Re: BCB6: Include Packages?

2006-03-21 10:26:42 PM
cppbuilder28
"poojo hackma" <poojo.com/mail>wrote:
This is taking forever! I've got a project that I developed during my spare
time at work, and I do *not* want to include all of the runtime libraries in
the executable. This application has an update utility, and I do not want
my users to have to download all the runtime libraries every time an update
is detected.

How do I tell what files need to be included with my setup file? There is
no test PC at work for me to test on, so I have to carry a copy of my
program home every night, test it on my PC, realize another file is missing,
write that down, and include that the next day. This takes a really long
time!

This time, rtl60.bpl was missing, and I can't seem to find that on my PC!
The closest I found was RTL60.DMP in the Lib\Release folder.

Is there some secret handshake required to figure this out?

You need to uncheck Project, Options, Packages, Build with
Runtime Packages,
and uncheck Project, Options, Linker, Use Dynamic RTL
Ira

Re:Re: BCB6: Include Packages?

[...]

I know how to do this. What I want is to "Build with Runtime Packages" and
"Use Dynamic RTL."
I will include all of the necessary files in my initial setup file, then
only include the raw executable in my updates. In this way, my updates will
be smaller files because all of the packages and RTL files will already be
installed on the PC that uses the application.
Does this make sense? Is this possible?

{smallsort}

Re:Re: BCB6: Include Packages?

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:51:23 -0600, poojo hackma wrote:
Does this make sense? Is this possible?
Yes it's possible. You will need to use a setup program. Try
InnoSetup. It's free and not especially difficult to use.
www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
--
liz

Re:Re: BCB6: Include Packages?

Yes it's possible. You will need to use a setup program. Try
InnoSetup. It's free and not especially difficult to use.

www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
--
liz
I use InnoSetup, and it's great!
But is there a way to tell which files are required by a project?
My current technique is slow: I create a setup file, go home after work,
install it on a Borland-free PC, and execute the application. I'll get 1
message telling me that a file is missing, which I include in InnoSetup the
next day and start over.

Re:Re: BCB6: Include Packages?

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 10:07:34 -0600, poojo hackma wrote:
But is there a way to tell which files are required by a project?
The butchered installshield that came with some versions of the
comiler did that.
Did you check InnoSetup's newsgroups? I ask because that's
undoubtedly been asked and answered there
--
liz