Program runs on development PC, not on user's PC

I've got a strange and frustrating problem.  I finished testing my
application on my PC and installed it on a user's PC, but when I try to
run it, it crashes on startup.  I've tried running the app on my PC
outside of my development environment and it still works.  I tried
running it on a fellow developer's PC and it works there, too.  I then
tried to run it on another user's PC, and there again it crashed on
startup.

So the common ground is this:
My app runs fine on PC's that have BCB3 installed on them.
It crashes on PC's that don't.

Why?

Here's some info that might be useful.
I'm running the CS version of BCB3 and I have installed the patch.
I'm running version 4.5 of the BDE (and yes, it is installed on all of
the PC's I tested).
I'm using the dynamic RTL (and I distributed cp3240mt.dll and
borlndmm.dll with my exe).
I am NOT building my app with runtime packages.
I'm linking in the debug libraries.
All PC's that were tested are running Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack
3.

Any help/suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Matt Smith
Software Engineer
Acxiom Corporation

Re:Program runs on development PC, not on user's PC

On Tue, 01 Sep 1998 14:55:11 -0500, "Matthew K. Smith"

<mjsm...@mail.cswnet.com> wrote:
>I've got a strange and frustrating problem.  I finished testing my
>application on my PC and installed it on a user's PC, but when I try to
>run it, it crashes on startup.  I've tried running the app on my PC
>outside of my development environment and it still works.  I tried
>running it on a fellow developer's PC and it works there, too.  I then
>tried to run it on another user's PC, and there again it crashed on
>startup.

>So the common ground is this:
>My app runs fine on PC's that have BCB3 installed on them.
>It crashes on PC's that don't.

>Why?

>Here's some info that might be useful.
>I'm running the CS version of BCB3 and I have installed the patch.
>I'm running version 4.5 of the BDE (and yes, it is installed on all of
>the PC's I tested).
>I'm using the dynamic RTL (and I distributed cp3240mt.dll and
>borlndmm.dll with my exe).
>I am NOT building my app with runtime packages.
>I'm linking in the debug libraries.
>All PC's that were tested are running Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack
>3.

On the NT4 Sp3 stuff, you have to be careful with these things:
if someone installs a software, especially an old part of Window
that was not installed at first, it is necessary to reinstall SP3,
even if NT says it is patched at level SP3. It is not a
warranty that all Pc's software are identical.
The hardware may be important as well: some graphic
cards are said to be problematic. Why not install
Bcb on the customer's hard disk to try if it fix the
problem ?
HTH
Gerard

Other Threads