug" that you have found.  It is also possible that
the "bug" is really not in the Borland compiler,  but in something else,
and is only exercised by the Borland compiler...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
Jerry Bloomfield                                     JersW...@wwa.com
Proud Member of Borland's TeamB