Re: Catching assertions in a DLL

2008-01-17 05:52:49 AM
cppbuilder60
"Chris Uzdavinis (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
"Dan" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:

>Yep, the library doesn't really check if the file is even of the
>right format, it just assumes it is and procedes to try and read it.
>Of course it has some basic error handling such as missing a ";" but
>that's about it. If I fed it a file with a few lines taken out the
>library hits an assume and explodes. I'm implementing error codes
>so that I can at least tell when an error has been thrown how to
>handle it, and will try to replace some of the asserts with
>exceptions. Sigh.

I'm a bit skeptical about the overall library, if that's how basic
file errors are handled. IOW, don't bet your company or reputation on
it it. Design flaws like this tend to be good hints about what else
is to come. :(

But who knows, maybe it's otherwise fantastic.

--
Chris (TeamB);
Well, I'm not too thrilled with it but I've invested too much time to s{*word*99}

Re:Re: Catching assertions in a DLL

"Dan" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Well, I'm not too thrilled with it but I've invested too much time to
s{*word*99} it and write it all in Delphi (what the main program is in,
which calls the DLL which uses the library). Also my boss was the one
that told me to add in the ability using this library, although the
biggest problem is that there just aren't any other libraries out
there to read NeXus files, in any language that I can access from
Delphi. At least, none that I have found.
But you do have access to the source? Is it open source, or
proprietary? If it's open, perhaps it can be left in a better state
than you found it.... if proprietary, sorry. :(
--
Chris (TeamB);

"Dan" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:

>Well, I'm not too thrilled with it but I've invested too much time to
>s{*word*99} it and write it all in Delphi (what the main program is in,
>which calls the DLL which uses the library). Also my boss was the one
>that told me to add in the ability using this library, although the
>biggest problem is that there just aren't any other libraries out
>there to read NeXus files, in any language that I can access from
>Delphi. At least, none that I have found.

But you do have access to the source? Is it open source, or
proprietary? If it's open, perhaps it can be left in a better state
than you found it.... if proprietary, sorry. :(

--
Chris (TeamB);
It's opensource in that you can get the source, but there's really only one
guy working on it. But yeah, you can bet that I'm going to submit a lot of
changes to the code when this is all over.

{smallsort}

"Dan" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
It's opensource in that you can get the source, but there's really
only one guy working on it. But yeah, you can bet that I'm going to
submit a lot of changes to the code when this is all over.
Well that's good news. You might get in contact with the author early
on to see how receptive to patches (s)he is. Some authors can be very
guarded... others are thrilled to get some help.
--
Chris (TeamB);