Re: one last thing

2003-08-15 11:06:29 PM
cppbuilder21
In my reply to your last question I told you that you have the command line
tools from C++ Builder but you were posting in the install group for the old
Borland C++ compiler. Please post installation questions for C++ Builder in
the C++ Builder installation group
borland.public.install.cppbuilder
As you can see in the compiler's README.TXT file the configuration file
option begins with a dash. The line you show does not begin with a dash.
. Ed
Ryan Sprute wrote in message
news:3f3c5eba$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
hey i have done everything right but when i try to compile the
program to create an executable (type bcc32 hello.cpp) i get

"Borland C++ 5.5.1 for Win32 Copyright (c) 1993, 2000 Borland
Error E2075: Incorrect configuration file option:
lc:\borland\bcc55\include"

where did i go wrong?

Re:Re: one last thing

ok thanks that what I am figure but I need your advice about
displaying the item description from the lookup table if I
defined a lookup field on the TIBDataSet I find a very slow
performance when save data of even open the form containe
the lookup field so what to do to display the description
instantly after the user search or is there a some type of
configuration for lookup field to make it faster
thanks alot
"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
If the lookup table is changing frequently the only way to do a lookup
is have the user enter some selection criteria and do a SELECT on the
lookup table each time the user needs to look at the records. Since no
user wants to browse through as much as a 1,000 records the selection
criteria must be enough to return a reasonable sized result set.
Assuming you have the database cached large enough the entire table
will be in the cache after a few users have done lookups and the SELECT
will be very fast assuming the proper index is in place.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Re: one last thing

I don't think I understand the problem. If the user clicks a button, or
whatever, and you pop up a form where the user enters some selection
criteria and gets the rows from the lookup table that match that
criteria. When the user selects the row he/she wants the user will be
looking at the description. Once you post the new record in the data
entry form you can rerun that query to get the discription to show
there. I am assuming that the form that displays the data uses a view
to join to the lookup tables and get the descriptions for the codes.
As you are discovering, lookup tables are more difficult to deal with
when they are large and change frequently.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

{smallsort}

Re:Re: one last thing

I use cached updates so the user first choose the items and
change quantity (for ex) then when he finish select all the
items in invoice he press save to commit all the changes
so before he press the save button if I use join the
description did appear until I commit the changes
how I let the user see what he select (before commit) instead
of just see the codes of those items (I really tried join
and the description field did not fetch until I commit all
the records) ????
thanks
"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
I don't think I understand the problem. If the user clicks a button, or
whatever, and you pop up a form where the user enters some selection
criteria and gets the rows from the lookup table that match that
criteria. When the user selects the row he/she wants the user will be
looking at the description. Once you post the new record in the data
entry form you can rerun that query to get the discription to show
there. I am assuming that the form that displays the data uses a view
to join to the lookup tables and get the descriptions for the codes.

As you are discovering, lookup tables are more difficult to deal with
when they are large and change frequently.

--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Re: one last thing

My only other suggestion is to use a calculated field and SELECT the
discription in the OnCalcFields event.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)

Re:Re: one last thing

ok I will try that
if you are online I like to chat with and exchange experience
my email XXXX@XXXXX.COM

"isaac" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
ok I will try that
if you are online I like to chat with and exchange experience
my email XXXX@XXXXX.COM
As far as I know, TeamBers are forbidden from individual contact via
email from people who use these forums.
If you have a question, post it here and we'll all learn from the
answer(s).
Paul...
"Bill Todd" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote:
--
plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__
XP Pro, SP 2,

Re:Re: one last thing

Paul wrote:
As far as I know, TeamBers are forbidden from individual contact via
email from people who use these forums.
Not forbidden; we just prefer not to for this reason:
If you have a question, post it here and we'll all learn from the
answer(s).
How to ask questions the smart way:

Re:Re: one last thing

As Paul and Craig said, post your questions here so everyone benefits.
--
Bill Todd (TeamB)