component to open ASCII stock data files

2005-03-19 10:06:22 AM
cppbuilder70
I have a program that reads in stock market data files which are in simple
ASCII format. The code I use now generates errors if there is anything at
all wrong with the data file such as a missing volume or open interest
number. I want to replace the code I have with something stable. I am
looking for a component or dll that will read a ASCII stock data file and is
stable. It must be able to handle a wide variety of file problems. The data
files can have a wide variety of Date and Time values and column
arrangements. Has anyone seen something like this.
Thanks
Larry.

Re:component to open ASCII stock data files

"LarryJ" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
I have a program that reads in stock market data files which are in
simple ASCII format. The code I use now generates errors if there is
anything at all wrong with the data file such as a missing volume or
open interest number. I want to replace the code I have with
something stable. I am looking for a component or dll that will
read a ASCII stock data file and is stable. It must be able to
handle a wide variety of file problems. The data files can have a
wide variety of Date and Time values and column arrangements. Has
anyone seen something like this.
I have absolutely never read a "stock market data file" (whatever that
is); but I have had to deal with unreliable input files. And this is
not what you are asking for, but here's a possible way how to deal
with this problem:
Use a scripting language (Tcl, Perl, ...) to transform these input
files into "clean" input files that you then treat in your
application. Treat the clean input files with your application.
Scripting languages are very versatile when it comes to manipulating
text. A script is also more easily enhanced once a new problem with an
input file surfaces. And it's easy to create a bunch of test cases to
avoid regressions.
Since the task we are talking about sounds I/O bound performance-wise,
a compiled language isn't necessarily more performant, even for large
files.