Upgrading from BCB 5 to BDS 2006

2007-02-15 10:09:54 PM
cppbuilder25
Hi,
We suspect that having the BCB 5 version and the BDS2006 both installed at
the same time is creating some problems when trying to convert to BDS2006 so
we are going to remove Builder version 5 from our developement computers and
just leave BDS 2006 on them.
Will any registry or directory entries etc. be left around after removing
the BCB 5 compiler that would need to be cleaned up manually?
Larry

Re:Upgrading from BCB 5 to BDS 2006

We suspect that having the BCB 5 version and the BDS2006 both installed at
the same time is creating some problems when trying to convert to BDS2006 so
They should coexist just fine. BCB6 and BDS do on my machine.
The one point to focus on would be the Windows PATH if, and only
if, you use packages/dll's of the same name in both IDEs. i.e.
Either IDE will load the first SomeDll.dll and/or SomePack.bpl
found on the PATH. That is why using suffix's like MyPack100.bpl
is a good idea. If the BDS IDE finds and loads a SomePack.dll
that was built with a different version the error is odd, making
it sound the rtl100.bpl itself is at fault.
Will any registry or directory entries etc. be left around after removing
the BCB 5 compiler that would need to be cleaned up manually?
No, no registry remnants. The uninstall will leave any
"user" file under the CBuilder directory. This is any
file created, patched, or touched post-install.
--Craig

Re:Upgrading from BCB 5 to BDS 2006

They should coexist just fine. BCB6 and BDS do on my machine.
I'd add another point: intermediates should be deleted.
Do not depend on "Build All". For example, you could
have a #pragma link of an .obj or .lib. Make or build
know nothing about #pragma linked files. Also, it could
be possible your projects reference old paths so e.g. it
could be using VCL50.csm from BCB5's LIB directory. Even
so, if you deleted all .obj, .il?, .#??, .csm, .tds,
then the new build in BDS should work just fine.
--Craig

{smallsort}

Re:Upgrading from BCB 5 to BDS 2006

I'd add another point: intermediates should be deleted.
One more point :-)
STL
STL has changed quite a bit and I think the
errors seen when mixing and mismatching STL's
are not very helpful. If you use STL I suggest
creating a new project that similarly uses STL
and note the changes in paths and defines, e.g.
there was a _USE_OLD_RW_STL define I think in BCB5
which I don't think is possible in BDS.
--Craig

Re:Upgrading from BCB 5 to BDS 2006

Hi Craig,
When I removed BCB 5, BDS2006 asked for the install CDRoms again. I guess
the Uninstall of BCB 5 must have removed stuff that both BCB5 and BDS2006
used.
Larry