Borland NGs being down

2003-09-27 08:43:56 PM
cppbuilder68
Anyone know what happened to Borland over the last 4 days as far as the NGs
are concerned ? I haven't heard a whisper about CBuilderX in the BCB NGs
since the NG server has come back up, not that I have heard much of anything
on these NGs since then.

Re:Borland NGs being down

"Edward Diener" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
Anyone know what happened to Borland over the last 4 days as far as the NGs
are concerned ?
The news server was down. The problem was an accumulation of
- hardware failure
- software failure
- absence of the relevant person(s) from work

Re:Borland NGs being down

Thomas Maeder [TeamB] wrote:
"Edward Diener" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:

>Anyone know what happened to Borland over the last 4 days as far as
>the NGs are concerned ?

The news server was down. The problem was an accumulation of
- hardware failure
- software failure
- absence of the relevant person(s) from work
I think there are still problems with the server. When I attempted to view
this NG in OE, after sending my post, I did not see my message nor the
preceding one for 9/27. I then removed my account for Borland's news server
and created it again. Now I can see these few latest messages.
When I do Newsgroups | Reset List from OE I get NGs for this server starting
with alt. which have nothing to do with Borland. This may be an OE bug but
some of those alt. names are definitely bad press for Borland so maybe they
should really look into it if those NGs really exist on this server.

{smallsort}

Re:Borland NGs being down

I think there are still problems with the server. When I attempted to view
this NG in OE, after sending my post, I did not see my message nor the
preceding one for 9/27. I then removed my account for Borland's news server
and created it again.
I had to do the same thing in Thunderbird, FWIW.
h^2

Re:Borland NGs being down

Edward Diener wrote:
I think there are still problems with the server. When I attempted to
view this NG in OE, after sending my post, I did not see my message nor
the preceding one for 9/27.
Messages had to be renumbered. Most newsreaders remember the highest
downloaded number, and now this may well be far above the number of the
new message, so the newsreader doesn't recognize the new message (with
the low number) as such. So often you'll have to reset the newsgroup(s)
to read all messages again.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"Don't stay in bed, unless you can make money in bed."

Re:Borland NGs being down

>I think there are still problems with the server. When I attempted to
>view this NG in OE, after sending my post, I did not see my message nor
>the preceding one for 9/27.

Messages had to be renumbered. Most newsreaders remember the highest
downloaded number, and now this may well be far above the number of the
new message, so the newsreader doesn't recognize the new message (with
the low number) as such. So often you'll have to reset the newsgroup(s)
to read all messages again.
I was connected via 'forums.inprise.com' that does not seem
to have been restored, so I have only just found that the
lists are back up, and have now lost all my history.
It's probably not a problem now, but IS there an archive?
I still much prefer eMail lists, at least you can archive
easily what you want :)
------------
Lester Caine
-----------------------------
L.S.Caine Electronic Services

Re:Borland NGs being down

Lester Caine wrote:
I was connected via 'forums.<i-word>.com' that does not seem to have
been restored, so I have only just found that the lists are back up,
and have now lost all my history.
Yes, your history is gone.
forums.<i-word>.com and forums.borland.com map(ped) to the same server as
newsgroups.borland.com, but it may be a different IP now (it seems the
SWEN virus has a large list of servers, and Borland's 207.105.83.65 was
on it).
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"We are not retreating - we are advancing in another Direction."

Re:Borland NGs being down

In borland.public.cppbuilder.non-technical, Edward Diener
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
When I do Newsgroups | Reset List from OE I get NGs for this server starting
with alt. which have nothing to do with Borland. This may be an OE bug but
some of those alt. names are definitely bad press for Borland so maybe they
should really look into it if those NGs really exist on this server.
That is a bug in OE. Near as I can tell, it happens once in a blue moon and
seems to be related to the fact that OE saves newsgroups by name. It happened
to me after I had opened up some of the Borland newsgroups from usenet
instead of the Borland server. Suddenly when I looked at the newsgroups for
the Borland server it was showing me newsgroups from the other usenet server.
I don't remember exactly what I did to fix it, but I think I went and deleted
and then readded the usenet server account in OE, making
sure to erase the newsgroup named dbx files.
Don't worry. In a few months, the calvary will arrive.
--
***Free Your Mind***

Re:Borland NGs being down

"Place your name here" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
In borland.public.cppbuilder.non-technical, Edward Diener
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
Don't worry. In a few months, the calvary will arrive.

Uh....I think you meant, "cavalry"!
- Dennis

Re:Borland NGs being down

In borland.public.cppbuilder.non-technical, Dennis Jones < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >
wrote in message <3f77a528$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
>Don't worry. In a few months, the calvary will arrive.

Uh....I think you meant, "cavalry"!
Indeed. Intending to refer to mounted troops coming to the rescue, I
accidentally prophesied a crucifixion. Ironic.
--
***Free Your Mind***

Re:Borland NGs being down

Edward Diener wrote:
When I do Newsgroups | Reset List from OE I get NGs for this server
starting with alt. which have nothing to do with Borland.
Indeed. They should be removed ASAP. This is NOT a MSOE glitch, they
really somehow sneaked their way in.
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"He would make a lovely corpse."

Re:Borland NGs being down

Captain Jake wrote:
In borland.public.cppbuilder.non-technical, Dennis Jones
< XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
<3f77a528$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM >...
>>Don't worry. In a few months, the calvary will arrive.
>>

>Uh....I think you meant, "cavalry"!

Indeed. Intending to refer to mounted troops coming to the rescue, I
accidentally prophesied a crucifixion. Ironic.
Actually, you only prophesied a mountain outside of Jerusalem. <vbg>
--
Rudy Velthuis (TeamB)
"If you give a man a fish, he will eat for today. If you teach him to