Installsheild Express Problem

I've built an install program for my app. which includes installing the
borland DB engine, all of which works ("builds") fine.  When the app. is
installed on a {*word*269} machine, the BDE fails during installation with the
message "failed to merge <path>\idapi.cnf", and the BDE will not initialize
after that.  The only thing I can think of,  is that I've upgraded my BDE to
version 5 from version 3, can Installshield Express  handle that ?

I'm using :

BCB 3.0, upgraded BDE to 5.0 from 3.x

Installshield Express (shipped with BCB 3.0)

Any help would greatly be appreciated, thanks in advance.

tom.

Re:Installsheild Express Problem

Tom,

I don't know how familiar you are with InstallShield, but my first step
would be to ensure that you have included the newest version of that .cnf
file in the groups section of the setup checklist.  If that file is not
being installed or is not the correct version, you will receive an error
message.

Hope that helps.

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999 07:49:41 -0400, "ca,ppp,lewer" <le...@netcom.ca> wrote:
>I've built an install program for my app. which includes installing the
>borland DB engine, all of which works ("builds") fine.  When the app. is
>installed on a {*word*269} machine, the BDE fails during installation with the
>message "failed to merge <path>\idapi.cnf", and the BDE will not initialize
>after that.  The only thing I can think of,  is that I've upgraded my BDE to
>version 5 from version 3, can Installshield Express  handle that ?

Yes,  this is a known issue.  There are several ways to work around this
problem with the "free" custom edition of ISX which you got with your copy
of Builder.  First,  you could buy the full professional package (for about
$250 US).  Second,  you could search the archives of this newsgroup and of
the database newsgroups,  as this has been discussed,  and a web link for
an unsupported patch has been posted.  Third,  you can visit the Borland
BDE Developer's Support web pages and find the FAQ which mentions this
exact problem and follow the instructions it gives for resolving the
problem.

Basically what has happened is the required files for the BDE changed from
v4.5x to v5.0x so the installation instructions for your BDE v4.51 will not
properly install the BDE v5.0x BDE...

Jerry Bloomfield (TeamB)
--
Jerry Bloomfield                                     JersW...@wwa.com