Re: Open Letter concerning the VCL

2004-03-05 06:36:57 AM
cppbuilder65
Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:

"Randall Parker" wrote in

>I predict that BCBX v2.0 will effectively be the next
>open letter. Borland isn't going to say squat.

Noone can comment on that until it is actually announced.

>I also give less than 50:50 chances that BCBX v2.0 will
>support VCL with a forms designer.

Noone can comment on that until it is actually announced.

>The question in my mind is when will BCBX v2.0 be
>released? My guess is April.

Noone can comment on that until it is actually announced.

Gambit
Thats not very helpful Remy...
But as another poster said 'can' should be changed to 'will'. Borland could
come out and explain all they want, but as we all know by now, Borland (much
to the annoyance of many of their customers) choose to say nothing.
--
Vesty.

Re:Re: Open Letter concerning the VCL

"Sten Larsson" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
news:40479f00$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Noone can comment on that until it is actually announced.
>Noone can comment on that until it is actually announced.
>Noone can comment on that until it is actually announced.

Most people can comment, while you may not be allowed to. Everyone
without an NDA can comment.

So, what are you trying to say? What is your contribution with this
post?
He meant nobody who has _credible_ information can comment. The
contribution is obvious--until it's actually announced, anything you
read here is speculation.
While I really appreciate your and other TeamB members
contributions, I really can't understand some of your posts related
to open letters and related issues. You are so defensive about
Borland, when it seems to me that they are clearly at fault. I just
cannot understand... oh well... maybe it is just me.
I do not read Remy's post as being defensive in any way. What did I
miss?
--
Chris (TeamB);

Chris Uzdavinis (TeamB) wrote:
He meant nobody who has _credible_ information can comment. The
contribution is obvious--until it's actually announced, anything you
read here is speculation.
There are people in Borland who have credible information who could comment. They
choose not to. We are ignorant of what Borland's plans are because, having weighed
all the factors, Borland's top management has decided they want it that way.

{smallsort}

Re:Re: Open Letter concerning the VCL

"Randall Parker" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
message news:4047a63a$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
Borland comments on the future of Delphi.
That is because they make public announcements. Until they make public
announcements for CBX, noone can say anything about anything.
Gambit

message news:4047bd39$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
There are people in Borland who have credible
information who could comment. They choose not to.
No, they are not allowed to comment. They do not have a choice. Everyone
at Borland and TeamB are under NDA and thus forbidden from making definate
comments until the legal department gives the go-ahead for publicizing
information.
Gambit

Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:
"Randall Parker" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
message news:4047bd39$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>There are people in Borland who have credible
>information who could comment. They choose not to.

No, they are not allowed to comment. They do not have a choice. Everyone
at Borland and TeamB are under NDA and thus forbidden from making definate
comments until the legal department gives the go-ahead for publicizing
information.
Haha... Everyone at Borland is under an NDA? Everyone?! And who's the
presiding authority over these NDAs?
Obviously SOMEONE at Borland has the authority to decide who's allowed to
say what and when. Or maybe thats the problem... They've all signed an NDA
and noones left with the authority to override the NDA's <g>. Maybe thats
why we don't hear anything?
--

Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:
"Randall Parker" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
message news:4047a63a$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>Borland comments on the future of Delphi.

That is because they make public announcements. Until they make public
announcements for CBX, noone can say anything about anything.
And so why don't they make public announcements? I mean, these are excuses.

Gambit

Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote:
No, they are not allowed to comment. They do not have a choice. Everyone
at Borland and TeamB are under NDA and thus forbidden from making definate
comments until the legal department gives the go-ahead for publicizing
information.
Who is the boss of the legal department? The CEO of the company. Who sets the rules?
The CEO.
Why have we heard stuff about .NET support many months before it is available while
we haven't heard stuff about the Win32 VCL support? Can't blame the SEC for that one.
The authority clearly lies within Borland. The reason for our being kept in the dark
is a decision made within Borland.
Gambit

Re:Re: Open Letter concerning the VCL

There is no such thing as "override the NDA". Borland people say what
currently internal information may now be mentioned in public. That makes
the information in question no longer part of what is covered by the NDA.
It does not "override" an agreement.
Everyone on TeamB is covered by one or more Non Disclosure Agreements.
Information internal to Borland not cleared for public consumption is
covered by those agreements. Borland employees also have active
non-disclosure agreements with the company. The provisions of those
agreements are similar to those and sometimes the same as in the agreements
used with TeamB.
If you work for a company in a capacity related to research and/or
development it would be unusual were you to not have such an agreement with
your employer.
As is likely the case with you and your employer, the exact details of such
agreements are personal information specific to the parties involved. The
text of such agreements are not normally public information.
. Ed
Adam Versteegen wrote in message
news:4047c857$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
information.

