BCB 5 Licensing Issues

2004-06-17 04:44:31 AM
cppbuilder95
If I had a 20 year old car, I could still get it registered. Why not BCB5?
When I joined the company in '87, I bought a BCB3 Enterprise. When BCB5
came out, I upgraded. As more developers were hired, we bought an
additional 10 boxes - nearly fractured my AMEX card at about US$23,000.
Now, we have more developers using it. We tried to buy more licenses from
Borland last year. email went unanswered - not unusual.
We really try to be a 'legal' company. Our network guy hunted down
installations of BCB5 and found about 24. Most of these were temporary, on
servers, to do debugging. Yeah, I know 'remote' could have worked but most
developeers didn't know that at the time. So, he ordered up 13 copies of
BCB6 Pro to try to get legal. (We used to use Enterprise for the BDE and
SQL Links. We no longer use that but use ADO Express instead. That comes
in the Pro version.)
So, how does a company stay legal with software if the vendor ignores us and
apparently refuses to sell anymore licenses?
I'd really like to hear from a Borland person on this. However, until that
happens, if ever, I won't be losing any sleep over it.
- Arnie

Re:BCB 5 Licensing Issues

Arnie Mauer wrote:
We tried to buy more licenses from
Borland last year. email went unanswered - not unusual.
You mean Borland is turning your money away ????
Interesting marketing strategy ! quite at odds with the{*word*106} Turpin
approach of MS.

Re:BCB 5 Licensing Issues

Arnie Mauer wrote:
If I had a 20 year old car, I could still get it registered. Why not BCB5?
Your analogy is flawed. You aren't asking to register your car. You're
trying to go to the car dealership to buy a brand new 1998 Ford Mustang,
because you like your old one so much. Maybe if you're lucky you can
find one at a used car dealership (ex. eBay or a yard sale), but I don't
find it surprising that Borland doesn't want to sell you an old product.
No other business would.
I'd suggest that you could buy BCB6 to keep your conscience clear (which
seems to be what you've done), and if you prefer to use BCB5 instead I
doubt anyone would object.
--
Gillmer J. Derge [TeamB]

{smallsort}

Re:BCB 5 Licensing Issues

I'd really like to hear from a Borland person on this. However, until that
happens, if ever, I won't be losing any sleep over it.

What Gillmer said.
--
Anders Ohlsson - Borland Developer Relations - bdn.borland.com/
Borland Software Corporation - www.borland.com/ - Excellence Endures
homepages.borland.com/aohlsson/blog_beta/

Re:BCB 5 Licensing Issues

Your analogy is flawed. You aren't asking to register your car. You're
trying to go to the car dealership to buy a brand new 1998 Ford Mustang,
... and finding that the dealership now only sells trolleycars, which don't
look so good next to everybody else's Mustangs in the car park. Yes, they'll
get you from A to B and they'll carry more people, but they're not what you
actually wanted.
I don't find it surprising that Borland doesn't want to sell you an old
product.
No other business would.
What's the problem with this? You don't need media, or manuals. All it
needs is a Borland employee smart enough to know they can make $20K+ for
their company AND keep a customer happy by issuing some new serial numbers
and a copy of the license agreement. Unless they've run out of non-negative
integers?
- Roddy

Re:BCB 5 Licensing Issues

Arnie,
I'm not well-versed on licensing issues, but I think Customer Service should
be able to help you:
support.borland.com/customer_service/default.asp
In the past, I believe C++Builder 6 licenses were sold and used in place of
C++Builder 5 licenses. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but I believe
Customer Service can tell you.
-- YH --

Re:BCB 5 Licensing Issues

Gillmer J. Derge [TeamB] wrote:
I'd suggest that you could buy BCB6 to keep your conscience clear (which
seems to be what you've done), and if you prefer to use BCB5 instead I
doubt anyone would object.
I seem to recall a court case where Microsoft complained about changing
windows back to an earlier version from the one licensed and supplied on
the machine. The court ruled that since Microsoft could not guarantee
that the software the user had wanted to use would work under the later
versions of windows ( basically it failed miserably ;) ) then Microsoft
could not enforce an contract clauses preventing the use of the old
version, if a new version licence was in place!
The software vendors may want to keep us buying upgrades, but then can't
force us to use them :)
--
Lester Caine