Haha... Everyone at Borland is under an NDA? Everyone?!
And who's the presiding authority over these NDAs?

Obviously SOMEONE at Borland has the authority to decide
who's allowed to say what and when. Or maybe thats the
problem... They've all signed an NDA and noones left with the
authority to override the NDA's <g>. Maybe thats why we don't
hear anything?

Re:Re: Open Letter concerning the VCL

You either already know the answer to that or prehaps you came in late or
haven't been listening. If something is imminent or essentially guaranteed
to yield, it is announced. When it isn't, then it isn't.
As for the announcements regarding .NET, they relate to things done in
cooperation with or agreeement with others and the timing of such
announcements are colored by the other party's desires and by the terms of
the agreements.
. Ed
Randall Parker wrote in message
news:4047cb94$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

Who is the boss of the legal department? The CEO of the
company. Who sets the rules?
The CEO.

Why have we heard stuff about .NET support many months
before it is available while we haven't heard stuff about the
Win32 VCL support? Can't blame the SEC for that one.
The authority clearly lies within Borland. The reason for our
being kept in the dark is a decision made within Borland.

Re:Re: Open Letter concerning the VCL

"Randall Parker" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in
message news:4047cb26$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
And so why don't they make public announcements?
You would have to ask the legal department. They are the ones that held up
the Open Letter earlier.
Gambit

Re:Re: Open Letter concerning the VCL

Ed,
But they said they were going to bring out a letter about their future VCL plans.
That letter was, when they announced it, supposed to come out many months before
their next BCBX version release. So how could they say then that they intended to
come out with that letter way back then if they were not near an imminent product
release?
I interpreted the announcement of the Win32 VCL letter as an indication that Borland
was willing to reveal a future direction many months in advance of the release of a
product. Did they wake up and say, oh no we can't do that so far in advance?
As for the .NET plans: I seriously doubt that MS made them announce those plans many
months in advance of the release of a .NET supporting version of BCBX.
BTW, Borland was willing to release a preview version of the wxWindows designer many
months in advance of the release (which still hasn't happened yet) of a fully
functional stable wxWindows designer. The preview, being not really suitable for
serious production work, was essentially a statement of intent. Borland could have
since done the same with a Win32 VCL designer as a statement of future intent
(provided that such a Win32 VCL designer exists in Borland) and made it available as
a download to BCBX v1.0 customers. But said preview is not to be found in public view.
As for the "guaranteed to yield": Yes, my guess is that Borland has not internally
irrevocably committed to supporting a Win32 VCL designer in BCBX. So there is no
guarantee to yield and hence no second letter.
BCBX v2.0 will probably be the announcement of their plans (if any) for Win32 VCL
designer support.
Ed Mulroy [TeamB] wrote:
You either already know the answer to that or prehaps you came in late or
haven't been listening. If something is imminent or essentially guaranteed
to yield, it is announced. When it isn't, then it isn't.

As for the announcements regarding .NET, they relate to things done in
cooperation with or agreeement with others and the timing of such
announcements are colored by the other party's desires and by the terms of
the agreements.

. Ed

Re:Re: Open Letter concerning the VCL

Vladimir Stefanovic wrote:
It's also dangerous when I want to cross the street and
no one is trying to stop me or the cars ;) Maybe in the
future I'll be in the obligation to have a special mark on
my clothes...
I guess it is in the interests of system security, which every
day becomes apparent, that it is easily compromised in new
and different ways. Or maybe MS has a secret pact with
Intel to necessitate that we all buy faster hardware... ;)

"Chris Uzdavinis (TeamB)" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I do not read Remy's post as being defensive in any way. What did I
miss?
Sorry - this is a feeling that grown over time... it feels like many
TeamB:ers are trying to explain what Borland is doing, without
being able to say anything, which results in "un-information" ;-) ...
Noone can comment on that until it is actually announced.
Noone can comment on that until it is actually announced.
Noone can comment on that until it is actually announced.
I agree that the post itself was not defensive - it was only in my mind it
was...
/sten

Randall Parker wrote:
The reason for our being kept in the dark
is a decision made within Borland.
Did you ever see that movie Weekend at Bernie's?
Borland == Bernie?